Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official pre-sweep vehicle
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We took the best of 2011 and 2012, and combined it with the best of 2013.

For 2014, we are combining the comfort and facilities of Ukiah with the roads of Walker Ridge and South Cow Mountain. We return to the Welcome Party at Parducci Winery, the camaraderie of the gathering at the Mendocino Brewing Ale House, the hospitality of the Hampton Inn and the Comfort Inn. But we weren’t content with just repeating the best of the past. For 2014, we are welcoming Ken Fowler Subaru as our new sponsor, and we are adding a new finish location, Crush, where we can celebrate the podium winners in the parking lot and the class winners in the banquet room.

A one-pass optional recce with notes will be offered Friday July 25. Take your time on the recce and enjoy the scenery, in addition to fine tuning your notes. Pick up your route instructions and stage notes at the Hampton Inn, our official headquarters hotel. The Comfort Inn and Suites is our official overflow hotel. Both have great pools; bring your swimsuit. Other hotels, at various prices, are also available in the area.

After exploring our great roads on the recce, and passing the tech inspection at Ken Fowler Subaru, come to our famous Welcome Party at Parducci Winery. Free wine tasting, delicious food from Johnny Garlic’s (owned by Guy Fieri) and raffle prizes are included; plus Parducci wines and wine club memberships will be available for purchase.

Saturday morning you and your service crew can tow your car to the Bear Valley Stages service area, which will also function as the start and finish of the rally. In addition to the start and finish, you will have three service breaks here so your crews can get lots of quality wrench time. They can also watch the stage starts and finishes when not tending to your car’s needs.

Bear Valley Stage: The roads are fast, hard-packed gravel with open turns and few switchbacks. This is a coefficient 3 rally with 65+ stage miles. The fastest cars will take about an hour and 20 minutes to cover this, and slower cars will enjoy even more stage time. There is only one turnaround, and that is during one of the service breaks.

Saturday night, after Bear Valley Stages, we return to Ukiah for repairs and refreshments. The Mendocino Brewing Ale House is staying open late for us, and giving us a dollar off on pints of their finest beers and ales. Food will be available and we will have a slide show of Bear Valley Stages running on the big screen. Bring your in-car video and we will run that too. No awards or speeches Saturday, just fun, ale, and maybe a game of pool.

Cow Mountain Stage: The roads are twisty with tight turns in soft dirt and lots of switchbacks. This coefficient 2 rally consists of 35+ stage miles and over an hour of competitive driving. For 2014, turnarounds have been reduced from two to one, and service breaks increased from one to two. Service will be at the air conditioned Lakeside Family Fun Center in Lakeport. What other rally gives you an air conditioned service area?

On Sunday, following Cow Mountain Stages, we will meet at Crush in Ukiah for a podium celebration of the overall winners and trophies for the class winners of both Bear Valley Stages and Cow Mountain Stages. After the awards activities, you can head home (Crush is less than ¼ mile from Hwy 101) of stick around for a fabulous dinner at this very popular Italian Steak House. (Visit: ukiahcrush.com) Great food, yum!

For more information, to enter the 2014 Mendocino Rally, or to volunteer to work the rally, please visit mendocinorally.com

Good luck at Idaho! Go fast, but don’t trash your car; then enter the Mendocino Rally.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rally America has appointed Paula Gibeault as the Official Steward for the 2014 Mendocino Rally. Paula has been a valuable volunteer every year and we welcome her back in her new role.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2014 Mendocino Rally will be an independent event, with an insurance and rules package provided by Organizers HP Rally Group, LLC. The event will continue to be part of the 2014 California Rally Series and the Bilstein Southwest RallyCup Series.

The Mendocino Rally will run, as scheduled, with an optional recce on Friday July 25, Bear Valley Stages on Saturday July 26, and Cow Mountain Stages on Sunday July 27. Don’t forget the Friday Welcome Party at Parducci Winery, with lots of free raffle prizes; the Saturday party at the Ale House, with a $1.50 rally discount on a pint of brew; and our new finish location Sunday at Crush.

The Friday recce is now optional. You will get the stage notes even if you are unable to run the Friday recce.

Either your current NASA Rally Sport license or your current Rally America license is welcome at Mendocino. You do not need to purchase an R-A license just to run the Mendocino Rally.

See you in Ukiah,
Jim Robison

·
Registered
17 Posts
Excellent weekend of rallying! Thanks to Jim, Pete, Paula, Mike, Michel, ET AL for making it happen. The weather was hot as was the competition. I'll try to get the limited pictures I took up later tonight.

-Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would like to echo Brian's comments. Jim, Pete, Paula, Mike and Mchel great job. That goes for every other volunteer that stayed out there with all the heat and sun my hats off to you. I would like to thank the Dukes of Mendocino team for taking me in and treating me so well. I had a blast with Kris and the team. Schedule and finances permitting I may be back in the right seat with Kris from time to time. Brian looking forward to any pictures you may have captured.

Michael Milos
Co-driver Car 41

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
thanks for putting on a great event (even if i couldn't make it in any capacity)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same here, thanks to all the organizers and special thanks to the volunteers!
Also, for anyone who have never done this rally, the roads were absolutely amazing!

Klim

·
Registered
19 Posts
One more from here. Top-notch performance by the organizers and volunteers...and the Cow Mountain stages were amazing. Thanks!

·
The Scorpion King
679 Posts
I also want to thank the organizers and volunteers for a great event. I was really impressed the organization of the event. Plus, it was a stroke of genius to put the HQ right down the street from a Tractor Supply, and the weather was nice too! OK, I realize that my definition of balmy is different than most... The reason that I started with the comments on the organization is that I've always figured that if you have a safe event with good roads, people are willing to overlook some "not so little" things, but there weren't any of those that I could see, and the roads were so fantastic that it could make up for a lot (I'll trust everyone who says that the Cow Mountain roads are even better than Walker Ridge, because I would rate Walker Ridge with the old OTR roads as among the best I've ever driven). For people who think they might like to try it, I seriously recommend going. This past weekend should not have been fun. My car wasn't really ready, I blew a head gasket, I had to tow over 1400 miles in California (which is quite distinct from towing 1400 miles in almost every other state), and the alternator in my truck quit working. I still had a great weekend and will go back.

--
John

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also want to thank the organizers and volunteers for a great event. I was really impressed the organization of the event. Plus, it was a stroke of genius to put the HQ right down the street from a Tractor Supply, and the weather was nice too! OK, I realize that my definition of balmy is different than most... The reason that I started with the comments on the organization is that I've always figured that if you have a safe event with good roads, people are willing to overlook some "not so little" things, but there weren't any of those that I could see, and the roads were so fantastic that it could make up for a lot (I'll trust everyone who says that the Cow Mountain roads are even better than Walker Ridge, because I would rate Walker Ridge with the old OTR roads as among the best I've ever driven). For people who think they might like to try it, I seriously recommend going. This past weekend should not have been fun. My car wasn't really ready, I blew a head gasket, I had to tow over 1400 miles in California (which is quite distinct from towing 1400 miles in almost every other state), and the alternator in my truck quit working. I still had a great weekend and will go back.

--
John
John, as I said before, it was an impressive display watching that little Focus charge down the mountain. You guys had that thing more sideways than most of the AWD cars! Hope to see you out there next year, and more importantly, on both days!

-Brian

·
The Scorpion King
679 Posts
John, as I said before, it was an impressive display watching that little Focus charge down the mountain. You guys had that thing more sideways than most of the AWD cars! Hope to see you out there next year, and more importantly, on both days!

-Brian
Thanks! It felt like we were tiptoeing down the mountain on a pair of skis! Here is the in-car of the last two miles of SS1. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to reposition the camera after I added the new piece of cage padding to the front bar.
[video]http://www.suosalmirallysport.com/in_car_video/MR_2014/MR_SS1_tail.mov[/video]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts