Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to all the workers and my fellow organizers for once again putting on a very good event!

I would also like to thank the 55 teams who started the event, we had at one point 59-60 entries and I think that is a stellar turn-out. (55 starters without the 4 factory cars and the Air Force Reserves!)

I heard only a one comment for improvement: Some of the transits from the Service area to the following stage were tight. Consider it fixed.

Question: everyone got at least a taste of the route book on "the Ranch" Opinions? A few loved it, a few thought it had too many isntructions. (Especially too many instructions for beginners, but then this is a Pro Event...)

Any other suggestions? We are always willing to listen.

Thanks,
Mike
RallyMaster 2004 Sno*Drift ProRally
PGT #580

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'd like to add my thanks to Mike's. I'd specially like to thank the crew at Rally America. They worked hard all weekend to make scores "real time" and were instrumental in resolving any quesitons that arose.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>I heard only a one comment for improvement: Some of the
>transits from the Service area to the following stage were
>tight. Consider it fixed.

I'd agree with this assessment. Though it was really only the one out of the lunch time service that was too tight. The others were just right with the possible addition of 2-3 minutes for tire pressure checks and biology breaks.

Two _VERY_ good things about the roadbook:

1) All the speed limits. All of them. It was a shining example of what transit sections should look like. THANK YOU x 1000!!!
2) At one control, it said "Don't use this area as a restroom." Thanks for the heads-up!

Seriously, the transit sections of your roadbook are exactly what I want as a competitor. Please consider sending a few pages to Sue for distribution to other organizers!

One other good thing - the spectator map was excellent, for general navigation! Co-drivers would probably appreciate a copy for next year.

>Question: everyone got at least a taste of the route book
>on "the Ranch" Opinions? A few loved it, a few thought it
>had too many isntructions.

It was fine for us, but I would say that it was at the upper limit in terms of instructions per mile. I would prefer that roadbooks keep instructions at a ratio of 25% 0.50 50% 0.20 and 25% 0.10 with distances of shorter than 0.20 or 0.10 only as very very necessary.
Beyond that, notes are simply a more efficient system of communication.

>Any other suggestions? We are always willing to listen.

Loved the layout, with shorter transits and central service. Loved the cafeteria and the central location of the RA truck. You guys did a great job, and I can't wait to come back! Definitely one of my favorite rallies, ever.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd like to echo Christian's positive comments and add a couple.

From a co-driver perspective the transits in the route book were awesome.

The transit after lunch was I'd say 2 minutes too short.

The high school was great. I hope we helped those kids reach their goal of a trip to warmer climes. They could charge double next year. $1 for a cup of cocoa AND a donut? I nearly fell over. They sold themselves short.

Routebook for The Ranch was a busy read, nothing we couldn't deal with, but a couple of those instructions could have been left out.

The ATC at East Fish Lake BADLY needs to move about 200 yards further in. Having cars parked up on the main road was a safety hazard for sure.

On a similar subject, there needs to be some kind of traffic control on the main road at the practice stage. With all the extra service vehicles it was rather chaotic and the blind crests on that road I'm sure contributed to at least one minor fender-bender.

Apart from that, nothing else to comment on, except the tremendous commitment of the workers. Every single one of them was a friendly face, even after standing out in the freezing cold for god knows how long. First class. Overall, an excellent event.

Neil.
Team SoCalRally Audi Quattro (and #59 WRX at SD)

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Dittos on Neil's and Christian's comments. I tipped the kids I felt so bad about the cheap prices.

And a huge thanks to the workers! They were all great!

All of the transits seemed fine to us with the exception of the one 10 minute / 7 mile one on Saturday coming out of service. I don't recall which it was without looking it up but we pulled up to the yellow clock at the stage start just as Leon was pulling in the control on the minute in front of us. Also, there seemed to be a little variance as to when competitors would check in to the RTC Outs. Some cars came in a minute early, others waited for their correct minute before entering the control, getting their card noted and then leaving. That might have contributed to the tightness of the leg. Not sure if early is legal but it seemed to be accepted at this event.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>
>On a similar subject, there needs to be some kind of traffic
>control on the main road at the practice stage. With all the
>extra service vehicles it was rather chaotic and the blind
>crests on that road I'm sure contributed to at least one
>minor fender-bender.
>
You got that one right! We've never seen so many service vehicles on the highway, and blocking it to boot. The highway was one lane wide for both directions of traffic, because crews were parked on the road. I won't comment on the lack of intelligence or consideration this took, but count on having traffic control next year.

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
I don't know what you all are talking about. This was a terrible rally! The roads were too icy and the banks were too high! I am never coming back! I hate all that sliding around and bouncing off of soft, fluffy banks.

Of course, I'm kidding. Despite our result, Jeff and I had more fun on Friday than we have had in a long time. Jeff was spot on calling the roads, our crew was great. The roads were a blast. I really want to hear from someone that was at the twisty part of Avery Lake 1 as it felt like we ROCKED through there.

Huge thanks to all the workers and organizers. It was great to see all our rally friends again.

Mark Utecht

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: Something's missing...

- How about adding "RESULTS" bar and page to your web site???
- Ever better if someone bothers to keep results coming during the rally. "Rally America" gossips were useless....

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>I really want to hear from someone that
>was at the twisty part of Avery Lake 1 as it felt like we
>ROCKED through there.

Seeing as many stages as I did, it's all a blur to me. Anyway, here is a pic of you on the last corner of the twisty start of stage 1 before you hit that downhill straightaway (where Doug went off).

http://www.onalimbracing.com/albums/2004snodrift/IMG_1878.jpg

Hell, you can tell in the pic that you're moving right along. If I knew the beginning of the stage was as twisty as it was, I would have walked further up the hill, but it was all uphill so I stayed put :( I'm not used to the car without a wing yet though.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
RE: Something's missing...

Topi,

I'm not exactly sure what you didn't find satisfactory with the results and anecdotal info.

Rally America was posting results in as near real-time as possible (on their web site since they were posting live from the event). And personally I don't care which web site the near real-time results are on, so long as I know where to go and get them.

And while you may not have felt the anecdotal info was very interesting, a lot of us really enjoy them, and it helps us get a flavor of the event (instead of plain old factual dry results). It also helps explain in some cases why someone fell out of contention. Instead of just seeing one abnormally long stage time, and the competitor fall back in the standings, the anecdotal info often gives an interesting explanation as to why.

So, while you may not have thought the Rally America service was great, a lot of us really enjoy it and are very appreciative of the service that Rally America provides for those of us who are not able to attend the event.

Thank you Rally America !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts