Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say an extra special thanks to all those volunteers who were out in the elements at LSPR this weekend! You all deserve our thanks for any given rally weekend, but this one had to be especially tough on you folks. For those readers who weren't there, the conditions were chilly temps with horizontal rain driven by wind speeds so high we could hear the trees cracking all around us in the woods. One stage in particualr had about a 1.5 hour delay while crews cut fresh-fallen tress off the stage. Add to that, it was well after midnight before the stage started (and it wasn't the last stage of the night!), so I'm sure many workers got no sleep Friday night. Add to that it was a 17 mile stage so the marshals were probably placed extra-early. During the delay, my Co-driver and I were talking about how much we appreciated the workers' efforts (while we sat, warm and dry, inside our vehicle). THANK YOU!!! for making it possible for me to rally in my favorite conditons!

I should also thank the sweep folks. You see there was this tree in a dangerous spot on Gratiot Lake stage, so we decided it was our duty to park our truck against it and put out a couple triangles to be sure none of the other competitors would hit said tree and damage their cars or hurt themselves ;) Since visability was poor, we also decided our hood should be up and we should release steam from the radiator so other competitors could see us from a safe distance. When we were done with our mission, it seems we'd parked a little too close to the tree and needed to be pulled off of it. Then for some strange reason our tie rod was sheared off, and our fender and bumper were pushed into the tire, so we needed to be towed out of the stage ... backwards. Sweep was very nice about allowing us the time we needed to do some work on the truck so that addional damage during the tow-out process was minimized.

Jim Cox

·
Registered
169 Posts
Jim you hit it on the head. Barbra up on the brockway had to lean into the wind just to stay put.Thanks to lanz as well. oh ya the music dude also.He at least had a roof over his head.

P.S.

Jim I heard the wind blew a tree down between competitors.

That was very nice of you to push it off the road. funny how you got it to stand up like that.

merbach was here.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The men of Section8 would like to extend a very sincere THANK YOU to all of the workers who stood in the rain and wind so this rally could happen.

While sitting in our car for 2 hours while the tree was extracted, Karl and I talked about how much we appreciated the workers putting up with such crappy weather just so we could play. "Man. All these workers have to be PISSED - especially if they cancel stage 5... I'm glad my Ex didn't come to work this event. That REALLY would have sucked to deal with" I said. Karl agreed. We greatly appreciate you being out there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The workers rock. That's about all I can say. We were so happy that everyone put up with the crappy weather in order to let us have fun. Big hugs to all the workers from the SMS Rally Gang.

-Dave & Stacy

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
A Widget Thanks Too

Wow, the Yooper Worker Corps was mighty tough this past weekend. Nasty weather, big trees, mucky roads--sounds like fun for all.

Thank you, everyone, for pressing on so those of us in the cars could press on too.

It was awesome to see you all there!

John

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
500 Posts
RE: A Widget Thanks Too

From one of the workers: You're welcome.
Oh, and Jim... I was kind of wondering what had happened on 8, but I was too busy trying to not hit the sweep vehicles or get stuck in the mud to look at what happened. You had quite the launch, too. Very impressive to see the hind-quarters raise up just before you rocketed off into the woods.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
A Snowmoose thanks as well

Yeah, I really appreciate the efforts of the workers, standing out in the rain and dark for long hours (and I presume rain and overcast for long hours on Saturday), particularly the ones working Passmore. I tried to thank them personally when I got a chance.

alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts