Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 15 minutes into the show and it's classic car carnage...one or two drivers running out of road and talent at the same time.

Well produced show so far...

And later:
More people simultaneously running out of road and talent...

Great sounding V-8's

Fun event; Winker was right.
Fine show. ...worth a Gander. :+

Gravelgeezer

·
Registered
409 Posts
For those that missed it, apparently the program will be repeated. Speed will be repeating the broadcast on May 10th at 10pm ET & May 12th at 1pm ET.

As well, Dream Car Garage will have a spot on Targa Newfoundland with Jerry Churchill on Sunday May 18th. (Check local listings for time).

>And later:
>More people simultaneously running out of road and talent...

Funny how that aspect of the show so resembled the footage I've seen from the Targa Tasmania! Yet more proof that money and a heavy right foot can't buy you results.

All in all a well-produced show. As expected, it would appear that running the event would be more interesting than watching it...anyone need a navvie for the 2003 edition? :+

My only question about Targa timing: what happens if you BEAT your target time by a lot? Do you get penalized, as in a TSD?

Bill Westhead

·
Registered
328 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed the show. It captured the event experience really well. Of course, now it's made me want to do it. Somehow it seems like you'll miss out on the full adventure if you go a modern car. Maybe I'll get moving on sorting an old Mini Cooper S and navigate for my son in a few years time.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Caught it! Gotta love the Tivo.

Wasn't quite what I had in mind (the Manx) but it might get there in a few years - if that's what they have in mind. Maybe they want it to be more of a Sunday drive, I don't know. It sounded like most people did not have much or any rally experience, mostly coming from road race backgrounds, and it showed (the car setups looked mostly wrong).

What were they talking about with speed limits early in the show??
Sounds like they had some problems with some road sections getting permission to go flat out?

Now if only this was on Vancouver Island........... hey Peter get working on that ;)

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!
http://www.rallyrace.net/

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
265 Posts
RE: Targa Newfoundland timing

>My only question about Targa timing: what happens if you
>BEAT your target time by a lot? Do you get penalized, as in
>a TSD?

Yes.

If you averaged more than 132 kph on a section you would be penalized. Also, there were a couple of "stages" where the minimum time allowed only for average speeds of more like 80 kph.

There were a couple of "stages" where we had to stop before the finish line to keep from beating the minimum allowable time.

I do not have SPEED channel any longer. Could someone tape the show for me? mailto:[email protected]

http://vintagerally.com/targanewf/photos/c502_town1v.jpg

BTW, I will be competing again with Scott Giannou in his Porsche 911. Last year the car had little pre-event prep; this year it is undergoing some serious reconstruction and will have proper racing seats and a full roll cage.

Tim Winker

·
Registered
265 Posts
>Sounds like they had some problems with some road sections
>getting permission to go flat out?

As I wrote on the VintageRally.com web site during the running of Targa Newfoundland last year:

"There was a two and a half hour transit south to the Burin area where we ran three stages, had lunch, then ran the same three stages backwards. One of those was through the town of Marysville, a bit controversial because one resident was dead set against the rally passing through town. In response, organizers put a cap on speeds with serious penalties for those who exceeded them. Residents were a bit disappointed at not getting "the full monty" but were thrilled to see the cars in action nonetheless. There were no serious offs on any of the stages, an occasional missed left at sideroad but no visits to the ditches. "

1 - 7 of 7 Posts