1,194 Posts
>didnt mark higgins bail on these types of cars due to thier
>high operating cost and switch to a used GN WRX that he just
>placed 15th OA in corsica?
>
>to answer my own ? yes he did.
>
WRONG

He was running super 1600 cars not these ones. The supper 1600 car cost about $100,000 and has things like sequental gearboxes, 220 Hp, etc. Supper 1600 cars run in the A6 class. The supper 1600 or the Junior World Championship car was designed after this artical came out so there may be some naming confussion.

The 206 Cup, Polo Cup, Clio Cup etc use standard H patern gear boxes, make more like 150-180 HP and are very basic, a fully built ready to start Clio cost about $19,000 new. These cars typicaly run in the N3 class (the 206 is an A6 car however but still not a super1600 A6 car). Used 206's and Polos are anywere between $7,500 and $22,000. Operating cost compare well to what I spend to run my Golf in the US and Canada. In some ways they even have better limits on costs, 206 cup limits the number of tires you can use a day for example.

I suggest that everyone read ALL the information at:

http://www.peugeotsport.co.uk/206supercup/

to learn more about this one make championhip now on its 15th year of running in the UK. The 206 Super Cup is the most expensive of the ones I have looked into but there is good info in english so go read it.

Some highlights for those to lazy to go read it all:

Peugeot provides a truck with spares so you do now need to buy them till you need them. (I likely have $2000 of spares sitting in my tow truck that I may or may not use)

Peugeot provides $150 to every team that starts to lower entry fees.

Peugeot pays $15000 out betweent he top 10 teams at every event.

At the end of the year about $20,000 is paied out to the top teams for the year. The winner gets a drive in the Super 1600 206, you know the class Mark Higgens was in that cost too much, but in this case Peugeout picks up the tab.

The Campionship is set up so new drivers will earn the events they need at local (club events) prior to the championship moing to larger events later in the year.

The car runs on pump gas only, no race gas is allowed.

I hope that the folks putting together the SCCA/Lancer one make class took a good look at these rules, it is a real education.

Derek Bottles

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I used the $ to mean USD. I do see that the prices have gone up a but since I last looked and the $ has gone down so on the currnet sample my prices are a bit low but that is not the point. Now for a shocking consept - if the used cars sell for about the same as the new ones well then the car cost nothing - it is free.

IE if I take some cash and go buy a 206 for 19,000 pounds run it for a year and then sell it for 19,000 pounds what did the car cost me?

Now others may not have 19,000 pounds sitting around so they need to get a loan. They would pay about 4000 for the year in intrest payments, so the car cost them 4,000 to own for the year.

All other cost are operational cost and every rally car has those.

Think about this - it may be cheaper to own a $30,000 lancer than it is to build a Xratty - it all depends on the reasale value. Now if Mitsu offers to run the car though their financing arm...

I have long said people should not fixate on the price of the cars, look at resale, operaitonal costs and earning potintal. The $30,000 cars may be the best bargans.

Derek

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.