Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Sorry I couldn't post updates here during the week. I was using borrowed computers and working late evenings, keeping kindly Newfoundlanders/rally workers from getting precious sleep.

Class winners:
Modern - Bill Arnold/Tamara Hull, BMW M-Coupe
Classic - Len Cattlin/Gayle Cattlin, '67 Mustang Fastback
Historic - John Lawson/Andrew Lawson, '38 Alfa Romeo Mille Miglia Spyder.

The ex-Taisto Heinonen Toyota did NOT roll, nobody rolled. The DNF was caused by a blown head gasket just prior to the final stage on Day One (Tuesday?). There was a Herculean effort by the Toyota dealer in Clarenville, and by Four Star Motorsports in Toronto who had prepped the car, to locate a replacement gasket. The car has a rare to North America engine, so parts were not available throught the regular Toyota channels. It took a day for the new part to arrive from the Toystore in Calif. The new gasket did not look quite the same, and it did not take. Ultimately the Toyota was pushed across the finish line in St. John's.

One more car went out on the final day. The Datsun 280Z of Jack MacDonnell and Carson Rasmussen hit a curb and bent the left front suspension. There was a CAUTION instruction shortly after another instruction and Carson did not call it soone enough. Pity, as they were leading in Category 5 at the time.

One final note... if you run only one endurance rally in your life, it must be this one. I have run One Lap of America and the Alcan Rally, and Targa Newfoundland is already far ahead of those events in terms of great competition and local support. Every rally should take a lesson from this organizing committee, and this was only their first year!

Tim Winker
co-driver, #502 1976 Porsche 911S

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: Easy fix

Man, I should have been there to fix it....
1. Take an ordinary, US model, 18RC head gasket
2. Make the front part(around cam chain area) out of gasket paper and clue with the THREEBOND mc sealer (or J&B Weld)
3. Go and win rallies....
- That 152E 16V is based on 18RC/RG engine, only the front part is different. Next time hire me! I worked for Taisto and know them.

·
Registered
409 Posts

. Somewhere in the garage are enough spares to re-build another two engines in that thing.

Hey, Topi, when did you work with Taisto? We've got the 1980 Corolla liftback and a whole bunch of spares. It was rebuilt in 2000 by Martin Wilson and Ted Wilkinson and is now terrorizing the back roads of British Columbia.

Tim, glad to hear you guy's made it!

Cheers,

Bill Westhead
co-driver
eAutomobilia Rally Team

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Topi,

You were the first contact I suggested when the Celica came up lame. TRD did not have the part, they located a head gasket at Toysport. The one that came off the car had 92mm bores, the replacement had 87 mm bores. It did not last either, leading Ralph Grant to presume that the head itself may be cracked. He was not happy with having shelled out a pile of money for a car that would not run.

As it was, it took several days to get the car back on the road. The engine problem was deemed serious on Tuesday. The new head gasket did not arrive at the Toyota dealer in Clarenville until Thursday (or maybe Friday). Ralph wanted to run on Saturday, but the car quit again with the same malady.

Tim Winker

·
Registered
768 Posts

Too bad....those 152E engines are soooooo sweet when they're running OK. The best damn Toyota racing/rally engine ever built.
- This must be an ex Bjorn Anderson car? I remember when he and Taisto were gunning at Rocky Mountain Rally and keeping Datsun boys honest.
- I played a funny trick (I was Taisto's crew chief there) 3 stages to go: I had found brand new European rally cross Dunlops in Taisto's garage and took a set with me. In front of Datsun team I mounted Dunlops while everybody was watching. Datsun team went wild! "What the hell...??? You can't rally THOSE??!!"
- We did. Taisto beat everybody soundly, won the rally and an other Canadian Championship.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts