Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. How many of you have read John Buffum's bio by Tom Grimshaw? Go to the back of the book.
Richard

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Who's book about who??? Just kidding. Never heard of it but now I'm going to find it and read it asap. Didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks. I've read McRae and Burns' books already. Can't wait to find this one.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Who's book about who??? Just kidding. Never heard of it but
>now I'm going to find it and read it asap. Didn't know such a
>thing existed. Thanks. I've read McRae and Burns' books
>already. Can't wait to find this one.

It's called In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Lion, which may help you find it. At one point Diane Houseal had copies for sale.

It is a good read, and a good description of the evolution of stage rally in the US. There are some awfully familiar situations, too...

Adrian

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Have heard of the book often, but never got it. WOuld it be worthwhile to post a synopsis of this 'state of rally' here for discussion/argument/endless debate??

Thanks,
Mark B.

·
Feeling like an "old timer."
581 Posts
>It's called In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Lion, which may help
>you find it. At one point Diane Houseal had copies for sale.

J.B. has copies himself (for sale). I know because even though I read my father's copy when it came out (about 10 years ago), I just got my own copy earlier this year.

Matt Kennedy
www.RockyRoadRacing.com

·
Registered
532 Posts
>Who's book about who??? Just kidding. Never heard of it but
>now I'm going to find it and read it asap. Didn't know such a
>thing existed. Thanks. I've read McRae and Burns' books
>already. Can't wait to find this one.

Like someone else mentioned, just call John at Libra or e-mail and order it from him. That is how I got mine and it was only a couple of days. Good read!

Dave C

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
In Like A Lamb, Out Like A Lion

I bought two copies from TD Grimshaw, his own bad self, about five years ago. I gave one to my codriver at the time (EMily Louise Burton-Weinman - who must be getting close to completing her studies for a law degree) and kept the one that has "To Mad Mike Halley, a good friend, a good rallyist, and aptly named. Tom Grimshaw March 2000" inside the cover.

I guess that quote represents Tom's answer to the "rallyist -vs- rallier" question posed on the forum some weeks ago.

Since it's been half a decade I guess I should read the book again ...

Thanks for the reminder Richard - now what's up with this whole thread???

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
924 Posts
Just bought a copy at Maine Forest, finsihed it in about 4 days. it should be required reading for getting a competition license, know your history (or at least JB's contribution to it).

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: In Like A Lamb, Out Like A Lion

>
>Thanks for the reminder Richard - now what's up with this
>whole thread???
>
>Halley ...
>BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
>http://www.realautosport.com
The exact same problems John and Tom pointed out with rally and publicity and making the big time show back 10 years ago are still with us. These are: TV, spectators, press coverage, sponsors, etc. We still have the same problems. Maybe we can work through them today if we look back at was tried before and try something different.

By the way concerning the BBBBB, would you accept an event about 350 miles north and 150 miles west? This would still be in territory claimed by Texas in 1836 and still in a desert. But somewhat closer to a bar and a more compact course.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For whatever it's worth, Gene Henderson -- who pretty much was there at the beginning -- wrote the introductory chapter for my book, Performance Rallying, published back in 1976.

Henderson covered a lot of the early days... Bob Hourihan wrote the chapter on the history of U.S. rallying through that point.

When Gene died, I rescanned his chapter and made it into a PDF. You may read it here:

http://www.rallyalmanac.com/henderson.pdf

(It's a 500K PDF, so it will be slow on dial-up.)

If there's much interest, I'll do the same with Hourihan's chapter.

Ironically, Hourihan anticipated most of the issues that came to pass.

And, as a historic trivia question, Hourihan and what well-known Special Stage codriver competed together in the Rally of Finland?

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Enjoyable read.

The observation on the last page about the cost of rallying is very interesting, especially in light of the fact that the piece was written in 1975.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>
>If there's much interest, I'll do the same with Hourihan's
>chapter.
>

Well, I'm interested in reading it.

>And, as a historic trivia question, Hourihan and what
>well-known Special Stage codriver competed together in the
>Rally of Finland?
>
Oooh, I know, I know, pick me, teach! Somewhere I have a picture of them in mid-yump forwarded to me by said co-driver and newbie (yeah, right!) steward. If I find it I'll repost it.

Kent Gardam

·
No!... My left!
147 Posts
I know too! But what I want to know is, if it's true that Bob really used his Ford stock to pay for the foray?

·
Registered
117 Posts
i got mine from believe it or not walmart. .com that is. Was only like 7 bucks. Probably don't have it anymore that was 2 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.