Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my perspective is the exact opposite. I prefer my award ceremonies short and sweet.

I think awards for the class winners in each event are appropriate. A litany of awards for 1-2-3 in every class in the National and both Divisionals make me want to do a crossword puzzle. Especially as it's usually the same people trooping up and back.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When me and Da Brat won our class at Sno-Drift, we didnt get any trophy. (They said only two people entered, so I was like eh, fair enough. But I really did wanna make a speech).

We didnt get one for winning at STPR either, and I was confused at the Maine party so we split. (I didnt want to pay like $30/person to get in, or something)

I am wondering do we get a trophy for winnin the champ?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The awards thing is tricky, sometimes classes are undersubscribed and you don't want to get stuck with extra $10 awards. For some reason, I'd just feel really bad about having to throw something away that somebody might have trashed a really nice rally car to try and earn if there had been more people in the class.

As for saying a few words after the rally, I think a heartfelt plea to the MC for the evening may be your best bet.

-james

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree.
I really feel like a tool going to get my trinket, when I win my class (p). Because i/we are the only entrant(s). But it is a opportunity to point out that we beat all the G2 cars or at least most of them. And anther reason is to acknowledege a professional courtesy from another team, and of course thank yous.

Yes Sno-drift sucked.

But LSPR last year was a class act. It was a anniversary year and they rewarded or awarded class winners entry fees for this year. I again acted like a post, and did not say thank you, but i bet i could have, if i would have pursued the radio dude to give me the mic.
*I am a little buzzed by the lack of thankyous from the recipients.*

As long as I am venting. the coolest thing this year is one of RA`s biggest pains..( I am sure). Keeping every one awake till the last competitor comes in . Yah thats right the Ferme` You really feel like a racer when you get home, and you have a picture of yourself dancing like a crazed monkey with a bottle and cork. This is very cool and i hope it stays.
My point? keep the photo op. The trinket can come or go, but thank yous are important. We need the PR.
Mike Merbach

P.s. Did you see DCH two fisting it, on national TV? rewind the tape.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes yes. More champagne spray! More Andre! More bubbly spray, sticky hair, stinky suits, and burning eyes! Champagne for anyone who dragged their car across the line in first, second, or third in class!

I do think this is a great Rally-America tradition.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
>But LSPR last year was a class act. It was a anniversary year
>and they rewarded or awarded class winners entry fees for this
>year.

Wait, hold the fone.

Class winners last year at LSPR got free entry this year!?

How come I didnt know that? That kinda stuff needs to be mega advertised, would entice drivers to put on a much better show, if you catch my drift. BWaaaA!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I liked the good ol' days best. We all ran in one class. John Buffum, Rod Millen, and some also-ran got the trophies.... short and sweet.

The rest of us had entry fees around $100 (plus or minus), a great time, and very little of the current BS to spoil the fun.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
hello, I have been a competitor for many years and love this sport way too much, but I have seen it change and would like to make some suggestions
I have noticed that at some events you get Trophies for all divisions, ie CRS, WSRC,NW class 1 etc and also get the opportunity to go on stage at the awards banquet and thank the workers, organisers , sponsers etc
What I have noticed is this is changing, at many events I have been to even at Pro events where we are paying $900+ entry fee,s we are not getting awards unless we win our class, and are not allowed up on stage to thank everyone
Why is this??,
When a event is over we have our memories, pictures and hopefully a $10 Award, Organisers, Please acknowlege all Divisions and charge $10 more per entry to cover the cost of the Award and let us thank everyone OK :)
Leon Styles

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank You Mad Kiwi for bringing this up. I wanted to ask the same quastion. I think my kid are more happer then i am when we win or get a trophy. We raced this years Pikes Peak and I have waited a life time to do this. We got 2nd place in prodution class. In a 3500 pound Jeep Cherokee. Thanks to my sponsors. When i got home my sponsors wanted to see a trophy for 2nd place. All i had was the empty champan bottle. My kids made me a plaque with the jeep on it. You would think a event that big you would get something more then a empty bottle. I will be back next year. Thanks Dennis
Life is a Race.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>I liked the good ol' days best. We all ran in one class.
>John Buffum, Rod Millen, and some also-ran got the
>trophies.... short and sweet.
>
>The rest of us had entry fees around $100 (plus or minus), a
>great time, and very little of the current BS to spoil the
>fun.
>
>

it must be very tiring to be you.

and i agree w/christian bubbly for all!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If spending $1,000 entry fee, meals, fuel, hotel, etc for a $10 piece of plastic with your name on it works for you, go for it.

Trophies strike me as useless junk. With one exception all the trophies I have won (divisional ProRally, TSDs, etc) are sitting in a cabinet collecting dust until I get around to throwing them out.

The one exception is a 2nd place trophy that I was mistakenly given (because I won) has a clock built into it. That trophy serves some useful purpose, and keeps reasonably good time. It is used every day. The rest... are soon to be trash.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well if you have sponsors who saw you win and would like to be mentioned as part of your sponsorship proposal then yes there should be time and a award for your efforts three deep in each class. If you as a organizer see that your entry list is somewhat short in a particular class then on the day of the rally someone else in that class enters then have it arranged to get them the award afterwards in the mail if you do not have a trophy shop that can't make them on the spot. Some rallys do have that type of service and some don't....but not letting second and third place in each class and overall not get their moment to thank everyone and their sponsors for sponsoring them does get noticed by potential sponsors...their are marketing personel from companies at these events who are looking and watching to see where this sport is heading... and even at regional events we propose that the sponsor will be mentioned and we thank the ones that get us there is a nice touch and lastly just plain being considerate to your service crew who worked long hours to keep you in that seat if you win 1-3 or overall. It is called PR/professionalism to your crew, sponsors, and to the public/family who helped to get you where you are at that moment.

Do not get me wrong...I have lots of respect for organizers...I am one of them, but I also like to give all these competitors their moment because it maybe their only time to get up to thank everyone and feel good about themselves for their accomplishment or that boost to continue to stay in this sport.
:)

Denise McMahon
Team Manager
Widget Rally Team

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>When a event is over we have our memories, pictures and
>hopefully a $10 Award, Organisers, Please acknowlege all
>Divisions and charge $10 more per entry to cover the cost of
>the Award and let us thank everyone OK :)
>Leon Styles
>

Well you're at it, tack on another ten bucks and get a couple half barrels. This $3 a bottle hotel bar crap is killing me. If the organizers don't wanna do this, then lets appoint a "Beer Czar" to pass a hat at every rally and get the suds. I nominate DCH for this job. He's at every rally, yet he doesn't seem to have any official duties, and he is regularily spotted drinking good beer.

Seriously, this hotel bar stuff is really annoying.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
274 Posts
>
>Well you're at it, tack on another ten bucks and get a couple
>half barrels. This $3 a bottle hotel bar crap is killing me.
>If the organizers don't wanna do this, then lets appoint a
>"Beer Czar" to pass a hat at every rally and get the suds. I
>nominate DCH for this job. He's at every rally, yet he
>doesn't seem to have any official duties, and he is regularily
>spotted drinking good beer.

So we're holding the keggers in your room then? This sort of thing needs grassroots level organization. Officially, it's probably in violation of some liquor laws or something. At the very least, good luck convincing a hotel that their beer is overpriced and you should be allowed to bring your own kegs.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I got to tell ya Leon, awards don't always cost $10. We at Oregon Trail prefer to spend more on quality awards that represent our state, which is why we use lazer engraved LOCAL wood to make our trophies.

And, we spend significantly more on trophies than $10. To increase the number we give (although, we're in the give more than first place category), it would have a significant impact on your entry fee.

So, some organizers prefer to put more time and effort into awards, to represent their events.

Mark Tabor
ORG Treasurer

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
>Well you're at it, tack on another ten bucks and get a couple
>half barrels. This $3 a bottle hotel bar crap is killing me.
>If the organizers don't wanna do this, then lets appoint a
>"Beer Czar" to pass a hat at every rally and get the suds. I
>nominate DCH for this job. He's at every rally, yet he
>doesn't seem to have any official duties, and he is regularily
>spotted drinking good beer.

I don't think it is appropriate for those of us that don't drink or don't drink beer to pay for beer. I am all for those that wish to throw into a hat for beer. Please don't ask me to do so.

Drink tickets with more than beer (including multiple NA options) available is also a worthwhile option. Just please don't assume everyone can enjoy a beer after the event.

I have been at too many events that ran out of soda and never ran out of beer.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.