·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Through 8 stages of 12 the standings are:

1 1:23:57 Tom McGeer Mark Williams Subaru WRX 02 O
2 1:25:14 Pat Richard Ian McCurdy Subaru WRX 02 N4
3 1:26:11 Sylvain Erickson Philippe Erickson Mitsubishi EvoIV 97
4 1:30:04 Andrew Comrie-Picard Christian Edstrom Mitsubishi EvoIV 97

It looks possible that McGeer got a one minute flyer on Stage 2, perhaps even two minutes; Sprongls rolled their new EVO on Stage One; and ACP had some sort of problem on Stage Two that cost almost six minutes.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just got back from working there. Fantastic event!
es, Sprongl's rolled ont he second corner, 200m from the start! unbeleivable! That justy was absolutely flying! Watch for his second attempt at castledines corner, he was lucky! Should be some very interesting stories coming out here soon. The conditions were really mixed with Ice, to light snow, to gravel, tire choice must have been tricky! I did see most of the top guys on snows

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Stories - was RE: Tall Pines Results ???

A classic "smooth is fast".

Also classic, "winter roads, summer ditches".

LOTS of carnage.

A truly excellent event - ON time, LOTS of workers, friendly, a real mix of different types of cars, even had a provision so service crews could go spectate (and even had food for sale there), and helicopter rides.

WOW, thanks to everyone involved.

press on (from a chairman in training for West Michigan Club Rally)

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>checking the results, ya have to love a '93 Subaru Justy
>finishing 13th overall, ahead of a WRX

And here's what makes it even more impressive; on A2, ACP and I got stuck in a ditch. After 5 minutes, Alcaraz stops and really YANKS us out with his Justy. Cost him at least a minute...

Then Peter got stuck for 12 minutes on A5. Apparently, he got help from spectators and... Alcaraz!

Jean-Marc definitely deserves a "Spirit of Rallying" award! Or maybe just a "Mid-Field Sweep" sticker.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
Co-Driver
Timefactors.com Rally Team
Gingras Rally Sport (SCCA)
Musketeer Racing (CARS)

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
RE: Stories - was RE: Tall Pines Results ???

Yeah, really just want to echo Jimmy's comments here.

Fantastic rally! Great organization, that ensured that everything ran smoothly. Lots of spectators (especially given the cold), and fantastic roads!

Thanks to Keith, Richard, all the other organizers, and the workers!

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
Co-Driver
Timefactors.com Rally Team
Gingras Rally Sport (SCCA)
Musketeer Racing (CARS)

·
Registered
532 Posts

>
>Yeah, really just want to echo Jimmy's comments here.
>
>Fantastic rally! Great organization, that ensured that
>everything ran smoothly. Lots of spectators (especially
>given the cold), and fantastic roads!
>
>Thanks to Keith, Richard, all the other organizers, and the
>workers!
>
>- Christian
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>Co-Driver
>Timefactors.com Rally Team
>Gingras Rally Sport (SCCA)
>Musketeer Racing (CARS)

I could not believe the number of people that were there, including all of them that stuck around for the night stages at Castledine's Corner. Crowd Control was certainly a challenge!

I think the final total for workers was 180! At Tech, Friday night, and at Park Expose, I personnally had several crews that thanked us for working. Thanks to all of the crews for putting on a great show!:7

13th OA in a Justy, pulling two of the top crews out of ditches, and one of the best saves I have ever seen. Both left wheels off the side of the road and that Justy motor screaming to pull it back up. The crowd gave Alcarez a cheer that you probably could hear for miles.

Just a great weekend!

Dave C

·
Registered
92 Posts

I second Christians kudos to Keith and all those who helped put on another FANTASTIC Canadian event.

Just a quick comment; DON'T USE GRAVEL TIRES ON FROZEN GROUND!!! That was more to solidify this concept in my rattled brain than to tell anyone something they didn't already know. Well, I didn't know just how bad it could be! In 30km I got passed by at least 6 cars, the first was a Subaru that passed me about 5km from the start and he started behind the car behind me! Once I put the snows on it got a bit better.

Anyway, even with all of the trouble resulting from picking the wrong tires, I had a blast (though my co-driver isn't looking forward to returning, something about freezing due to too little body fat).

Thanks again to all those who braved the cold (especially during ttttttecccchhhh inspeccccccccccctionnnnnnnnn (that noise you hear is my teeth chattering!)) to see a great event. Where else can you come over a crest on the way to the first stage to be greeted by a view of a field filled with at least 300 cars that brought spectators? WOW!!!

George Thompson
1980 Volvo 242GT Performance Rally Toy

·
Registered
280 Posts

HiHiHi!! Gorgo..i second you on the gravel tires on ice...HOoly crap was it a bad choice...we went out in the ditch at the 3 icy corner... manage to be towed but....lost way to much time... i was shure it was going to eat up during the day and melt the ice....was i ever wrong....

so at the service we switch to some normal winter tires...went much better after that....

it took me lots of stage to be confortable on ice....it was our firsts ever rally...and i ad no experience on ice...
so...180....360...straitgh at intersection..name it...wev done it all...LOL... at the end of our regional; rallye i was getting more and more confidant...and we manage to pass you guys and that black Golf on our last stage... thanks for leting us go...the track was so tite i would of never tried to pass if you would not of stop...it was very nice.. the Justy was just pefect for those condition...i can not imagine how hard it most of been to keep your big vovlvo on those track...

i was smelling your car from far..it just made me go NUTS!!!!}>
and wen i saw the first set of red ligth...for get it... wen we pass the Golf ....it was at a washout...we took it in third at close to 7ooormp....we just bounce on the rock and went out...LOL...i was shure we left at least 3 wheel in there...LOL...but the car was way strounger than i could of imagine...

we are so..happy and proad to have finish our firt rally...

But .....im seriosuly embarest abouth the way i destroyed the podium :'(
it look very bad...i dont know what happend ?...wen we went up there was a guy giving direction...i was shure i was going straigth?? on top of the ramp ? we were so happy to be there...the ligth was kind of blinding me...not to bad..but i never saw the rest of the ramp...and thats wen we went off....:( any way...im very sorry and i feel bad...

Ont va lavoire notre permis d'bières !!!!

·
Premium Member
803 Posts

>
>we are so..happy and proad to have finish our firt rally...
>
>But .....im seriosuly embarest abouth the way i destroyed
>the podium :'(
>it look very bad...i dont know what happend ?...wen we went
>up there was a guy giving direction...i was shure i was
>going straigth?? on top of the ramp ? we were so happy to be
>there...the ligth was kind of blinding me...not to bad..but
>i never saw the rest of the ramp...and thats wen we went
>off....:( any way...im very sorry and i feel bad...
>

That's Funny! Finishes his first rally .... in those conditions ... and crashes on the podium .... gotta be one for the funniest videos!!!

Congrats on your finish!! Sounds like you had a blast.:D

Shawn

·
Registered
665 Posts

>Just a quick comment; DON'T USE GRAVEL TIRES ON FROZEN
>GROUND!!!
That was more to solidify this concept in my
>rattled brain than to tell anyone something they didn't
>already know.
>George Thompson
>1980 Volvo 242GT Performance Rally Toy

Umm.. I didn't already know (well, I think I did - but I'm stoopid). A1 went okay for us, but when I saw A2 my mental discipline eroded completely (I was freaked). All I could think of as we tip-toed around on our Silverstones was the time we were losing over 31 km - getting passed by the white Audi coupe didn't help - (he made a left at the T right a short time after and we ended up back in front of him). Then we caught up to the car in front of us and for some reason, this rattled my concentration even further - down the long hill, up over the 6L/Cr, up over the 4R/Cr - missed that tiny little groove of traction - and into the swamp. I'm used to looking way ahead when I drive. One of the lessons learned is to occasionally look right in front of the car... Short rally.

Robin Fleguel
P3 NX2000

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

Robin- was sorry to see you off on the second pass - looked like you had some momentum going in...

If it makes you feel any better I went waaay off on the second stage of Pines last year in the Lada. My advice to anyone in the lower-powered novice group is this: learn how to drive a car on the edge, BUT make that your second priority after finishing every rally and getting all the seat time possible. On to next season, then...

Also from experience (putting the Lada into the trees Charlevoix 2000): even the best gravel tires turn to bakelite plastic when they get cold. It's about compound rather than tread pattern: anything that performs well in the cold will wear away very quickly on warm gravel and, conversely, anything that will last 75km on warm gravel will be rock hard at zero degrees Celsius.

Congrats Daman on finishing your first rally. Now finish them all in 2003.

George: I second your chattering teeth at tech inspection. Honestly I don't know why we go out in the cold. Sorry we didn't get any chance to talk.

Alcaraz: Man, can this guy spank a Justy. To all you novices: see what a really good driver can do in a modest car? Be like that. And Jean-Marc: get a big car again!

Keith, Richard et. al.: Thanks for a great event! Great promo, spectators, and seamlessly run. My old driver from the UK (yes, I started codriving) had a VIP ticket and thought the package and organization was great. Well done.

ACP
www.muskeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RE: Stories and Gravel Tires

LACHINE, QUE. (Nov. 25/2002) - Jon Nichols, four-time Canadian rally driving
champion in the two-wheel-drive class, finished third in his return to that
division at the season-ending Tall Pines event in central Ontario.

The Yokohama-backed driver from Lachine, Que., was beset by various niggling
problems on his Volkswagen Golf - which he was driving for only the second
time this season - but made the best of the situation.

"My goal was to finish the rally, which we did," said Nichols, who ended up
four minutes, 24 seconds behind Group 2 class winner Gord Olsen, also in a
VW Golf, but just 51 seconds behind the Ford Focus of second-placed Peter
Reilly. He was ninth overall among competitors from all classes.

"It was an enjoyable rally. It was exciting, competitive, fast - everything
a rally is supposed to be - and we had some good moments," he added. Despite
his problems, he was the quickest Group 2 driver on seven of 12 special
stages and among the top five overall on five of the tests.

Nichols was returning to his rallying roots at the Rally of the Tall Pines,
held on ice and snow-covered forest gravel roads around Bancroft, Ont.

He has mostly been driving a four-wheel-drive Subaru Impreza WRX since
taking his fourth Group 2 championship crown in 1999, but was back in his VW
for this final event of the Subaru Canadian Rally Championship, presented by
Yokohama.

From the outset, though, he was playing catch-up. Throughout the event, his
VW lacked grunt, producing only about 160 horsepower instead of the usual
200. He thought the problem stemmed from a newly-installed engine management
system.

He was also given bad information at the start of the event about the state
of the roads. Having been told they were clear of snow and ice, he put on
tires suited for regular gravel conditions - only to discover the roads were
indeed icy. He lost a lot of time before he finally got the chance to change
rubber.

"Once we got off the gravel tires and put on our Yokohama F720s [designed
for slippery conditions], it became a lot easier," he said. "We should have
put them on earlier, but we were told the first three stages were gravel."

Then, just as he and his American co-driver Dave Shindle were mounting an
impressive comeback - climbing from 19th to eighth place overall - they lost
about four minutes as a result of a spin on stage eight, Mayo Lake.

Nichols felt that his car's lack of power contributed to his spin. Usually,
in a front-wheel-drive car, it is possible to accelerate out of trouble if
the back end begins to slide. "If the back comes out too far, you give it
more power and it pulls around," he said. "But we had no power."

The spin dropped him to 10th overall, but he was able to make up one
position by the finish. He completed the 175 kilometres of special stages in
2 hours, 13 minutes, 24 seconds, for an average speed of 78.71 kph.

The Tall Pines marked Nichols' ninth anniversary in rallying. The former
Quebec ice-racing champion made his rally debut on this event in 1993.

In addition to Yokohama, Nichols is backed by Volkswagen des Sources, RMR
Autosport, Bosch, Cam & Leon and FCP Mags and Tires.

·
Registered
233 Posts

>If it makes you feel any better I went waaay off on the
>second stage of Pines last year in the Lada.

Andrew, correction, Stage 3, Skootamatta pass #1. A very fast sweeping-left downhill. That was on the ludicrously fast section of that stage. I was start marshal on that stage.

On this years Pines I was doing a traffic control (TC) near the beginning of A2, about 2 km in, 1 km in past the first junction. A very narrow section, and I noticed on my old snow tires that it was very slippy at low speed (I had to drive in another coupla km to talk to non-radio marshals at a washout). I can't imagine it at speed on the wrong tire!

Yes, the worker give-aways were awesome this year, and as usual the event was on time. An incredible effort to keep it ticking like that. I am proud to say that of 180 workers, our club provided 18 of them (Motorsport Club of Ottawa), and one guy couldn't make it! Most of us worked A2, A6, A8, and both of our teams finished (Brady/Frankovitch first P4 in OPRC, and Rioux/Cloutier).

Cheers,
Craig

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kchamm/rally.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts