Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK people, I would like to get your input into using "super rally" points system where if you DNF on the first day you can restart the second day and earn points, I for one have gone from California to STPR and DNF on the practic stage, Also went to Maine and DNF,d on the transit to the first stage, A lot of drivers work on their cars right until the day of the rally and on the first couple of stages something silly happens causing them to DNF, it gets very discouraging and stops drivers from traveling to far away events
The champianship would be a lot closer had their been a super rally point system in place
Lets start a superrally system, Not sure yet how to work it, I was thinking 1 point per 10 miles of special stage and 2 points to the overall winner for the 2 day event, so if you do 60 stages on sat and win you class you get 6 points and on sunday if you dnf you get none, the driver that finished both days and the rally was 100miles of special stages gets 5points sat(was 2nd at the end of the day and 4 points plus 2 bonus points for winning outright
what are your thoughts and how would we score it??
Leon Styles

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RE: Super rally points system for 200?

I would hope the 2005 rulebook is pretty much already written.

Equally as disappointing as DNFing early in a rally as Leon mentions is DNFing on the final stage (or transit) and getting nothing. 3 days recce, 3 days rally, 1300 kms each, and a big DNF on the final transit back to HQ at Charlevoix was a heartbreaker.

But, its rally and the endurance aspect appeals to me. The super rally points makes it more of a bunch of combined rallysprints. This would lessen the amount of overall stragedy involved (saving your tires, comparing times with other teams, road position issues). It would be full-tilt from the get-go and every stage, not that I'm opposed to that either. While it would make better spectating, as a competitor, I feel the current scoring creates more interesting competition.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't like the idea. I like the idea of rallying being an endurance event. Rally is a test of A) car preparation, B) team preparation, and C) skill. It should stay that way.

Eric (proud to say we have had just 1 DNF in our last 17 ProRallies)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>I don't like the idea. I like the idea of rallying being an
>endurance event. Rally is a test of A) car preparation, B)
>team preparation, and C) skill. It should stay that way.
>
>Eric (proud to say we have had just 1 DNF in our last 17
>ProRallies)
On A and B, I agree 100+ %. I know the top guys are always fiddling with their cars to try to get that extra 1 horsepower. But I feel it's no ones fault but your own it the car is not ready atleast several days before the rally allowing some (minimum) test time! I don't got to rallies (or any kind of racing) to work on the car. I want that all done before I leave. Let's keep it an endurance event.

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
History does what?

Oh, yeah, history repeats itself....

Some variations on Leon's theme were discussed at the 1999 Rim Town Hall Meeting (http://www.widgetracing.com/clubrally/rimth_99.htm) and on the equivalent of SS.com. (I forget which one now.)

At any rate, perhaps Leon's idea would boost entries at the national level. Times were certainly different five years ago, but back then people didn't want to mess with it. It'll be interesting to see how people's opinions have changed.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
309 Posts
RE: History does what?

I love the idea, Leon. Car prep or over charging isn't always the reason for a DNF, sometimes just plain old sheeety luck comes into play. If I could have ran for something on sunday at Cog, I would have loved to come out and play with you and Doug Havir and Peter.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I am looking at trying to help the sport grow, I know rallying is an endurance event, under the super rally points Pat R would have won earlier
I am trying to keep more people rallying for longer, less than 1/2 the cars finished Cog which makes it boring from TV and spectators point of view, lets keep as many people in the champianship hunt as possible and give everyone a great show, and give the drivers value for monies/time spent
Leon

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

I (and I'm sure alot of people) are all for letting a car back in on the second day (or equivalent). More seat time and more bang for the buck are a good thing. But I'm not sure about the points. Let's first have an official procedure for getting back in, then think about the points issue.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

>I am looking at trying to help the sport grow, I know
>rallying is an endurance event, under the super rally points
>Pat R would have won earlier
>I am trying to keep more people rallying for longer, less
>than 1/2 the cars finished Cog which makes it boring from TV
>and spectators point of view, lets keep as many people in
>the champianship hunt as possible and give everyone a great
>show, and give the drivers value for monies/time spent
>Leon

on the plus side everone that finished should get on tv:p

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

>I (and I'm sure alot of people) are all for letting a car
>back in on the second day (or equivalent). More seat time
>and more bang for the buck are a good thing. But I'm not
>sure about the points. Let's first have an official
>procedure for getting back in, then think about the points
>issue.

Agreed. Seat time is one thing. Points are another.

·
Registered
907 Posts

I think there is something to the SuperRally system. Would give teams something to run for on day 2 and etc. It would make it more fun for the spectors to see most of the field still running. Lots of events run Friday night and Saturday, i.e. RIM
Most of the specatators come on Saturday to see a rally and RIM being pretty tough looses lots of cars on Friday night. Having more cars on the road can only make it more fun for the spectators and help the sport grow in the long term.

Agree rally is an endurance sport, so if you can work on your car after you dnf and pull an all nighter to run on day 2, I think that is some sort of reflection of endurance and skill on your team/crew?

Good add Leon

-george

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

>Agree rally is an endurance sport, so if you can work on
>your car after you dnf and pull an all nighter to run on day
>2, I think that is some sort of reflection of endurance and
>skill on your team/crew?
>
>Good add Leon
>
>-george

thats a really good angle. if a crew can get a car going w/in a few hours that is a major accomplishment.

·
Registered
374 Posts
....even at the club level for two day events!

More cars for the fans.

More seat time.

More cars involved for TV.

More exposure for sponsors.

Way more pro's than con's with this format.

Give say "X" points for start points.

Give "X" points per stage mile per stage. (If you do not complete a certain stage you get no points for that stage.)

Finishing the day points and Event finishing points.

The larger the event, the more points you can accumulate.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
RE: ....even at the club level for two day events!

Don't we already have that system in the Pro rally, with the dual entry, club and pro. If you brake on the first day, you are allowed on the second day for club only.
To make it better, car entered in Pro should be automaticly enter in Club for both day without extra charge.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts

>To make it better, car entered in Pro should be automaticly
>enter in Club for both day without extra charge.

That is a terrible idea. Keep Club for ClubRalliest. Otherwise the 'Pro' teams distract from the ClubRally championships and points available to Clubies.

And having Pro teams who DNFed but are allowed to continue as unscored 'also-rans' can interfere with teams that are still competing in the events.
Tough call.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Most of the Pro already enter in dual. That is the fisrt time I hear somebody complaining about it.
Are Club rallyiest really unhappy about the dual entry?
I just want to know,'cause I do it everytime I enter a Pro rally.

·
Registered
180 Posts

>Are Club rallyiest really unhappy about the dual entry?
>I just want to know,'cause I do it everytime I enter a Pro
>rally.

I can't speak for all club ralliests, heck I can only speak for myself, but as a competitor I'm opposed to dual entry.

I view "Pro" rally and "Club" rally as two different leagues. In "Pro" I think we have people with the time and the money to run events all over the country and usually newer more expensive cars. I view Club rally as more of a league for hobbiests. People with more limited resources, who want to compete locally. For lack of a better comparision I view "Pro" Rally as "Major League" and Club Rally as "Minor League." I don't mean that as a put down to Club Ralliests but just as a comparision. Now if the New York Yankees have a bad game (bad event) they don't get to compete against a minor league team the next day, so why should the "Pro" ralliests get to compete against the "Club" Ralliests the next day?

Again that's just my opinion and I'm sure some will disagree.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.