Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to install a wheel probe for this computer.
If so can they post some instructions. If anyone has pictures that would be great too.

Thanks in advance
James:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
>Does anyone know how to install a wheel probe for this
>computer.
>If so can they post some instructions. If anyone has
>pictures that would be great too.
>
>Thanks in advance
>James:)

I believe the wheel probe is installed the same way as Alfa computer's shows on his Alfa Web site. (http://www.rally.cc)
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>>Does anyone know how to install a wheel probe for this
>>computer.
>>If so can they post some instructions. If anyone has
>>pictures that would be great too.
>
>I believe the wheel probe is installed the same way as Alfa
>computer's shows on his Alfa Web site. (http://www.rally.cc)

That's not quite the same, since the Terratrip probe doesn't need magnets, but needs to be within 2mm of the items it is counting. It just needs the presence and absence of metal to generate counts. The probe can be mounted to look at wheel studs or similar things. The one on my Subaru looks at a piece of metal mounted on the inboard end of a driveshaft.

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
I have a question about odo in general that I never really understood or got an answer to, how does the odo display accurately by measuring turns of the wheel or the driveshaft when there is so much wheelspin envolved?
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>I have a question about odo in general that I never really
>understood or got an answer to, how does the odo display
>accurately by measuring turns of the wheel or the driveshaft
>when there is so much wheelspin envolved?

Short answer: It doesn't, which is why experienced codrivers are in demand;).

Longer answer: It doesn't, but there are a number of ways to deal with it. In a 2WD car, the odo can run off a non-driven wheel, which is a lot more accurate (although lfb can affect that). In a 4WD car, the wheelspin tends to be evened out a bit, making the error less. In either case, the codriver will likely adjust the factor on the odometer to allow for some amount of wheelspin. 15% is a good 2WD ballpark to start with, but it may take a stage or two to get something that works accurately, and will be dependent on conditions. A 4WD adjustment is likely less (5-10%). Also, calling to incremental distances (rather than overall distances) can help alleviate the effects of wheelspin as the error will be less on the incremental since it is only from the last instruction. The bottom line is that an experienced codriver will adapt the factor(s) to the car and driver, and can be very accurate. This works even better after a team has worked together for a couple of events.

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Important thing to note about 303+ is that it has two calibration settings. Set up one to use on transit sections and another to use on stages.........and look for a good co-driver that can spot when things are going wrong.;)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top