Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004/01/13: For Immediate Release

The Organizing Committee of the Makita Canada Bighorn Rally wishes to announce that, effective the 2004 event, we are leaving the Canadian National Championship. The 2004 Makita Canada Bighorn Rally will become the 4th event in the Western Canadian Rally Championship only, and will take place on the Sept 25-26, 2004 weekend in Edson, Alberta.

Due to external factors involving several groups, the committee decided that a National Championship was no longer in our best interests to pursue. Since it is not practical to host a regional event one week before a National event in the same region, the date of the event was also moved.

The calendar of the Western Canadian Rally Championship spreads out better and more evenly for competitors with the date change. The new time of year for the event also makes it easier for the committee to organize the new, smaller event.

The Organizing Committee of the Makita Canada Bighorn Rally would like to thank the National Organizers Committee, the CARS Board and the National competitors who have supported the event over the last 10 years we have been on the National calendar. It?s been an interesting ride for all of us, and we look forward to having fun with our new, smaller Regional rally in September.

The Organizing Committee
The Makita Canada Bighorn Rally

For more information, please contact Linda Sakaluk at (780) 497-8472 or Dave Sharp at (780) 993-8156.

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
So... will there be tow fund/train support to get east-coast competitors out for a single Western event in May, and a single event in October? And vice-versa for eastern events?

Looking forward to news from CARSland on all the juicy developments from AGM...

Looks like it's going to be a great WCRC championship season!

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is sad....

It was a very well organised event.
all the volonteres made us feel like at home...and even more welcome than at home....we were very happy to come back.

We alredy made deal like last year to drive a otter team truck and trailer.....it was all figured out....we were going 99% chance....

I dont know if the deal is still a go for only one rally ?:(

Now..can they bring back the pacific forest in that weekend ? Coz we are up for 2 rally's! and i want to do the Pacific forest! but fall is not a time were we can travel :(

Any way....im pretty shure that me and Véronique will go to the Rocky MTN rally train or not !

A BIG THANKS to the Bighorn organisation it was a great event! I hope you will make it back to the National calender soone! We need you.

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This pulls at my heart strings as I really loved going to the foothills in the late spring. Linda, Andy, and the whole crew out there are some of the nicest people in Canadian rallying. The event will be missed, not least because it is a rare chance for me to stay at home!

Long may Bighorn continue - I can tell you that if the opportunity arises for me to run it in the future, no matter what championship it is in, I will do so. Denison down is pretty exciting!

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dave

Sorry to see Bighorn leave the national championship, on the two occasions I competed there I always had a great time and looked forward to the event as I will continue to do as a regional. I know how hard it is, and how much work is involved to put on such an event. I hope you, Linda and all the organising commitee feel proud of what you acomplished over the last 10 years.

It's interesting that in another thread http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-bin/DCForumID4/458.html on this very forum "not much" happened at the CARS agm, yet only days later you site "Due to external factors involving several groups" as the reason to drop out of the championship. I hope we will hear officially what these factors were and won't have to rely on rumour and heresay.

Just when western competitors felt they had a chance on limited budgets to contest the national series, we are now at a distinct disadvantage again. We once again have a championship where eastern competitors need never travel further west than Ontario to compete in two thirds of the series but a westener must travel east at least once to compete in only half the series. I don't feel this can be good for the sport.

Once again, thanks for your efforts, they were appreciated.

Martin Wilson

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
> We once again have a championship where eastern competitors need never travel further west than Ontario to compete in two thirds of the series but a westener must travel east at least once to compete in only half the series. I don't feel this can be good for the sport.

Martin - The reality is that in the west we all have 20 hours of towing to do 2 events, and MUST travel east (100hr tow, or train if it comes through) If you live in Toronto (doesn't everybody) you can qualify for the Canadian Championship with probably under 40hours of towing.

Having talked with one of the organising committee, they are not looking at this as the end of anything ... far from it. The bighorn has managed to work extremely well with sponsors, and is actually looking forward to a much more exciting future, and big things to come.

ACP, Brian, and prety much anyone shopuld know that you are allways welcome to come and enter Western Canadian Rally Championship events. We run a 6 event championship, at least one of which is recce/pace notes. Teh series is already healthy, with an 18 car start list at our last event, and looking at over 20 cars for Cochrane in March.

and let me join the chorus of praise for the effort put on by each and every organiser that stepped foward to put the bighorn , Edson AND Hinton on the map. I know that that rally has brought a great many active and productive people into our sport. Well done!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>It's interesting that in another thread
>on this very forum "not much" happened at the CARS agm, yet
>only days later you site "Due to external factors involving
>several groups" as the reason to drop out of the
>championship. I hope we will hear officially what these
>factors were and won't have to rely on rumour and heresay.

Martin;
Next time I see you at a rally, we'll sit down, have a beer together, and I'll tell you the whole long story. Too much to put into writing, if you get my meaning.....

>Just when western competitors felt they had a chance on
>limited budgets to contest the national series, we are now
>at a distinct disadvantage again.

Actually, you know what? This makes it BETTER for western competitors to compete in the National Championship. I know that sounds ludicrous, but let me show you the math.

In order to qualify for the Championship, competitors must do a minimum of half the events rounded up. With Bighorn, the Championship was 7 events, so that meant you had to do 4. You had to do the 3 western events, plus 1 down east.

Without the Bighorn, the Championship is now 6 events, meaning you must do 3. So, you have to do the 2 western events plus 1 down east.

The only difference between the 2 scenarios is that, without the Bighorn, you're going to save 1 National entry fee.

You can certainly enter the Bighorn if you wish, and it will be at lower regional rally entry fees, but at least you save 1 mandatory National entry fee.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Darn - I was looking forward to the Bighorn in May - Well I guess it just gives me more time figure the whole rally yhing out.

I will be there in September.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dave

Yes, you are right, see what happens when I post early in the morning without consulting my rule book:) I thought in any event a competitor must compete in a minimum of 4 events.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts