Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at entering Tall Pines and need some input on tire choice for the rally. Other than my gravel tires what would you recommend for no so nice conditions :) I have had good luck with Hakka Q's at SnoDrift. But not sure what kind of conditions to expect in Bancroft in Nov. Pure ice tire or Snow tire? Thanks in advance!

Jon Hamilton
www.rallyvw.com

·
Registered
133 Posts
>But not sure what kind of
>conditions to expect in Bancroft in Nov. Pure ice tire or
>Snow tire?

...gravel, snow and ice tires. That's all you'll need. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The right tire choice at the Tall Pines can make the difference between a very good result and an early exit.

I recommend bringing the following options.

- Soft compound gravel tires. Even if it's dry, the temperature is unlikely to be above 10C/40F.
- Intermediate snow tires. Something like a Yokohama WR-26 or A034. If these aren't avaialble or affordable, then go with the Hakkas. These will work if there is snow or a mix of snow and gravel.

If your budget allows then some real rally snow tires - something like Michelin C5 or G50, should be in your service vehicle. If there is 2" or more of fresh snow, these can't be beat.

Here are some facts:
- Of the previous 32 editions of the Tall Pines, there have only been five that were totally brown.
- The 2003 route is 65% well maintained township roads and 35% forest roads, with some stages including a mix. This is a change from previous editions that used more forest roads. Fyi, the township roads are smooth twisty hard packed gravel.
- Snow that falls in the forest areas is likely to stick around for several days - even when the temperature is above freezing. Snow that falls on the township roads quickly disappears.
- Late November is still early for true winter conditions, as the frost will not have set in yet. Therefore, it is unlikely to find conditions where a pure ice tire would be the best choice.
- The "M+S" stamp you see on some rally tires stands for "Mud and Snow". Ignore it! - don't make a common rookie mistake. Even brand new gravel tires don't work on snow!
- Snow tires work better on gravel then gravel tires work on snow.
- Snow tires have a much softer sidewall and are more prone to punctures.

Deciding what tires to bring is the easy decision. Deciding what tires to put on before you leave service is the tough one!

Monitor the event website (www.tallpinesrally.com) in the days leading up to the event. We will be posting local weather and snow conditions.

Keith Townsend
Coordinator, Rally of the Tall Pines

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure someone will offer *on site tire mounting* but last year at the Tall Pines Rally, I had to run at the Canadian Tire store to get tires mounted during the event and they were quite helpfull, understanding that I needed the tires mounted asap ;)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Keith's advice is sage. Especially about the rookie mistake of thinking that gravel tires can handle snow!

We will have big tire irons in our service vehicle if you get jammed. We prefer mounting snow tires - try to mount gravel tires by hand and you'll see why.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
665 Posts
>
>Keith's advice is sage. Especially about the rookie mistake
>of thinking that gravel tires can handle snow!
>ACP

Well I remember the Ericksons doing some quick changing from gravel to snows at Parc Expose last year... It's not only rookies (or very exp. competitors) thinking that gravel tires can handle snow but also road conditions varying from stage to stage.

Last year A1 was fairly sandy (looked a lot like the roads we had scouted to make our tire choice) and our S3 Silverstones were not too bad. Stage 2, however, completely blew my confidence as soon as I saw two icy tracks worn into about 6" of snow cover - even us rookies recognize incompatibility when we see it... I was so busy thinking about what a bad tire choice we made I done drove off the road (although I remember thinking that my Blizzaks wouldn't have enjoyed those crazy washouts...)

Robin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fyi - the organizers will not have a tire changer at service. However, there is a tire dealer on Hwy 62 about 3km north of service park and the Canadian Tire dealer about 9km north of the service park. Both of these should be open on Saturday should last minute changes be required.

Also, the "killer washouts" from last year are not on the route! In fact, those washouts have been repaired but we decided not to use those road segments this year.

Keith

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a question.....im not use to specific rally winter tire....we use to race on Pirelli winter for our winter rally...155/70/13 did a Ok job on ice and snow...and work good at the pines...once i got ride of or gravel tire at the firts service :+

would the Yoko WR26 155/65/13 work good for us ? and would they be good on the Pines Icy condition ?

would i have to tractionised them ? or is it possible to do ok on ice ? coz they are 3 time more expesiv then our old Pirelli...and i would like to do more then one rallye whit them ....

thanks!

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The WR26 is a terrific tire and in typical weather a good choice for Pines. They work well in snow, OK on ice, and good if there's gravel showing through. They wear quickly on gravel, but last a long time on snow.

You would not tractionize them. The only tires you tractionize are pure ice tires like Yoko Guardex or Blizzaks.

If Maniwaki is snowy you will be able to use them there too. I've used them at Maniwaki, Quebec, Charlevoix, and Tall Pines in the past. unfortunately they are out of production so if you can get some (and I presume you're looking at Gene's set) then I do recommend it.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks Andrew !

Out of production ? humm.....now im not shure...coz that mean i will only have 6 tires... 6 is ok to do a rally in a Justy... but...i find it border line...

if one get damage..and i caint find more in the same size....i wont take the start of a second rally whit only 5 tires....

so this mean i will have to go back and order more of my usual winter tires.... to start back at the same point.... but....i will have good tires for the Pines.....on the otter hand...i caint put that much money in to tires for only one rally....i can cross my finger and i mite still have 6 good tires at the end....but that not usualy what happen......

will see....i dont know...if i can find more in the same size i would go for it...i would need at least 8...

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts