Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the tarmac that we have run through time (and yes, I do call it tarmac outside of rallying, but I also use boot and bonnet) (the crowd I eat lunch with watches WRC, so everyone seems to know "tarmac");

Brockway at POR/LSPR (rally tires or tarmac tires depending on the year).
Maine - in town, and the newer suburban one.
Rim - pseudo paved.
Pikes Peak (sort of).
Olympus - several (in towns, using freeway on/off ramps).
Barbary Coast (ran Sears Point backwards - enough service time to swap the entire suspension).
100AW 2003 (2 stages - flat out in top gear).
Sunriser - Yoctangee plus some in the woods(?).

I am sure there are lots of others. Help?

Running fast tarmac on gravel tires is the height of stupdity - think delaminating tires (tyres). And remember, running a tarmac stage or two on a gravel rally is WAY different than a tarmac event.

press on,

·
Registered
789 Posts
>Sunriser - Thunder Road. Was that the one where after miles of tarmac, you turned left onto twisty pea gravel, downhill?

Quite the adventure.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, wait, I forgot the dragstrip at PIR during OTPR this year. Does that count?

And the n (I forget how many) laps of the 1/8 mile roundy round track outside Marquette during POR. And the demo stage at Waterford for another POR.

press on,

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
>>Sunriser - Thunder Road. Was that the one where after miles of tarmac, you turned left onto twisty pea gravel, downhill?
>
>Quite the adventure.

You're right.

Sunriser used to run several different stages in Tar Hollow State Forest. Moonshine Express was all tarmac and took you through picnic point on the north and south ridge roads. Thunder Road started on a different road, joined up with the Moonshine Express road but then turned onto Lipscomb Hollow road which was gravel. I worked finish controls on both these stages and everybody had red glowing brake discs! This was before a lot of people were left foot braking.

Paul Jaeger KC8YRY
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It was four laps of Sands Speedway, a 1/4 mi. oval on which the elevation of the back straight was 30 ft. above the front straight.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Don't forget SS1 in Auburn ...

The very first stage of the '83 Forest Hill Divide Rally out of Auburn, CA was an old chunk of state route that was little used after a newer, straighter highway was built ...

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
RE: Don't forget SS1 in Auburn ...

Jimmy mentioned running Sears Point bass ackwards. Nothing to do with rallying, but just as much if not more fun. When I was the bodyguard/chauffeur for the President of SoCal Gas Co. I was sent to Sears Point for a 4 day course of Anti-Terrorism/Anti Kidnap Defensive driving and basically throwing a car around doing things one would think nigh on impossible. The last evening was a "chase".You turned up in your car, I had hired a Camaro with 1,800 miles on it for the week and your instructor let you run free as it got dark. When you saw each other the chase was on. After about 10 mins the instructor called me in and mentioned that I was not going to be "easy meat" for him! When it was as dark as it was going to get, off we went again, for real this time. We used every part of that track, in every direction, flat out most of the time for about 15 mins. He gave up at that point. He didn't get to "kill" me, by forcing my car to a stop, jumping out and touching my car. His car by the way was one of their Bondurant Mustangs with the Lincoln rear end. Got a very good grade and didn't get "killed".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seems to me that Golden West had two or three tarmac stages. One, the
lst stage in Marine County was a 8 mile down hill, one around some island in the delta and of course, Sears point. A ball with rally tires.
ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
jtopping

Presque Isle Park (?) at Marquette,'74 POR.

The downtown Chillicothe park stage, with the big yump surrounded by spestators, Sunriser, many times.

Brockway, but at 1230 AM, (that's dark time) early 80's POR.

Talk about glowing brakes, my first were on Lancia Stratos/Betas at the '74 POR-I can only speculate at what warp they were going, and what risks they were taking with the technology of the day.

Yes those are some old fart memories-but it's not the age but the clarity---the stories I could tell, as can we all.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
In Canada (in my memory):

Sanair
Shannonville - on the racetrack, sometimes run with snow over tarmac, last run in 1995
Charlevoix - various stages up to 1999 - think cold and/or wet tarmac
Tall Pines - used to run a tarmac spectator stage when it ran out of Peterborough
Defi - a couple of stages - Mechaglisse(sp?) two years ago was a hoot

Adrian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts