Special Stage Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Our man Tanner is TOO DAMN GOOD for a lousy USA Top Gear show.

Aren't the guys on the original show just a bunch of dorky blow-hards really? They can't even drive. bla bla bla. Kinda like the MythBusters pseudo-science losers but with just cars. I'd almost rather watch all that Unique Whips crap. almost. I don't really see Tanner doing that crap.

Tho if the $$$'s good, WTH

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Trying to port a popular British show to an American audience has failed for NBC multiple times in the past. Coupling, The Office..who knows what else.
This is a long history of botched US versions of British shows, but The Office isn't one of them. It is a critical success and a ratings success for NBC (4th highest rated primetime show on NBC last week).

However, I don't have a lot of hope for a US version of Top Gear.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
This is a long history of botched US versions of British shows, but The Office isn't one of them. It is a critical success and a ratings success for NBC (4th highest rated primetime show on NBC last week).

US television has a long history of adapting British (and Canadian) Television.
Typically the shows see significant changes and loose something in the translation but while they may not measure up to the original, often they find their own 'successes.'
Three's Company would be a good example as would, unless I am mistaken, All in the Family.

As a side note, I have strong suspicions that the BBC crew that came up with 'the office' has been fans of the Canadian TV show 'The Newsroom' which aired 5 years earlier.

The short version is that those expecting a duplicate of the British show will likely be disappointed. Watch this with an open mind and it has a chance.

Congrats Tanner, you have a big job ahead of you!

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts

Don't forget the imported reality TV shows like Dancing with the Stars (thank god for the DVR so the better half doesn't insist that I watch that trash with her).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't forget the imported reality TV shows like Dancing with the Stars (thank god for the DVR so the better half doesn't insist that I watch that trash with her).
To each his own & all, but I have to admit DWTS is a guilty pleasure of mine. The outfits the women wear, WOW!!! It does require learning a skill and the competition appears fierce. Did I mention the women's costume? Or should I say strategic lack in the womens costumes. :D

·
Expatriate of the East Coast
845 Posts
errr.... three times. Three strikes and you're out. Sorry chief, wasn't impressed.
If you watch Top Gear for hardcore automotive news, reviews, and test drives... then you're totally missing the point.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you watch Top Gear for hardcore automotive news, reviews, and test drives... then you're totally missing the point.
Well I never said that old chap; I don't mind being entertained. And maybe 3 episodes isn't a lot to judge by... but to continue the argument just to be devils advocate here, the most recent Top Gear I saw had the 3 blokes filling 3 old British Leyland junk cars with water and seeing how far they would go before quitting, while giggling like schoolboys. Which is fine. But seems more suited to YouTube than old skool TV?? Oh well, I'm sure they've had better shows too. And if that's what the job calls for, I'm sure Tanner can giggle just fine.

Oh, and while I'm boring all with my opinions, I have to agree with the fellow pointing out that some of the Dancing with the Stars ladies have some pretty hot, mmm, costumes. One man's "crap" is another man's "TV show your wife watches which you don't mind watching occasionally with her so you can both comment on who looks hottest that night". Cheers!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Look...

It might be as good as the BBC version and it might not. But it's better than most of the crap thats on TV now.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Remember that Top gear is a BBC show. That means that they don't have to cater to sponsors.

And NBC show will have to. So you can totally forget any biting commentary or honest criticism of any car.
Also NBC has been on the "green" bandwagon. How much you want to bet there will be no questioning of Global Warming and that Fuel economy will be pushed as much as performance?

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Remember that Top gear is a BBC show. That means that they don't have to cater to sponsors.
While the BBC is a publicly subsidized broadcaster, I believe they DO sell advertising ...
CBC Television, in Canada, is the same. Heavily funded by public money, but still carries and NEEDS advertising. (CBC radio, on the otherhand, is commercial free)

·
Start Flat 30k Finish
366 Posts
While the BBC is a publicly subsidized broadcaster, I believe they DO sell advertising ...
BBC America sells ads, but i dont believe its the case in the UK, where the show originates.

Pollard, TG is good. but its an aquired taste.

had you seen these three episodes:

-making amphibious cars
-building limosines
-and building a space shuttle out of a reliant robin

you'd have a diff opinion

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
BBC America sells ads, but i dont believe its the case in the UK, where the show originates.

Pollard, TG is good. but its an aquired taste.

had you seen these three episodes:

-making amphibious cars
-building limosines
-and building a space shuttle out of a reliant robin

you'd have a diff opinion

I'm also entertained at the idea that they are loaned $xxx,xxx (with the first x being a big digit) priced cars and beat them senseless.

enjoyed them trying to kill a toyota Hi-Lok (small 4x4 pick-up, like Jonathan wants to build :) ) , somewhat youtubish, but people like youtube.

Good luck Tanner.

·
Registered
203 Posts
geez, don't go bringing up all these good arguments to counter my empty opinions.

Mythbusters: Uh-huh, pseudo science or the best science ever, whatever --- its just not that entertaining!! A whole hour to get to the point where they gone blow'd da thing up! They should have just one show per season, with only the last few minutes of each current 1-hour show.

Oh wait, darn!! I think I just missed another Pinks re-run while writing this! Ah shoot!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts