Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's in them Suzukis anyway? Why does Bacon drive that thing faster than his Sube?

That Suzuki team totally blows my mind. It's like, there are all the other teams that have to obey the laws of physics and then the the team Suzuki Canada.

I should have watched. Anyone have video of these cars? Any in-car?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Peter... Could you field this one because I am not sure I have an answer.
Randy's video pretty much sums it up. In place of Randy's motor noise in the background just picture 103 hp not every stopping and then add alot of left foot braking. Speaking of breaking I did alot off damage this weekend. But Frank showed that they ( the cars) can run that quick and stay on the road.
As far as the Subaru goes... I sold it. Damn that thing is expensive to run.
I'll try to keep this short and not to self serving.
- STPR 04' first time ever in all wheel drive turbo rally car.
4th OAL in the national.
-Maine 04' running third OAL before hitting a big rock Seamus pulled into the middle of the road on the back side of a crest. Was getting close to Pat and Pauls times... but not that close.
-Sno drift 05' crashed more times on the practice than every other rally I had ever done put toghether (although Tall Pines 05' has that honor now). Went off on Fri. night in a "Sno Drift" for about 30mins. Sat. finally got my feet under me in that thing on the ice and ran 2nd overall on almost every stage behind Pat.
-Oregon Trail 05' starting to learn the car finally. Actually won 1 or 2 stages on Sat. (after Pat broke) then alot of stupid stuff happened.
Basically things never really came together for me in the Subie. Just bad luck I guess. It sure was fun to try but I can in no way afford to run that car at the level it deserves.
Sure is fun to try, and I stress, try to keep up with Frank in the Suzuki. I think that has pushed us up the field.

See Ya! Billy

PS You may want to carry a window net in the car from now on in Canadur. Otherwise if you break a window on a stage you may as well park it.

PSS Thank you Suzuki!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bill,

sucks about the window stuff.

As Frank was asking you if you wanted to tape the thing up, i was actually fumbling around in my trunk to find duct tape for ya!

Then just went back to adding oil as Frank tossed the window into the bush!

Was alot of fun following Frank after the roll-over incident as well. just had a back off in order to actually see something, and was worried if him or Randy spun we would easily wreck 3 cars!

later,
Chris
Car #18 (the ole Sube RX)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The glass had broken into a gazillion little pieces and the tint was holding it together. Had I realized how much of an issue it would have been I probably would have tried to do something with it.x(

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>So what's in them Suzukis anyway?

a couple of helpings of Sprongl and some Bacon bits, Watt else could it be ???

Definately an impressive effort by the team, and Randy's video shows the commitment Frank gave to the notes!

Bravo Suzuki, Frank, Dan, Bill and Peter!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Personally, I think it is those "special" spherical bearings the team runs in the strut towers :) but I am sure William's experience and Peter's dedication to a seamless delivery have more to do with it.

Doug

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been totally blown away both times I have been at a rally where the Suzuki guys have been in attendance.

Bacon, as far as I am concerned you can get on this board and tell everyone else what it is like to be THE MAN!

Sorry to hear about the bittersweet Subie tale. It's pretty common to have that happen. I hope you find enough resources to rally whatever you can.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Jake, you are seeing something I have thought about for the last month.

Most of the drivers in North America buy fancy car to get better result rather than drive better. So when you get a driver that can get 95% out of the the car such as the Suzukis then they are still faster than most drivers getting 65% out of the Evos and WRX's.

I my self almost fell into this trap last month, I almost sold the Golf to buy and Evo4, but then I watched my incar video and see that I could drive the Golf much faster than I do. So why move up when I still have not gotten everything I can out of the car I have?

Also as Mr. Bacon points out, it should be much less money to keep what I have rather than get a Subie.

Derek

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>Jake, you are seeing something I have thought about for the
>last month.

I think that it is evident to anyone paying attention. It happens to be a topic that creates much tension but hey, the truth will find you but you can always choose to ignore it.

>
>Most of the drivers in North America buy fancy car to get
>better result rather than drive better. So when you get a
>driver that can get 95% out of the the car such as the Suzukis
>then they are still faster than most drivers getting 65% out
>of the Evos and WRX's.

Derek, Shhh, you are going to get yankee drivers lurking in this forum all pissed. Hold your tongue.

>
>I my self almost fell into this trap last month, I almost sold
>the Golf to buy and Evo4, but then I watched my incar video
>and see that I could drive the Golf much faster than I do. So
>why move up when I still have not gotten everything I can out
>of the car I have?

I almost took the leap myself about 18 months ago. I was all caught up in patting myself on the back and chasing my rally dream and wanting people to say things like "Here comes that Jake Himes, that chap sure can motor. Three cheers for Jake!" Good thing I took a good look in the mirror, and a look into my wallet. I realized my kids think I'm cool no matter what since they are still young.

I'm just happy that I was able to let go of a need for approval and just be a regular old regional rally goofball and have been enjoying myself ever since. For one to have the realization that their driving needs work is a blessing. That's the attitude to have.

·
Start Flat 30k Finish
366 Posts
There is no doubt that Frank and Dan are one of the top teams in North America.

And in my opinion, Frank is hands down *the* best in ice and snow.

You should have seen him in Michigan a few years ago driving the clapped-out old Hyundai Elantra, which at the time was privately owned, and maybe not in very nice condition. Hyundai rented it and called in Frank to score much needed points.

The car had such amenities as four totally knackered struts and an engine about to fall out of the car. But it didnt matter, he blitzed the "pros" in the field, which included David and Mark Higgins.

I'd love to see what he could do in Sweden in a WRC car.

You could argue the car is lighter than the GN/Open cars, but i think its more a question of getting closer to the true potential of the car.

Bill is very lucky to have Frank to learn from, and he is setting some impressive times. Congrats to ya'll Suzuki guys, hope that they appreciate the program (maybe when they'll call you when they get their WR car ready?!), and congrats to Four Star, home once again of the National Champions!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Suzuki's are great but the drivers are truly inspiring! Put a good driver in an adequate car and get a good result. Put an adequate driver in a good car, you will get an adequate result. I have fun trying really hard in the Justy. We never finish last and every rally we climb a little higher in the results. I will not move up to more than 72 hp until I know I can beat Carlos Sainz or similar in the same wheels. It is my goal to become the World's Fastest Justy Driver.Then I'll buy an Accent or an Echo...

John
max etak Rally Team

1 - 14 of 14 Posts