Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the help on the GTI lead but I'm starting to back track. I went to the ORV Park in Olympia (I live in Washington) this weekend, and got some new ideas... Mitsubishi Eclipse or VW Rabbit. I met sum1 who was trying to get rid of a Rabbit (asked if I wanted it) but I have no where to put it. But I'm thinkin' Eclipse b/c it's already AWD. Now I'm definately a novice in the 'Right Car Department' but hey, I'm keepin' my options open, right?

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Oi RRC,
Not so fast!!

What was the imagined advantage of a Rabbit? That it's done?
Because nobody but a rabid Rabbit fan would even attempt to claim that there could be any advantage in a Rabbit vs a Golf.
Especially for North American conditions, and the fast fast roads we use.

Short cars are not nimble, they are twitchy.
Short cars which don't have all the alignment parameters(camber, toe and very important for short cars CASTOR) adjustable are a handful at speed for even very experienced drivers, and IMHO should be avoided if there is any other choice.

You have other choices. The Golf is a very good chassi, even if it is like all modern cars flimsy, but is substainially stronger than the Rabbit.

As for the Misterbitchie E-clip, the driving position and outward visibility is really really bad, and it is, for it's speed, again short.
Look up the wheelbase for it and then check what the Misterbitchie Gaylant is.
Gaylant has a nice 102 or so wheelbase, good seating position and visibility, and has much better underhood layout for the same powerplant, and easy to get around when trying to service the things.

RRC, there really isn't any reason to rush a decision thatwill not only cost you a chunk of dough in the first place but, if it is done hastily ,cost you way more in terms of service and wasted opportunity if, for the same outlay of cash and effort, you could have been in a better all'round package.

Patience.

PS my own taste would be toward a Golf, competition spares and information are scarce, aside for "buy this shiny new thing".

Are you intending to learn to work on your car yourself?

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad is a good mechanic and rallies himself. And I wanted something that no one else really has. I see people rally Golfs and 'Gaylants' too often. I've seen only maybe 2 Rabbits Rally. And my motto for this hobby is "If it crashes it crashes, It burns it burns. Start again with your newfound wisdom and don't make the same mistake" i.e. live and learn. And I thank you for your earned wisdom. But if I get a Rabbit for free from a parent or friend and it's not my only mode of transportation I'll try it!:) :p :D }>

·
Registered
274 Posts
having riden in several rabbit rally cars, and seeing the
results of them, make SURE you extend the cage through the
firewall into the front. Cross-member the front upper
strut mounts and also reinforce them.

Seen WAY too many rabbit race and rally cars that bend right
at the firewall. Far too weak there. I think Hamiltons
G2 car has a nice 20% upward angle in the front. ^_^

Ed

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm always interested in car choices for novices as the decision is very important during those essential first years in the sport when you're replacing a lot of things....

For pure intelligent choice at any budget level it's pretty hard to beat the early-90s Golfs - basically strong, fast enough, lots of parts, good ergonomics and access etc. Intelligent choice at the super-budget level MAY be anything you get for free, but always consider what it's going to take to make it strong and keep it going. Intelligent choice at the higher budget level has to still be the Evo IV. JV is right about the Eclipse - bad seating, odd handling - a handful.

Want to rally something more unusual? How about the Merkur XR4Ti the JV keeps going on about (not a bad choice if you can find enough of them for parts), or a Gen1 RX7 (still sooo potent when ported) or the Audi 200 rally car about to be sold on ebay for 5,700, or the 323GTX there that didn't make reserve at 3,500 or so, or a Volvo 122 or 142 (also a prepped one on ebay for $2Kish) that will be hard to break, or a Saab 99, or the Opel Manta on ebay for $270 (swap out the automatic...) or or or....

So many cars, so little stage time...

ACP
(from Volvo 122 to Lada Samara to Evo IV)
www.musketeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Andrew, obviously the initial car choice is a key factor in how people ome to regard the old dollar or effort spent to giggle return ratio, it is very similar to the initial forays into the world of amour where the way early experices color the expectations potentially for years.
But the problem always arises of people, usually younger boys who tend to be impulsive, and usually don't know anything at all of what has occured in life or history or sport before the day that they cast their eye in the direction of what ever it is that interests them.

When people say they want to do something that nobody else has, especially when it's something that is or was done so common and done to death as a Rabbit then I know other considerations are afoot than
an intelligent choice. No saying its bad, folks who are so thin skinned out there in inter=net world. just that EVERYTHING has been done, so why not get on with doing something reasonably WORTHWHILE.

>
>I'm always interested in car choices for novices as the
>decision is very important during those essential first
>years in the sport when you're replacing a lot of things....
>
>For pure intelligent choice at any budget level it's pretty
>hard to beat the early-90s Golfs - basically strong, fast
>enough, lots of parts, good ergonomics and access etc.
>Intelligent choice at the super-budget level MAY be anything
>you get for free, but always consider what it's going to
>take to make it strong and keep it going.
right, the ol I have a Pile of Crap for free so I want to expend stacks of money and waste tons of entry fees on something essentially unsuitable argement.

Intelligent choice
>at the higher budget level has to still be the Evo IV. JV is
>right about the Eclipse - bad seating, odd handling - a
>handful.
>
>Want to rally something more unusual? How about the Merkur
>XR4Ti the JV keeps going on about (not a bad choice if you
>can find enough of them for parts), or a Gen1 RX7 (still
>sooo potent when ported) or the Audi 200 rally car about to
>be sold on ebay for 5,700, or the 323GTX there that didn't
>make reserve at 3,500 or so, or a Volvo 122 or 142 (also a
>prepped one on ebay for $2Kish) that will be hard to break,
>or a Saab 99, or the Opel Manta on ebay for $270 (swap out
>the automatic...) or or or....

A customer of mine has moved to NYC and has a really wonerful SAAB 96 V4 fresh belts and away you go in something that there are currently Zero actively competing in USA (since mine is sitting here next to the Cosworth 4x4, hard choice, eh) . It's in Tacoma and is really clean and first class tru out
>
>So many cars, so little stage time...
>
>ACP
>(from Volvo 122 to Lada Samara to Evo IV)
>www.musketeerracing.com
>Flirting with the laws of physics.

But Andrew, last time I suggested that an intelligent choice might be something other than an obscure car to somebody who said they wanted to do something that nobody else had done, I got a stack of rude pouty snivelling e-mail from the boy, so watch or I'll have to shake the finger at ya'.

Oh, and if Rally Racer Chiquita does get a Rare-bit I have brand new rally strut inserts x4 and shocks x1 and springs front and rear so I'd sell these for really cheap to get rid of them. they are Branded as Biltema out of Sweden but are made by KYB to the specs of the Swedish company. Supplied stacks of their stuff in the past and it's quite durable, different than street stuff.

John Vanlandingham

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Have you heard about Dennis Martin's Eclipse for Sale on the 'classifieds' section? His handle is Flyboy. Very competitive and taking up garage space his EVO needs.

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.