Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i figured i might as well make the official thread for my 1977 Vandamme Rally car (Ret.)

Well, i finnaly pulled it out of the junkyard and brought it back to my camp.
it was sitting in the yard for about 5 years...

Now we begin the planning/tear down stage...

These pics are after we towed it to my camp, and my "team" and i were fast at work tearing into it, and cleaning.

The main problem with the car is in the fuel system, we had the car running by spraying starting fluid in the intake.

our plans for this car are to thrash all summer and have it done by the LSPR POR rally in october.

heres my questions...
What class is this gonna run in?
What are the updates that i need to do?
What are the requirments for this car to run in october?

What do i need to do to myself, personally to be able to drive this car in the rally?

alright, so theres the intro, we will be towing the car home soon to really start on it.

Now, we need help and guidance!
Keep in mind that we're a group of 16yr old gear heads with mechanical and some fabricating abbilities, and little money.
so, any and all help with be greatly appreciated!
We're located in Marquette Mi, so if there are any rally guys that could help us up here, please give me a shout!

Thank You!:)

·
Spectator Wrangler
830 Posts
First item will be to check the cage. It will already need updates such as door bar and likely the overhead "X". This car, under SCCA rules" might have been built with 1 1/2 diameter tubing in the main structure and this would no longer be legal. An entire new cage might have to be constructed.

·
C.m.f.S.
1,268 Posts
You'll also need some one-piece seats and new 5-point harnesses.
If you need a cage, or any other serious fab work, talk to Silas Himes.
Another marquette guy to talk to is Bryan Pepp at Pepp Motors, hes been rallying a long time.
Is Kyle Sarasin still in mqt, or off on adventures? Kyle sure knows how to drive them fast. His dad has done this rally thing for a while, too.
Getting any of those guys to give the car a look-see in person will be way more informative than guesses online.
There are a number of us rally fellers in the Houghton area too, if the car were to find its way over here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i belive kyle is still off on his adventures, but will contact him as soon as he gets back.

and i will deff. talk to pepp motors.

gosh, i hope i dont have to build a different cage, if thats the case, the car is getting sold.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
First item will be to check the cage. It will already need updates such as door bar and likely the overhead "X". This car, under SCCA rules" might have been built with 1 1/2 diameter tubing in the main structure and this would no longer be legal. An entire new cage might have to be constructed.
Not entirely true.

As an existing rally car from before 2006, it would only need to conform to Rally America appendix 1, which are the same as the SCCA rally cage rules from 2004.

It might need an additional diagonal or "V" in the plane of the main hoop, but otherwise appears to be legal. Of greater concern would be rust on the floor area.

As has been noted elsewhere, contact the sanctioning body you wish to compete with for accurate information regarding cage legality.

for Rally America, contact myself at [email protected]

·
Registered
370 Posts
If this is Tom and Chucks car I pulled them to the finish on the Herman Nestoria stage . They had hit the large water hole near the end and filled the engine full of water.... But the family had a whole host of rabbits.... Fun time when you ran against them to see a gaggle of wabbits running down stages... Kevin D who is on here sometimes co drove for them once in awhile....

·
Registered
332 Posts
The main problem with the car is in the fuel system, we had the car running by spraying starting fluid in the intake.
Looks like it's CIS or CIS-Lambda, right? If you need any suggestions for troubleshooting it, let me know, I have a fair bit of experience with that system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the comments guys, if anyone can offer me help, could you send me your email adress or number in a PM, so i could contact you.

mike, ill email you asap.

thanks!

·
Spectator Wrangler
830 Posts
Looks like it's CIS or CIS-Lambda, right? If you need any suggestions for troubleshooting it, let me know, I have a fair bit of experience with that system.
Looking at the underhood shot, I think it's CIS not CIS-E. Dead giveaway would an O2 sensor in the exhaust. CIS-E would have one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heres a few new pics...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Looking at the underhood shot, I think it's CIS not CIS-E. Dead giveaway would an O2 sensor in the exhaust. CIS-E would have one.
CIS Lambda also has an O2 sensor; it's not as sophisticated as CIS-E, more like normal CIS with some closed-loop mixture control grafted on. I can see in the underhood shots that there's a full throttle switch, which is what made me think of CIS Lambda. It has a full throttle switch but no idle switch.

I know CIS Lambda was fitted to Cabriolets but I don't know if it was ever fitted to Rabbits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone have any info on this car, as in history wise?

i think once i get it home and start to work, ill be able to figure out the FI.
thanks for the input guys...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BUMP.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Its hiding.
someone please give me some enthusiasm to get this thing going!

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Ojibwe is coming (Aug 20-21)
http://www.ojibweforestrally.com/index.php

Nemadji is July 31
http://rally-america.com/events/2010/NEMADJ3A/
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41190

lsPOR is Oct 15-16
http://www.lsprorally.com/

And a whole bunch others (some just across the border in Canada)
http://www.rallyracingnews.com/2010rallyschedule.html

attending rallies (as a volunteer) has always gotten me pretty charged up to get my car on stage. Tried that yet?
press on,

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a bunch of Rabbit Stuff that I cannot use on my car with the current build including a high compression build bottom end, and a spare JH head, along with all sorts of other stuff. Was going to post on ebay but PM me if you want to snag it at a special stage deal.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts