1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from .....
http://www.insidetracknews.com/

SUZUKI RETURNS TO RALLY RACING

APRIL 22, 2004: RICHMOND HILL, ON - After an eight-year hiatus, Suzuki Canada confirmed their return to the Canadian Rally Championship with the all-new 2004 Suzuki Swift+.

Eager to participate in the Canadian Rally Championship, Suzuki will field a two-car team in the P2 class. The two Swift+ rally cars will be piloted by the teams of Bill Bacon/Peter Watt of Peterborough, ON, and Thierry Menegoz/Elise Racette of Montreal, QC. Fans can look forward to the team?s first appearance at the Rocky Mountain Rally in Calgary, on May 28, 2004.

Utilizing the expertise of Frank Sprongl at Four Star Motorsports in Georgetown, Ontario, two Suzuki Swift+ rally cars are currently under construction. Suzuki Canada is strongly committed to the series and has future plans for more entries in this growing spectator sport.

- Special to Inside Track

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Congrats Suzuki and CARS!!!
>Great to see another manufacturer testing the waters.
>
>Are these cars going to have any trick JWRC/Super1600 parts?

Oi1 Skye, don't those extortionate taxes they squeezed outa yer parents with the threat of deportation to the Unexplored Southern Area stretch eneough to cover the grandiose mounumental hydroelectric projects up in the far north of Quebec AND schooling enough to teach you to read??????
go back and look at the depressing class: P2

So no really nasty hot screaming 'sounds nastier than a hot street bike' cars, P2.
>
>Skye
>
>[table cellspacing=20][tr][td]
>http://www.rallyrace.net/images/2004-02-22/paint_done_thumb.jpg
>[td][font size=-1]
>Skye Poier
>Seattle WA
>Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!
>Grp5 Ford Sierra (XR4Ti) under construction
>http://www.rallyrace.net/
>Black Rocket Rally Tires
>http://www.blackrockettires.com/
>[/table]

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Who would JVL ban!!!!
127 Posts
>
>Are these cars going to have any trick JWRC/Super1600 parts?
>
>Skye
>

No they won't as the new Suzuki Swift+ as they are known do not share anything with the Ignis Rally car. They are actually re-baged Daewoo Lanos (or watever the new name is). GM bought Daewoo last year and now sells certian cars as Chevrolet and with Suzuki and their joint venture also under the Suzuki brand.:( x( :'(

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,629 Posts
>>
>>Are these cars going to have any trick JWRC/Super1600 parts?
>>
>>Skye
>>
>
>No they won't as the new Suzuki Swift+ as they are known do
>not share anything with the Ignis Rally car. They are
>actually re-baged Daewoo Lanos (or watever the new name is).
> GM bought Daewoo last year and now sells certian cars as
>Chevrolet and with Suzuki and their joint venture also under
>the Suzuki brand.:( x( :'(

From my understanding, they do share with the Opel platform - at least on the engine side of things. In Daewoo Kalos guise, this car is part of a one-make series in Belgium. It has a ProFlex suspension available plus other bits. It is the Chevy Aveo here in the states.

If I were to compete against these guys and lived north of the border, I would go get a Toyota Echo Hatchback, which is known as the Vitz or Yaris in other parts of the world, and has every go fast rally part imaginable from TRD, including skid plates, cage, rally specific suspension, etc.

Wilson

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
I would both.
Production is PRODUCTION, the motor will by defination be, even tho it might be a nice Opel 1600 16v, a street motor, with a torque figure in the negatives, and with a set of gearbox ratios to match the non-exsistant torque AND get beaucoup gas milage, a typical dog slow street car in other words.
Wilson, have you ever driven a car or motorcycle with a proper close ratio (something with a spread like 2.4 or 2.6 for 1st and 1:1 or .96 for top gear, not the VW GTI so called 'close ratio' with the 3.6 1st and .86 top, a wider set of ratios than my street XR stock.) and a reasonably short final drive like 4.88 or so????

I believe if you had you would not ever be excited about Production or GpN classes, it really is painful to watch and be polite when everybody rationalises how exciting they are.

Now proper 1300, or 1600 cars certainly are exciting, but Production, please :(
What an opportunity lost.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
280 Posts
there is a start to everything and i think its a great start ! 2 car!! its very nice! give a litle bit of hope for the future.

For a company like Suzuki to have there product beaten to death on a production class can only help them to show how good(if they are?) there product are stock! if the drivers are good...it will give for a good show!

Small car racing is funn and is the key to get more people in to our sport... from what i have notice all our good driver ad to stop not able to keep up becose there bank acount and spirit went away trying to figth open class angainst Subaru canada...i find its sad....

as for the Echo...it is a very nice litle car...hopefully after this year Echo cup track season in quebec it will give Toyota, the idea to go figth whit the swift.....the Echo cup car cost 20 000$CAD turn key race ready ....you even get the nomex and shoes.. http://www.echocup.com/

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
296 Posts
?if the drivers are good??

The good about P2 is ...you don?t need to be a rally driver?you learn to be a rally driver.
It?s fun and who cares about the speed. The most important?you still must use your brain?to find sponsors and drive the car. Some guys like speed, some guys like driving rally car to school, some just to show up for ?randka? at night club and some? ?just to have a fun?

I am happy to see my original idea (Yaris (Echo) Cup) taking off in Canada? }>

Jerrry

?the filling never end??

·
Who would JVL ban!!!!
127 Posts
>>>
>>>From my understanding, they do share with the Opel platform
>- ....
>
>Wilson

Living next door to a GM Canada technical executive, we had extensive discussions on the new Chevrolet Aveo and Suzuki Swift+. He definately assured me that everything was designed and engineered by Daewoo before GM bought the controlloing interest. The only thing that GM and Suzuki engineered were the badges and names on the cars as this was the only way to keep the prices down. There is some GM (aka Opel) engineering history in these cars as Daewoo bought a number of Opel design licenses (like the Opel Kadett or Pontiac LeMans in US) and built their own version. This was early to mid 80's and over the years they slowly engineered their own stuff including how the vehicles looked. And yes he checked into it for me with the GM Canada marketing department (even before the car was available for sale in US or Canada) and there was NO interest in fielding a rally program (not even providing a free car to build).

They have done studies in Canada and apparently the investment return through Motorsports does not pay, as they do not support even CASCAR which is the biggest stock car sanctioning body in Canada (much smaller version of NASCAR) running a true National Championship visiting all reagions of the Country. Print media and TV ads are their favourite ways of marketing their products here.

I also agree that if I were to get back into rallying in Canada I would do it with a Toyota Echo (Yaris) 2dr. hatch back as I think it would be way more competetive, plus you could probably up grade it to a Gr2 car in a few seasons with all the bits that Toyota has for it or drop in a 1800cc from a Celica GTS for even more fun.
}> }> :* :+ }> }>

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,629 Posts
>I also agree that if I were to get back into rallying in
>Canada I would do it with a Toyota Echo (Yaris) 2dr. hatch
>back as I think it would be way more competetive, plus you
>could probably up grade it to a Gr2 car in a few seasons
>with all the bits that Toyota has for it or drop in a 1800cc
>from a Celica GTS for even more fun.
>}> }> :* :+ }> }>

A Yaris with an 1800 cc VVTi powerplant and AWD was already in competition in Canada a couple of years ago for the Sherbrooke international ice race. Apparently it was extremely competitive.

·
Registered
706 Posts
>It?s fun and who cares about the speed.

The spectators care. Spectators are there to see something exciting, like some nicely powered RWD cars (for example) with good ratios and torque sliding around corners and spraying gravel, not prod cars puttering by at 3000rpm.

More spectators = more excitement = more sponsorship = more better.

>The most
>important?you still must use your brain?to find sponsors and
>drive the car.

Nobody is going to get sponsorship if there is nobody looking at the pretty decals. There must be a show.

Skye

·
Registered
409 Posts
That's a 3,000pc jigsaw puzzle with a lot of small pieces to go back together in time for Rocky!

Good luck to the new P2 crews, it should be quite an interesting show in the smaller classes this year.

Bill Westhead

·
Registered
339 Posts
Does anyone know if Suzuki will be offering contingency or any form of a program for Privateers? Something like a Suzuki cup or anything?

Interested minds who are pondering there next car want to know :)

Brian

·
Registered
339 Posts
So, is there anymore info about Suzuki entering the Championship? Specifically will there be contingency or anything for Privateers?

I would love for Suzuki to support this and I think a fair number of people are really looking for something different to run....on a reasonable budget.

Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts