Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that a new day has dawned in the hallowed halls of our sanctioning body. I viewed with interest that they have allowed one of our representives to travel to Europe to view the WRC and hobnob with the FISA. I was also interested to see that this person was believed to be in scheduling meetings with the WRC to ensure that our Factory Drivers had the ability to run both series. I am proud to see that the WRC see us an equal. It makes one wonder, however, about several things related to these issues.
How does a program that has never in it's history made any money have the resourses to allow the expenditures needed to send someone to Europe? How can an SCCA Official make scheduling arrangements with FIA which effect the US without consulting the US organizers? Most of their dates are set by the Forestry Services, Communities, Historic Dates and factor most Organizers can't change. Were they consulted? One wonders. Why does SCCA National believe that the WRC is so important? They (WRC)seem to believe we are not. They were quoted in an Autoweek article as saying that if the US sanctioning bodies could not efford to fund a WRC event in the US then the WRC might. So much for respect. How does a program with limited funding justify the expenditure of money for a 4 to five person staff at national events? There are thousands of local personal in all specialities who could do the same jobs and have it cost US nothing. Oh yes I know we believe that they don't know anything about performance rallying, but who's fault is that? Theirs?
For all to long, about 30 yrs, the performance rally community including the club rally people have kept themselves seperate from the rest of the club. The worst part is that it has been by their choise. Every SCCA driver I have ever introduced to our sport has loved it. They respect our drivers and admit that in general we are more skilled drivers than they are. They club worker base loves our sport and views it at every chance they get. We have a large worker base to tap and use. We can save money and increase our exposure. WE wouldn't get black eyes like the LSPR one if we used the TRAINED officials that the SCCA has at our disposal. What do we need to do to have these resourses made available to us? All it take is for us to ask. I believe that this is 2003 not 1973 isn't it? Maybe we should start to act like it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I belive Kurt met with the BRC, as that is where Milner, Higgins and Laukkanen primarily compete. As for the U.S. getting a round of the WRC, um not likely as it seems that both Canada and Mexico are several steps ahead of us in terms of FIA approval. It is true that we are a more profitable market (no offense Can and Mex) but look at some of the locations that WRC rounds are held and you can see that is not as big a priority.

·
Registered
583 Posts
RE: SCCA & WRC

It's great the independent organizers of Cherokee Trails, Wild West and Ramada Express have courted FIA approval of CNAR. Everybody benefits from CNAR.

It's also great that the WRC might come to Canada or Mexico. I'll wager that benefit to manufacturer sales in the USA can be served just as well from a WRC rounds in Canada and Mexico.

However, SCCA National should stay away from direct involement with the WRC. As a non-profit club with diverse membership interests it doesn't have the financial backing, organizational structure or experience with international intrigue and politics required for WRC. The SCCA general membership shouldn't have to tolerate the customary scullduggery, scandal and resulting financial losses associated with establishing and annually defending a new round of the WRC.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Start Flat 30k Finish
366 Posts
It is true that we are a more
>profitable market (no offense Can and Mex) but look at some
>of the locations that WRC rounds are held and you can see
>that is not as big a priority.
>

Not if you factor in the fact that Mexico has the quickest growing new car market in NA (now that all the US companies are establishing themselves in Mexico, for the first time the average family can afford to buy cars), as well as some pretty serious event sponsorship, as well as loose restrictions on tobacco advertising...

Canada has a pretty serious bunch of organisers, as well as fan base, not to mention support from the Canadian FIA/ASN and government monies...

We've got some work to do here in the US!

Andrew Havas
http://www.andrewhavas.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts