Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
>
>Notice that the leading cars aren't far off the ground?
>
>ACP
>Flirting with the laws of physics.
I looked at our in car video (which was blurred after a jump one minute into the rally) and discovered this is the moment we experianced an electrical anomally that ended our day. My guess is you guys going faster must have flown over the table top jump. We hit hard on the table top and the picture is actually the rebound from the hit. You can see the dirt and rocks behind the car in the photo.

The other theory is you guys are alot smarter than me and took it easy.

Great photo of the end of a short rally for Jay and I.

·
Registered
319 Posts
>Are you gonna fill us in on why that is oh great wise and
>experienced rally driver?

My understanding is flying is fun and spectacular but not fast as you get zero traction while your wheels are off the ground. The fast teams probably lift as they approach the crest to minimize the flight and maximize the traction and control.

$0.02 CDN from a not so wise not so experienced rally driver.

-Martin.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
>Are you gonna fill us in on why that is oh great wise and
>experienced rally driver?

Ummm, how about "guy who's landed badly a couple of times"?

I think it comes down to this: on low-speed but big jumps (such as these) especially where you haven't done recce, the risks are too great to warrant the fraction of a second you gain by not lifting. Since the speed is low you can accelerate again quickly, and as mentioned below your wheels are on the ground earlier.

On jumps in really high speed sections where you know the profile of the landing, it is certainly faster not to lift: Finland or the big ones at the end of Camp Brule at Baie are examples.

But one thing is true of all jumps: NEVER be lifting at the moment of takeoff or you will fly nose down with probable consequences. At Baie, I tap the brake and punch the throttle on the takeoff of the big ones. Nose up, always.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Warwick, Nice photos, maybe I'm crazy but not having seen your setup... were you using a second flash with remote on the other side of the road?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts