Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ojibwe Rally raised over $1500 hundred dollars to benefit the Gift of Pain Charity.

Some of that money came from John Buffum who donated the proceeds from the sale of his book "In Like a Lamb Out Like a Lion". Jake Himes purposely checked in late to the park expo to pay the $100 fine to the charity.

Thank you very much to everyone!!!!

My daughter Gabby has an extremely rare condition called Congenital Insensitivity to Pain (CIPA). She doesn't feel pain at all. While this may sound like a benefit let me assure you that this is a horrible condition. Gabby has lost an eye and is legally blind in the other due to her scratching her own eyes. She had a broken jaw for a month before we figured it out. She has had several serious cuts and burns. When she started teething she would bite her fingers to the bone and chew on her tongue like it was bubble gum.

There are only about 100 cases in the world. We quickly realized that because the condition is so rare that doctors really don't know very much about it all. The only people with real knowledge of the condition were the families who had to live with it everyday.

Because no one else was trying to connect the families we started the charity with the initial goal of being a support group. We have used the media attention that we have received to help find as many families as we could. To date we have over 25 families around the world.

To date the charity has set up a website and publishes a newsletter; we are setting up a medical device lending library, and creating Gift of Pain ID cards. And we are about to start distributing funds to families to help pay for non covered medical related expenses.

The money collected will help us to continue the work we have started.

Thanks again to everyone involved in the wonderful sport of rallying.

If your interested in learning more the charities website is www.Gift-of-pain.org

Thanks again.

Steve Gingras

·
Registered
724 Posts
Steve Greg mentioned it to you at the event and I have to second you need to set up a paypal account so that people can easily click a banner ad on a website to donate I think this would really increase the donations for your charity. Good luck with everything good to see you.

Jeff

·
Registered
724 Posts
Steve I really believe in what you are trying to do, not only for yourselves but also for the other 100 families affected by this condition. Please let all of know when or where we can watch the documentary film about your family, I think it will help spread additional knowledge to the general public I personally found the Montel Show very informative and it brought me a better understanding of Gabby's condition. I hope that we as a community can find a way to support the foundation at every event both Nasa and RA because we need to support our own. I look forward to seeing you at LSPR.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Steve-
My mom has/had an article about a girl with the same disease in Good Housekeeping. I don't have a lot of detail but can find it if you need to, I think my sister swiped the magazine for our car ride home - thats how i saw it and noticed. Do you have contact with those people?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.