Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the site below by accident:

http://www.vcalc.net/cu-peo.htm

When I went to register my Curta on the site, I found a number of well known rally names there including Ralph Beckman, Tom Grimshaw, John Bellefleur (who owns 7 Curtas!) and Michel Poirier-Defoy.

Also found lots of very interesting stories from other people about their Curtas.

Doug Woods

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Also listed: Graham Hill from London, United Kingdom. Could it be? And the serial number on his Type 1 is less than 2000 older than mine. Cool.

I got a lot of dust in mine this year running POR and maybe it's my imagination but now the slides seemingly don't move as easily as they used to. Any advice on the best way to clean it?

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
253 Posts
>Also listed: Graham Hill from London, United Kingdom. Could
>it be? And the serial number on his Type 1 is less than
>2000 older than mine. Cool.
>
>I got a lot of dust in mine this year running POR and maybe
>it's my imagination but now the slides seemingly don't move
>as easily as they used to. Any advice on the best way to
>clean it?
>
>Kent Gardam

If memory serves me, the Graham Hill that's the former F1 champ died in a plane crash in '75.

Bill

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Oh, you thought I meant THAT Graham Hill? (just kidding) Right you are, I should have remembered that.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
186 Posts
My wife Dallas has cleaned her Curtas (after the same problem...POR dust inhibits the sliders) with good success, I think by taking them out of the barrels, ultrasound vibratory cleaning, then soaking in some sort of distillate like kerosene or WD40....I'll ask her and post her reply. The method seems to work well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Some more historic info on the Curta as a piece of rally equipment may be found at:

http://vintagerally.com/gear/curta.htm

http://vintagerally.com/gear/curta/curta2r.jpg

I own two Curta Ty.II's. Also chipped in to help buy Grimbo a replacement after the buzzard SOLD his original one. Grimbo without a Curta is like Buffum without a steering wheel.

Might be interested in selling one of my Curtas. I need some cash.

Tim Winker

·
Registered
186 Posts
From CoDriver/Navvy Dallas Smith...

How To Clean The Curta:

1. Remove outside casing.
2. Fill an Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with kerosene
3. Put Curta guts in the cleaner and let it run for an hour or so
4. Remove Curta and allow to drain/evaporate
5. Repeat Steps 2-4 until grunge stops coming out
6. Reassemble. The kerosene leaves a light oil film on the workings.

This is what she does with her instruments and it seems to work well. Since the TSDs we've done (although that's pretty well stopped since the RallyRhybuddRacing program started) have tended to be brisk and unpaved, the dust problem is a common problem.

Of course, I have to point out that while this works for her/us, we can assume no liability for whatever you do to your Curta, even if you follow these instructions to the letter. I can't afford the liability insurance to cover making such statements...:D

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
That would seem like it would be available as a pretty cheap rider to your regular malpractice policy :eek:

Kent GArdam

·
Registered
215 Posts
Cleaning Curtas reminds me of the time I watched Satch Carlson clean his whilst sitting in a truck stop at 2am in deepest Saskatchuwan, surrounded by old ladies on a bus trip. He did it by emptying his coffee cup and refilling it with fuel injector cleaner, followed by frequent dipping and blowing out, this all happened complete with loud expletives etc. All while the old ladies ate their midnight snack accompanied by the gentle odour of injector cleaner. You had to be there!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts