Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
4,247 Posts
Dude, there are a TON of tarmac stages out there! Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, Heartland Park Topeka, Gateway International, Road America, Gingerman, Virginia International, Lime Rock Park, Road Atlanta, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, Portland International, Sebring, Texas World, Mid America Motorsport, etc. }(

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
4,247 Posts
>I hate the attitude that Gravel = Rally

OK

>and if you want Tarmac
>you should be on a track. Whats the story with that.

You've drawn a conclusion based on a post meant more to continue the friendly banter battle between Dennis and me (notice the emoticon?) than to establish a stand as being categorically against sealed surface stage rallys.

I'll make no bones about the fact that I'm largely disinterested in entering a tarmac rally because it adds to the expenses of rallying across a season, further erodes the ability of true rally drivers to overcome the mechanical advantages less talented/better funded and/or equipped drivers bring to the competition, and adds no particular enjoyment, for me, to the sport I love. That said, I can tell you I am investigating the possibility of organizing a sealed surface stage rally here in northeast Oklahoma because it's easier finding and securing little used, challenging, asphalt roads than gravel ones here.

Also, I've road raced a lot since 1983 but that form of autosport has never generated the fascination for me that loose surface rallying has - and still does. I tell my road race buddies that I'd rather run 2 or 3 stage rallies a season than 20 - 30 road races because the difference in enjoyment I get from the two challenges is that stark. I can also add that racing on asphalt without the door-to-door facet that makes road racing the most interesting dampens my enthusiasm for changing the suspension and fitting new wheels & tires just to enter the Bug in an event in which I am virtually guaranteed to be less competitive.

All THAT said, I will admit to having had some real fun on Brockway Mountain and that very first stage of the 1983 Foresthill Divide Rally (where a short piece of former state highway was blocked off near Auburn, CA and attacked on rally tires) but if I never run another sealed surface stage again I'll not miss them.

MM ...
RealAutoSport, LLC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.