Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done watching a video of the '81 Acropolis Rally. Mikkola's Audi was excluded [from the lead] for a technical infringement. In any case I enjoyed watching the Datsuns, Fiats, and one called a Talbot Sunbeam [do I have that backwards?] It looked a lot like a Plymouth Horizon, but it appeared to be RWD. Is a Talbot a European version of the US-spec FWD Plymouth Horizon?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nope, that's a Hillman Imp. Rear-engined rear-drive built by the Rootes group & sold as a Sunbeam, Hillman, singer & probably some other brands too.

·
Registered
967 Posts
>Nope, that's a Hillman Imp. Rear-engined rear-drive built
>by the Rootes group & sold as a Sunbeam, Hillman, singer &
>probably some other brands too.

Sounds right to me, I am sure it was a Rootes vintage Sunbeam and not an NSU. Many, many years ago as a boy racer I actually owned an NSU Spider (rotary engine)and even visited Nekarsulm to see Dr Wankel.

Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep that's an Imp- the fella that rolled it borrowed the car for the weekend!

Sunbeam Lotus was a good car-Henry Toivenen won '81(?) RAC with one.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>Nope, that's a Hillman Imp. Rear-engined rear-drive built
>by the Rootes group & sold as a Sunbeam, Hillman, singer &
>probably some other brands too.

From memory, what I can recall is:

Hillman Imp, Californian, Super, & Husky (estate)
Sunbeam Stiletto
Singer Chamois
Commer Imp Van

Some of the Sunbeams and Singers had double front lights.

Scottish Porsche,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
It looks like a Plymouth Horizon cause after Chrysler got a hold of Sunbeam etc they used the body styling on the Horizon.

Remember back in the 80s' Chrysler was broke.

Nick Leone
former scca member

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
This is the model of car I'll be driving next year in Belgium. My old co-driver from my Army days has two of them. We'll be entered in the Vintage class (both car and occupants!), in the 50th running of the Liege International Police Rally. Full FIA event. Full report on my safe return.

In response to Christian's post, the only rear engined, rwd cars were the Imp, Californian (was a model name for the Imp,trim was different, I believe), Sunbeam had the Stiletto and Chamois.

I had the opportunity to see one of these beasts in full lightweight trim at a BAMA (British Army Motoring Association) rallycross event in Moenchen-Gladbach in the late '70's. This thing was a screamer! There was nothing that even came close to it for acceleration. With such a short wheelbase, it must have been a fun drive!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>This is the model of car I'll be driving next year in
>Belgium.

Fantastic! The Hillman is my favorite historic car. Tell us more!

>In response to Christian's post, the only rear engined, rwd
>cars were the Imp, Californian (was a model name for the
>Imp,trim was different, I believe), Sunbeam had the Stiletto
>and Chamois.

All the cars I listed are rear-engined, rear wheel drive. They're basically all the same under the skin. You're right that the Californian was an Imp - it was the coupe, rather than the saloon. Rounded door windows and a more sloping rear roofline and rear window.

And Chamois were only badged "Sunbeam" outside the UK. All US-sold Imp derivatives were badged "Sunbeam" for instance.

- Christian
Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts