Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lurch started a great thread in the organizers forum about a new business model for events. They should make money and to do that they need to be promoted, he says. I agree. Hire a promoter, there are very good people out there who don't need to canabalize the sport.

Rally is the coolest, as we all know. The challenge is getting people out to the woods, and safely, to watch the sport. People want to watch the top cars and then leave. Having this chaos occur safely is like making a river flow uphill. Why not give these people what they want? Think about it, our sport is not at all spectator friendly and we still have a ton of them. What if we could make it spectator more friendly?

When I go to a football game it's a fun but tough to follow. Convention says if you want to follow the game, don't go to it, watch it on TV as it happens. Some like the stadium experiene, but there are other choices that increase the veiwership. Can we watch rally, in some form ,as it happens from a safe place? Here is my current hallucination...

I am envisioning a big freakin' tent. It's probably at Headquarters. It might be yellow. There might be a big yellow bus parked next to it. Inside this tent there are 5 or 10 or 15 monitors that are showing real-time, or close to real-time, rally racing on the stages. They are getting feeds from multiple cameras from multiple views from the top cars. They are also getting info from a bunch of cameras in key places on a few stages. There are a bunch of people watching these monitors, it's a big tent after all. Inside this tent is being told the story of the rally with real-time, or close to it, scoring and video information available, maybe that awesome canadian guy is doing it, maybe RA is doing it, I'm not sure. Either way, inside this tent you can sit and watch the rally story unfold and know what is happening as it happens, or shortly thereafter.

There is also an annoying DJ from a local radio station who is in this tent telling everyone on the radio how great the rally is because he has been motivated to do so. Almost everyone in town knows about it. There have been spots on all the radio stations for weeks since the promotor knows more promotion means more people.

See, the rally is being brought to people in a safe place where they can be targeted by advertisers and tickets can be sold for a few bucks.

It is still posssible to see the race in the woods at well controlled spectator areas that charge for admission, maybe 5 or 10 bucks. I just think it's time that there are choices available for the casual fan that might not want to hoof it out to the woods. This way it is not required to be a freak to be a rally fan. You can sorta like it and still be able to enjoy it. There are CHOICES.

Will this cost money and people and time? You damn well better believe it. Would something like this give Lurch's promoter something more to promote in addition to limited access spectator points that cost a few bucks? Yep.

I think it's worth discussion. There is not one puzzle piece that will make wonderful things happen without hard work and new thinking. There is an "if you build it they will come" aspect to any idea. There lies the risk. But look at CORR racing, look at drifting. What can we borrow from these types of events. How about people safely enjoying the sport, being targeted by sponsors, and enjoying concessions. We just have to give the less crazy fan more ways to enjoy the sport. Then we will have more people.

Tear it up.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
I agree with Jake- Every rally needs a W.A.R.T.!!!

I think that Jake, Lurch, Rally TV and others could throw a b*tchin rally!

Jimmy- you need help promoting Cadillac? Hmmm... we could try out some theories there?

I envision hiring a Banana Joes party bus to transport people in style to the spectator areas at a discount(we'd be advertising for them too), and I'll bring Rally TV & the Rally TV girls (maybe a couple extra for this one).

Would it be possible to find a land owner in the area that we could rent or borrow bleachers to put there & grade for a SS? Or even a land owner with frontage on a stage road? how bout allow a couple vendors there for food (how bout the local high school?)

I am all over this. Can you guys imagine if we had a cool WART there near service too? I can also see if my brother in law's blues band is avail that weekend, they played the Woodward cruise. Hey, there's MORE palces to draw ideas from...

Rock on Garth!

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Guys, Sweden, and some other WRC events use Jake's big tent idea...

Well, I dont know if they had a big tent...

They have giant screens on cranes, with scores and interviews and video.

The service park is where it needs to be happeneing... I know the FIA lately hates service parks, but we dont need too.

You could make so much cool stuff go on there.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
get a grip jake

jake you idiot shut your mouth getting all those cameras feeding and hooked up would take a bunch of expensive wires and mounts and people all over the woods and who's gonna get these cameras to transmit from cars and pick it up and beam it to the WART for viewing pleasure?

go eat some more venison you dumb yooper!!!!

There I said it. What about the hardware angle? Would it be possible to send this stuff without spending a few hundred grand? I guess that's just a number I picked out of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>Guys, Sweden, and some other WRC events use Jake's big tent
>idea...
>
>Well, I dont know if they had a big tent...
>
>They have giant screens on cranes, with scores and
>interviews and video.
>
>The service park is where it needs to be happeneing... I
>know the FIA lately hates service parks, but we dont need
>too.
>
>You could make so much cool stuff go on there.

I was definitely thinking of the service areas like at the Ranch or at the Atlanta highschool.

Somebody ream this idea. We need to get practical here.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
form what I saw - the Sweden experience in 2003 was canned, not live, footage on the 'jumbotron' ... I think they woudl cut to cars coming across the timing control.

HOWEVER ...

If I remember right Finland 2002, and NewZealnd 2003 had live TV from the stages - maybe others ...

the infrastructure is potentially huge, but I am told that at teh Rocky Mountain Rally a couple years before I hung around ran a TV feed from teh main spectator area back to the service park ... they used packet radio on ham fequencies to do it ... probably not broadcast quality.

These are great targets to have, and promotion of the events needs to become more professional if we want our series to grow. Better promotion and a professional approacg may allow us to rally for significantly less money

G

·
maybe inside the Hot Wheels tent we could race Hot Wheels on those cools 70's style orange tracks, with multiple kitchen tables set up with the little clampy thing to make them gooo fast.

Vrooom!

At least Hot Wheels isn't making folks put big ass stickers that say "Hot Wheels" on the cars. Or are they?

Really, you do have to create some spectacle, and sell the lifestyle as much as the sport itself.

Check out the Sea Otter cycling deal in Monterey, CA. I find mountain bike racing insanely boring to watch- it's very much a similar situation to rally.

They bring in some lifestyle companies, set up booths, make it a little circus, and the race is just another key to glue it all together.

Races can always be better watched on TV. Something has to be added to make it an "experience".

You could always start at the beginning- who do you want to attract to events? Are they male? Female? Marital status? Do they bring their kids? Do you want them to buy something?

Tweak your presentation on who you are presenting it to. Off hand, I don't recall anyone really working on who they want the event to appeal to, certainly not in any detail.

make any sense?

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
decals

Required at tech, in the protected space. However, I believe that there was NO sticker nazi.

>It appears at least some of the cars had the little swoopy
>logo in the protected space on the doors but at least it was
>hard to read!

press on,

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
DJ Dude: Ok folks, if you look up on monitor two you'll see some live incar of Martin and DeMotte going up the mountain on stage five. Hmm, seems like they are having some sort of electrical trouble there....wait he's up on berm now... omigosh lookit that he's on two wheels....oh no they rolled! Quick turn up the audio and maybe we can hear if they are all right.

Engineer turns up the audio. Still dead silence.

DJ: Turn it up more we can't hear anything, my God that was nasty. Hold on folks, I see some movement. Turn up the volume some more...

Engineer cranks the audio. Everyone listens intently.

DJ: Shhh, everyone quiet and listen, it looks like he's gonna say something...

Driver (at the top of his lungs): FUUUU#@$^$#!!!!

2 seconds elapse.

Codriver (at the top his lungs): [email protected]%#$!!!!!

Women and old ladies scramble to cover children's ears as a now non stop rain of obscenities flow from the audio feed at full volume into the the WART.

The engineer scambles to turn down the volume and/or cut the feed.

DJ Dude (sheepishly): While folks, good news, it sounds like they are all right!

Jake Himes and all the yooper women (in unison): Wow, dat was preddy cool, eh?

Mark Utecht: Dammit, he did it wrong. When he gonna listen to me and learn to crash the right way. (sorry Mark, couldn't resist!)

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Of course the live TV form the car has it's downfalls, and even more so if the driver and co-drover don't start swearing ... something I don't think any organiser woudl want to deal with.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
>>
>Jake Himes and all the yooper women (in unison): Wow, dat
>was preddy cool, eh? >

It's not "Wow", it's "WHAAAAAAHH"

>Mark Utecht: Dammit, he did it wrong. When he gonna listen
>to me and learn to crash the right way. (sorry Mark,
>couldn't resist!)
>
>Dennis Martin
>[email protected]
>920-432-4845

Dennis

Almost all DJs almost always have a 6 second delay that usually works when they remember to press it at the right time. I just hope nobody can swear for longer than 6 seconds. Good thing WHAAAAHH ain't a curse. That word can go on for almost 3 seconds by itself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would think I would miss the raw sounds, smells and dust you get when you watch a rally live. My neighbor loved Sno Drift and the hard core crowd that showed up to cheer the cars on. He said the crowd was half the fun.

Jake you do have a good idea to attract the masses. Heck if bass fishing can be held in a staduim with video feeds and the final weigh in being done live with a huge crowd cheering, than rally certainly can be made more approachable with the right promoter. (I really didn't watch the bass weigh in):7

·
Registered
77 Posts
Speed vision used to do something very similar to this at the mount washington hillclimb a few years ago.

there was a big ass tent at the bottom and they would have cars on showcase in there, and food, and stuff for sale from rally sport online or something. then there was the screens showing current times and IIRC there was a video screen linked to a camera at one of the more spectacular dirt corners.

I was usually working finish so i only saw the video screen after the race was over, but everyone said they had cameras up the side of the mountain linked to it and that's what they showed on it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So we know the following-

1. Rally is definitely interesting enough to be promoted successfully. Especially if people watch golf and fishing.

2. This is not a new concept. People have tried things similar to this before.

I don't think we have to have perfect real-time video but if we could just have something for people to watch while they get scoring info, etc we would be basically there.

What if each of the top 5,10, or 15 cars just had their in-car tapes collected at the end of each stage and those tapes were run back to wherever the WART was located and the tapes were each put up for viewing?

I want to stress that this isn't about stopping spectating in the woods, that would still be done by the ambitious. This is meant only to give a prospective rally fan choices as to how they would enjoy the race.

Going past the Delaware Mine spectator point during transit at LSPR there must have been cars lining the road for 3/4 of a mile. If all those people are nuts enough to go out to the woods, how many casual fans could we attract with a more user friendly model for enjoying the race?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Jake, usually at Delaware (where there's FOOD, thanks to a local Auto Parts Store), there are cars lined up on the side of the road off the highway all the way up to the banner tape on both sides, the little grass triangle there is covered with cars, and either side of the highway is swarmed with cars for EASILY 3/4 of a mile, and of course, you have to slow down to about 20 MPH, because as we all know, your average Spectator ain't too bright.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts