Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there really no comments concerning the spectator situation in Catalunya this past weekend?

alan

·
Registered
555 Posts
I personally found it mind boggling that the stage still ran with the cars as close as they were!! Did you see it?? They sometimes were on the road!! I realize that the organizers definitely felt pressured to at least let some stages run, but that is still no excuse for a lack of regard towards safety. In my opinion a lot of those stages were unsafe and should have been canceled. If carlos actually hit the car, or worse someone, rallying would have a serious problem on it's hands! As terrible as it would have been to shorten the day more, it should have been done. We do not want or need a serious situation like that on our hands!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Just goes to show that there are organizational problems on all rallies and that there probably are not enough tow trucks in all of Spain to haul out that many cars!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I have to wonder when the fans are going to get the idea that if they don't voluntary change the problem, they are traveling to the stage for nothing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The problem is they travel there once a year to get raucously drunk with every other person in spain. have you ever tried to reason with a drunken mob. well the organizers are not trying to open that can of worms. these are the same people that run down the street with bulls chasing them hoping to not get trampled. standing on a rally stage is not much if any different. this type of ammusement is a national pastime in spain and no one will have much luck changing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Examples of Catalunya spectator "clusterf***s" in the WRC last weekend is why it is even more IMPERATIVE that we North Americans try even harder to get a WRC event in Canada (Charlevoix Quebec) OR the United States (???????)

Hmmm...never really thought where a WRC event would take place in the USA...West or East ?????

I would vote for Charlevoix Rally in Quebec. This area and population are the HARDCORE Performance Rally fanatics of North America and are better prepared, supported and ready to put on a WRC event as this rally has been under the watchful eye of the FIA for, to my knowledge, at least 2 years.....and so far they have done an awesome job!!!

At least as spectators we North Americans aren't so damned obsessed with doing whatever we damned well want. We seem to have a sense of order within us that would cause us to at least obey the rules set down by organizers. This would make for a hell of a lot safer rally for all teams,drivers and spectators.

Richard Michaluk
Day Trippers Pro Rally Team

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>If Carlos actually
>Hit the car, or worse someone, rallying would have a serious
>problem on it's hands!

As horrible as that would be, it likely wouldn't be that big of a problem in real terms.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, BUT I think the USA is one of the few places in the world where you can buy coffee with a REPUTATION for being too hot, spill it on our own lap, and successfully sue the company that you asked to give you the coffee. A decision that was clearly morally and fundamentally WRONG!

You have to remember that the Killer B's were banned, and so named, after going off into crowds and taking lives, that didn't stop rallying.

YES, safety is important and all measures should be taken to ensure the safety of the fans and the crews on a hot stage, but at some point people MUST take responsibilities for their own actions.

European rally fans KNOW what can happen and are familiar with the sport. With Sainz's accident, I wonder who bears the costs

- Physical damage to the WRC car
- Potential financial loss an emotional stress for Sainz if the crash costs him the championship
- Lost income to the organizers because SOME fans stay away, or ask for refunds because of cancelled stages?

The litigious nature of the United States is probably the single largest factor if they don't get a WRC round. Simply saying that you can 'get insurance' for the event is one of the reasons insurance is becoming so expensive!

That's enough ranting for now

Keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now, Ricardo all we need, is big a$$ sponsor. Big enough, to pay works teams travel and shipping expenses, or maybe when Mexico get its own, organize our WRC event two or three weeks apart to save deneros by splitting cost with Corona? Something to think/dream about :9

1 - 9 of 9 Posts