·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SUBARU STi AND MITSUBISHI EVO VIII GET THEIR OWN PLAYGROUND

SUPER STOCK 1 CLASS ADDED TO NASA RALLY SPORT
EASTERN STATES RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP

Knoxville, TN (December 3, 2004) ? Rally Promotions, L.L.C., the promoter of the NASA Rally Sport Eastern States Rally Championship (ESRC), announces class realignment for the 2004+ Subaru STi and Mitsubishi Evo VIII. Due to their phenomenal performance right off the showroom floor these two cars will compete in their own production-based class for 2005 called Super Stock 1. Any car eligible for Super Stock in 2004 will be realigned to Super Stock 2.

?We thought that this was the best solution to deal with ?technology creep,?? stated John Shirley, one of Rally Promotion?s principals. ?These cars are as close to homologated ?specials? as we?re going to get in America. Both the STi and the Evo VIII come right off the showroom floor with incredible performance and are fairly close to world-class rally cars.? As with all turbocharged four-wheel drive rally cars a turbo inlet restrictor is mandated. In this case the international standard 32 mm turbo inlet restrictor will be the requirement. ?With such import cars available to the public we felt it necessary to give these cars a class of their own. This allows the more mainline production cars a level playing field in Super Stock 2.? he continued.

?We have a lot of competitors building these new super cars,? stated Kendall Russell, another Rally Promotions principal and the ESRC championship coordinator. ?Super Stock has proven to be a very popular class so we do not foresee any substantial impact on in-class competition by splitting the Evo and STi out. This keeps competition fair and preserves the investment of our grassroots teams in their cars.?

While NASA Rally Sport has endorsed this class realignment for the ESRC, the sanctioning body is still evaluating if it will make this change for other regional events and the national championship.

For more information, contact Wilson von Kessler, (423) 265-2020, [email protected], or visit the ESRC website at http://www.nasarallysport.com/esrc/.

-30-

·
Registered
868 Posts
Does the class allow "smaller than stock" brakes? This would make it possible for the US spec STI and Evo VIII cars to run 15-inch wheels. Requiring 17-inch wheels would be ridiculous, so I assume that problem has been solved.
It certainly makes sense for these cars to fit into a production-type class, so I think this was a good idea. Simply combining with Group N or PGT would be reasonable too.
Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave,

Yes, the problem has been solved for using the Group N brakes on the STi. The splitting of SS into two classes is because the technology gap between the STi/Evo VIII and the remaining SS class cars is too great to overcome with restrictors or weight.
Group N has such a strong technology creep, with some reports of the latest International spec N4 class cars now having 300hp and 380 ft/lbs of torques, that we could never combine those classes.

John K. Shirley
Eastern States Rally Championship

·
Registered
868 Posts
Will the US-spec EVO VIIIs be allowed to run group N brakes too in this class? Or will they need to use Brembos and 17-inch wheels? I assume that if the STI can be run with GN brakes the EVO VIII will be allowed to as well.

For now I'm fine with having a special production oriented class for US EVO VIIIs and STIs, I guess. But you could make the case that PGT/SS drivers need to become accustomed to having their cars become obsolete (like the 323 GTX did). A long time ago the hot PGT cars were Dodge Shelby things of various body types. Nobody tried to keep the class from progressing, and eventually the Eclipse/Talon became the vehicle to have. To me it wouldn't be unreasonable to have the 2002 US WRX in the same class as these newer and better 2004 vehicles. Anyway, we'll see what the future holds.

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
That,s great that NASA will allow these cars to compete. Wouldn`t it make sense for Rally America to follow suit, that way enabling competitors more options for events to enter.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>That,s great that NASA will allow these cars to compete.
>Wouldn`t it make sense for Rally America to follow suit,
>that way enabling competitors more options for events to
>enter.

These cars are legal in Rally-America events, but currently they would have to run in open instead of having their own class.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
My po-boy evo is uncompetitive against cars like the Havirmobile, Workum's rocket, and Burke's nuclear powered evo. They should be in their own class, Super Open. That way I can get a trophy too.

Get the point? One of the things that always turned me off about road racing was the myriad of overlapping classes. It was confusing and redundant. I'd hate to see rally go that way. In that sense the GrF boys have some good ideas about class consolidation. It will be interesting to see if it works.

I can see this new class for one reason though; that damn 2.5L engine in the STI. Doing a proper GrN conversion is mega bucks (engine swap), and it doesn't fit well in the GT style or open classes for restrictor reasons.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the Evo VIII wil be allowed to run the Group N brakes in Super Stock 1.

John K. Shirley
Eastern States Rally Championship

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dennis,

Your evo may not be quite at the level of some of the other open class cars, but at least you're in the ballpark. A 2.5RS or a 323GTX chasing an STi is not the same ballpark, its not even the same sport.

Brandon

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>Dennis,
>
>Your evo may not be quite at the level of some of the other
>open class cars, but at least you're in the ballpark. A
>2.5RS or a 323GTX chasing an STi is not the same ballpark,
>its not even the same sport.
>
>Brandon

Not necessarily. I give up almost 100hp to some of those top open cars, and some weight as well. Of course Pat R's GrN gives up a further 40 or 50 ponies to my car, and some weight, and that doesn't seem to stop him.

My point was that if every time we see a new generation of cars come out we make a new class, we'll end up with a zillion classes. In this case what I would have done was to create local GrN homologations which would allow the 2.5STI to run, the non electric diff evo to run, etc... Since the cars will be more or less the same speed as a GrN car, and specced very similarly, might as well lump them into N.

Again, it's that 2.5L that really screws things up. I know Subaru thought they were doing us a favor, but at least for the rally community it was a PIA. Damn you Subaru, DAMN YOU!

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Flyboy said:
>My po-boy evo is uncompetitive against cars like the Havirmobile,
>Workum's rocket, and Burke's nuclear powered evo. They should be in
>their own class, Super Open. That way I can get a trophy too.

Zimmer got a trophy for 3rd OVERALL for the
season with no turbo at all... I expect he's
down quite a few ponies on all of y'all.

If you can't beat 'em head on (stage by stage),
change your plan of attack (championship).

:)

ANders

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: class in session

Anders,
I am trying to learn "*******" for my trips south.
re:
"down quite a few ponies on all of y'all."
I am not familiar with this useage.

Would this also be OK as,
"down quite a few ponies on all y'all."
or
"down quite a few ponies on y'all."

did the meaning change for each?
???

rz
edit:
don't forget Jeff was 2nd with an open diff 2wd!
and the EVO count averaged 8+ per event, sometimes 12 or more showed - take that left coasters!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

RZ,

We'un's 'ppreciate yor desar to larn owr manner o' spekin', but yo must crawl befo yo kin walk.

Now, let me speak in your language to make it easy for you. Prior to getting to the very advanced nuances of 'y'allism's, let's start with the basic usage of 'hyar'.

For example, your phrase below:
>I am not familiar with this useage.

As a beginner, you must say it this way:
>I am not familiar with this hyar useage.

I would suggest you reprat this phrase numerous times over the next week, saying it out loud and in front of numerous people, so that you can be come fully confident in it's usage and see the full effect. Then we can proceed to more advanced topics.

Regards,
Mark B.
PS: Ditch the bow-tie; it may be perceived as a sort of road sign and thus automatically qualify as a target......:)

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts

>As a beginner, you must say it this way:
>>I am not familiar with this hyar useage.
>
>Regards,
>Mark B.

And of course, he must master the use of "at" as in:

Southerner: "Whar's the cold beer at?"

Yankee: "Don't you know that you are not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition?"

Southerner: "Okay, whar's the cold beer at, a**hole."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts