Special Stage Forums banner

Theoretical & practical max WHP limit w/ 34mm restrictor?

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  REDrum 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was having a discussion with someone, and I had heard a while ago that, even with a nicely radiused, optimized throat angle, 34mm restrictor, the maximum theoretical horsepower is ~300 whp, due to the inability to flow enough air to support higher whp levels.

Yes, we all know that torque is an entirely different matter, and that torque is what really matters, but just to satisfy my curiosity:

- anyone have any feedback on the max theoretical WHP that can be made using a 34mm restrictor?

- anyone have any practical dyno figures for how much WHP the top-level Open Class cars are making with a 34mm restrictor?

- and, oh, what the heck, since I am asking anyway, how about some practical dyno figures for how much WTQ the top-level Open Class cars are making with a 34mm restrictor?

P.S. if quoting practical dyno figures, please include the make of the dyno used (e.g. Mustang, Dynojet, Dyno Dynamics etc.), if known, since there can be quite a bit of variance in readings between the different makes of dyno (and even the same make, especially if they are using different correction, smoothing, etc. factors).

P.P.S. If necessary, names can be omitted for those quoting practical dyno figures, and who wish to protect the innocent.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.