Special Stage Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is that really a 77, cause everything except for the front fenders and grill says it is an 83 or 84 rabbit GTI. May be worth double checking cause the motor in the GTI is bigger.

It's a '79. I don't think there is anything different between the early and late cars externally besides the front grille, light and fenders. The drivetrain certainly isn't stock though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i dont know, but the insurance says its a '77, and so does the log book.

·
Spectator Wrangler
830 Posts
The shell has Westmoreland-style side markers and taillights. Westmoreland built Mk. 1 cars from MY 1979 - 1984. The front end is from either an earlier (-78) or German-built shell. German built MK. 1 shells used round headlamps and horizontal side markers until the end of production. The swap to 7" round lamps was popular at the time. Think of it as an early version of " Euro-look". They were preffered for looks and perceived better light patterns.
Given the shear number of VWs that the Van Dammes had to play with (and the parts interchangability) a visual id would be very tough. VIN would be the way to go. Given that the government mandated VIN numbers start in MY 81, a 77 VIN should start 177XXXXX. 79 VIN should start 179XXX. The third digit indicated the MY though MY 1980. After model MY 1981, the tenth digit is the MY.
I'd also check in more than one spot. Look for a stamped VIN (firewall?). The dash VIN is either screwed or pop-rivited in and would easy to change. Or so I've heard but changing one would be a felony.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Oh, I thought that post after my photo was in response to my car.... you guys are definitely right that the white VanDamme car looks like at least an '81 with a round light conversion. I can't imagine why they would bother swapping all that ugly DOT crap onto a '77.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
gonna be getting this back into the shop hopefully pretty soon...
within the next week hopefully.

someone from gaylord is coming to look at the car for a looser sum of $650.

but that historic rally car series, why dont they run the POR?

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
but that historic rally car series, why dont they run the POR?
POR has a Vintage class already. It hasn't been very well subsribed since the late 90s and early 2000s though.

Since we lost Eric Jones a couple of years ago - there has been little to no competition in the class at all.

Is there a chance you really don't mean POR when you say; "POR"?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did I get it right..?

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Did I get it right..?
Not quite.

Press On Regardless will be run out of Indian River this year. It is no longer a stage rally, but it is still a very challenging event and well worth running.

The stage rally run out of Houghton is called Lake Superior Pro Rally (LSPR).

There still seems to be some animosity among the non-Detroit region rallyists who feel the name POR should have stayed with the stage rally. While the argument has validity - it didn't work out that way. It's a long story and one that I am not interested in rehasing.

For more information on the real POR - you can visit the Detroit Region SCCA website (www.detroit-scca.org)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
oh, everyone up here still calls it the POR..

okay, does the Vintage rally series run the LSPR?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
its sitting in the weeds because of a few things..

Not alot of cash
Other projects

and
No help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Updates!

We towed the car back, right into our auto's shop!

this is kind of the class project, and the teacher, Mr. King loves it, so we'll have some updates hopefully everyday.

Today:
Up on the lift and the tires off for inspection.

The car is real solid, will require the usual sitting work, but we are still unclear on the future plans for the rabbit.
We'll start by doing the basics, running, driving, and stopping.

ANYONE who is in the Marquette area that knows anything about rallying, the VanDamne rabbits, building rally cars, the VW rabbit itself, LSPR or anything realated, it would be GREATLY appreciated if you would stop in during the autos class to take a look, and maybe help us with the car.
Reply oon the thread or PM me if your intrested, the MSHS autos class would be very thankful
Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Updates!

We towed the car back, right into our auto's shop!

this is kind of the class project, and the teacher, Mr. King loves it, so we'll have some updates hopefully everyday.

Today:
Up on the lift and the tires off for inspection.

The car is real solid, will require the usual sitting work, but we are still unclear on the future plans for the rabbit.
We'll start by doing the basics, running, driving, and stopping.

ANYONE who is in the Marquette area that knows anything about rallying, the VanDamne rabbits, building rally cars, the VW rabbit itself, LSPR or anything realated, it would be GREATLY appreciated if you would stop in during the autos class to take a look, and maybe help us with the car.
Reply oon the thread or PM me if your intrested, the MSHS autos class would be very thankful
Thanks!

You have the perfect person for this right in Marquette , Well Actually 2 people....

Kevin D on here ( Look in the LSPR Official Rumors Thread ) Use to to co drive in those cars and is a good family friend. Also Craig Sobzak from Soapy's Auto Body 906-228-7680 ( Owner ) Also co drove in those cars and built / raced rabbits for a few years...

EDIT: Oh and Deano ( Sorry Dean )

Tim

21 - 40 of 65 Posts