Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a 4 day class at Team O?Neil Rally School. All I can say is WOW, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. For the cost of an average event, I spent about 18-20 hours behind the wheel flogging the piss out of a variety of cars in a variety of conditions. Tim?s teaching method of breaking complex maneuvers into simple steps taught me a ton, something I wish I had done years ago. If you are just starting out or a seasoned veteran it is worth the time and money!

I?d like to thank my wife for giving me the school as a Christmas Gift.

Ralph Kosmides

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
If you are just starting out or a seasoned veteran it
>is worth the time and money!
>
>Ralph Kosmides

I'll second that. I wish I would have went there before I tried rallying. Instead I wrecked a couple of cars first, and then went to Timo to find out why. One of those wrecks would have paid for the school easily. It didn't make me faster, but certainly made me better.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Doing rally school is as much fun as doing an event and I recomend every team take one planned event off their schedual to do a school.

It was only worth 5 seconds a mile for me. The roads are also a lot less cut up if you are say 10th on the road than 45th.

Derek

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
>5 seconds a mile! Dougie and I used to kill for 1/4 sec. a
>mile.

I had a lot of room to improve, but 35ths pre school to top tens after school shows that I did indeed improve even though I exchanged an Open Class car for a Gp2 Car. That is 5 seconds faster in a Gp2 car than I was in an Open Car.

I got 12 hrs of seat time, think about that, that is a whole year of stage driving in 2 days, given the average rally is about 2 hrs.

$$$/Hour school is by far a better deal than doing a rally.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>I'll second that. I wish I would have went there before I
>tried rallying. Instead I wrecked a couple of cars first,
>and then went to Timo to find out why. One of those wrecks
>would have paid for the school easily. It didn't make me
>faster, but certainly made me better.

Man talk about putting the golf ball on a tee for someone....

Dennis did you quit crashing cars after you went to see Tim?

Sorry, I had to.

Jake (who should probably quit smashing cars)

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>
>Dennis did you quit crashing cars after you went to see Tim?
>
>Sorry, I had to.
>
>Jake (who should probably quit smashing cars)

Ok, I earned that one. But seriously, I use to crash and have no clue why, then go out and make the same mistake again. Now when I crash, I know why immediately, sometimes while we are still rolling. I can correct the mistake and learn from it. One thing to keep in mind is that the best school in the world is still only a moderate substitute for experience. At OTPR my driving was fine, I just stuck my nose in someplace I shouldn't have and caught a hidden rock. Tim can teach you a lot, but not everything.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Ditto. I spent just a little time with Tim and can already see I need to go back.

>That is
>5 seconds faster in a Gp2 car than I was in an Open Car.

Goes to show that the most import piece of speed equipment is the piece that sits behind the wheel.

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
I've yet to run my first rally but took a 3-day w/ Tim & crew in January.

Glad I did. Tho the course was a sheet of ice, I think my 'skills' were still downright scary (the original meaning) when I saw what how I did at speed...I finally put it together on the 3rd day. Props to TimO instructors Travis & Wyatt, too.

Still need work/practice but I now know why/how I'm screwing up and what I should have done...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'll second/third/fourth RK's comments. I've been fortunate enough to have had a bunch of days at the school and always came away feeling I'd increased my abilities yet with a greater appreciation of how much there is yet to learn about car control. Whether or not the training translates into faster stage times (I think it does) is probably a gonadal function, but Tim's teaching certainly makes for a less scary ride. Someday when I get back into a rally car, I plan to preface my return to the stages with some time at his school.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For the next three years, I'll be doing a fellowship in Houston TX, i.e. back to school. I don't foresee having the resources to build another car or the time to compete. Once done there, I hope to return....in RWD vintage iron, of course. Would you expect anything else???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts