Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New rules are being introduced for H class that remove its association with Group 2 and Group 5, as well as introduce a rolling 25-year minimum age for H class cars.

This means that Audi Quattros will soon be eligible for H class, followed by Group B cars. I am worried that once the high bhp, AWD cars start to become eligible that could cause a problem for the class.

Given the number of H class cars that enter events, this may seem like a stupid thing to be worried about. However, I see this class growing in the future and I want it to be viable for older cars by the time I get around building a car.

Any suggestions on how to keep the class competitive once the really fast cars become eligible?

alan

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Simple, when there are enough turbo 4wd cars, split the class into 2wd and 4wd.
Seems easy enough.
And you have plenty of time at the rate things are going.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>Simple, when there are enough turbo 4wd cars, split the class
>into 2wd and 4wd.
>Seems easy enough.

Ah, but it isn't.

Part of it depends on how you look at H class. Do you think of it as a true competitive class or more of a exhibition class?

If it is a true competitive class, then it already has a problem. Presuming that Glenn and I have the same driving skills (BIG presumption), my proposed Sunbeam Lotus will beat his RS2000 every time.

If it is an exhibition class, then it does not matter. We are just going out to run cool, old cars.

>And you have plenty of time at the rate things are going.

Well, since H class prep rules have no restrictors, there might be an increase in interest once AWD turbo cars meet the age requirement.

Besides, wouldn't it be nice if some planning went into stuff like this upfront, rather than after the problems start showing up and it is harder to get things changed?

alan

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I think by its very nature it is an exhibition class - for example, the competitors agreeing if a car's prep level is appropriate.

Even if we subdivided the class into e.g. 2wd and 4wd, you would still need to add some guidance on things like brakes, wheels, restrictors, etc.

I also believe that overthinking the rules hampered the class' initial growth. I can recall speaking to ~5 people who said "I'd build a historic car but the rules are too restrictive" back on the 2003 rules.

But you knew I'd say all that.

BTW for the "competitive" side, we generally compare our times to the comparable G2 cars - to either make us feel better or worse.

Glenn

PS Alan my RS2000 is a road car, I'm still rallying the Cortina.

PPS if I ever bring a Group B car out, I will give plenty of warnning.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>>Simple, when there are enough turbo 4wd cars, split the
>class
>>into 2wd and 4wd.
>>Seems easy enough.
>
>Ah, but it isn't.
>
>Part of it depends on how you look at H class. Do you think
>of it as a true competitive class or more of a exhibition
>class?
Come on Alan: Cars, guys, gravel, money
Tell me it ain't going to be just like everywhere else in the world.
It seems the biggest competition in the fancier events is the money that CAN and IS spent.

It'll eventually end up as competition, we aren't limp wristed road race weeenie boys, we're manly Rally men and manly Gravel Rally men at that!

>
>If it is a true competitive class, then it already has a
>problem. Presuming that Glenn and I have the same driving
>skills (BIG presumption), my proposed Sunbeam Lotus will beat
>his RS2000 every time.

OOOOOOooooooooooooo! the guantlet is down!
(but I wouldn't be too awfully sure of that......)
>
>If it is an exhibition class, then it does not matter. We are
>just going out to run cool, old cars.

>Besides, wouldn't it be nice if some planning went into stuff
>like this upfront, rather than after the problems start
>showing up and it is harder to get things changed?

Yep, I tried to start a thread on RA called "long range strategic planning" and got told off....

It IS good that the structure has loosened up from the fantasy FIA copy a few years ago.
>
>alan
What's the hold up on the Sunbeam project?
>

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>>If it is a true competitive class, then it already has a
>>problem. Presuming that Glenn and I have the same driving
>>skills (BIG presumption), my proposed Sunbeam Lotus will
>>beat his RS2000 every time.
>
>OOOOOOooooooooooooo! the guantlet is down!
>(but I wouldn't be too awfully sure of that......)

Well, he has since corrected me and pointed out that the Cortina is the rally car. Anyway, I am sure that Glenn is a better driver than me (of course, I didn't stuff my car in the snow twice at TBird), so it is a non-issue. Anyway, I think the Sunbeam would beat the Cortina because it beat the successor(s) to the Cortina when it was a current car.

>>Besides, wouldn't it be nice if some planning went into
>>stuff like this upfront, rather than after the problems start
>>showing up and it is harder to get things changed?
>
>Yep, I tried to start a thread on RA called "long range
>strategic planning" and got told off ...

That is a bit of a tougher issue because people have so much invested in the current system and change is hard. With H class, there is just one class and not many cars, so it is an opportunity there.

>What's the hold up on the Sunbeam project?

Time. I had this paying side project that went wrong, but I didn't want to leave my client out in the cold and that sucked up a bunch of my time. We just found someone to finish off the work yesterday. However, I still have RA rules committee work, WSRC chair duties, Evergreen Lotus Car Club newsletter work and a day job and a family.

I almost bought a Sunbeam this month. It was five miles from a good friend's house near Cambridge, already had a homologated cage installed, had all of the interior bits to sell, plus had a rebuilt engine. I think I missed the car by one day. I have been talking to the Sunbeam Lotus Owner's Club as well as a shop that may be selling their rally car mid-year (if their newer car works).

alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts