Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
x( :-( These designated spectating areas at STPR sucked. We need more open spectating. The areas were over crowded, over grown, to far from the road, not enough of them, and slow speed corners. Maybe if enough people complain they will change it. Please e-mail SCCA.x( x(

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
RE: Sucky Spectating (huh?)

Hmmm. It was great where I was. I got to talk to all the drivers and co-drivers (well, at least the ones that made it that far, and the co-drivers who were not sick). Also, lots of locals (including one guy who didn't really want me to know where he was going fishing), and several DCNR folks, and medics, and LOTS of HAMs, course opening and closing ...

press on (I was at the start of SS7 & 10),

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I only saw stages 1 & 5. Good viewing at both. The old days are gone forever. Get over it. Better yet, volunteer as a marshal. Best seat in the house.

And lest ye think the spectating is better at NASA, think again. All sanctioning bodies are struggling with the same safety requirements, and they are doing it to protect YOU!

·
Registered
234 Posts
You're absolutely right. Can't have events without insurance and there isn't an insurance company in the world that would provide coverage without knowing that spectators are in safe areas. The old days of hiking into the woods and jumping out of the road as the cars come by are gone. Not that it was ever a smart thing to do, but drinking and driving wasn't seen as that bad 30 years ago. Lawyers and politicians changed that. Let's try to keep them both out of rallying.

Gary

·
Registered
240 Posts

I thought the spectating sucked only because I would rather be driving/co-driving/crewing. But other than that the spectating was pretty good. You need to get to the spectating areas early to get a really good spot. We spectated at ASAPH and Colton Point. ASAPH we arrived an hour before the first car and Colton was about 45 minutes before Course Opening, but we were on the the better side seeing them come down the chicane rather than have mud thrown at me and see on tailights.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Spectated 3 and 5. Thought they were quite good. Dirt bikes make the parking issue go away...until everyone starts riding dirt bikes. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may be right the old days may be gone but I don't have to like it. The problem is the lawers, the scared insurance CO, and a lack of something called personal responsibly, IE stupid people and the lawers that can get them money for being stupid.

·
Registered
234 Posts
>You may be right the old days may be gone but I don't have
>to like it. The problem is the lawers, the scared insurance
>CO, and a lack of something called personal responsibly, IE
>stupid people and the lawers that can get them money for
>being stupid.

Can't disagree with you there, but that's life in the U.S.

Gary

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
while i agree the lack of personal responsibility is a problem, i feel the real problem is a lack of volunteers to control the spectator areas. and that people dont listen to the marshals. a good spectator area needs at least 20 marshalls in my opinion. and possibly some police and/or rent-a-cops. and emergency workers and a radio operator. if you have 6 areas thats 120 spectator marshalls. in addition to the 20-30 each stage for intersections and the 5-10 start and finish workers for each stage. that is alot of people out in the woods. we need more volunteers. if we have more you wont need to marshall at 2 or three stages like we have to do now. you could marshall/work one stage and the go spectate at another. that may help get more volunteers. talk about a beneficial cycle!

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Spectator shuttlebus and incorrect spectator guide

All I know is that I did a lot of walking from where you could park to the spectator areas. A spectator shuttlebus from the green would have reduced this.

And the spectator guide had duplicate instructions and incorrect travel times like the 7 minute estimated time to get to 2nd stage5 spectator area which was 20-30 miles. Did not go to that area but obviously a blantant error.

·
Registered
926 Posts
>x( :-( These designated spectating areas at STPR sucked. We
>need more open spectating. The areas were over crowded,
>over grown, to far from the road, not enough of them, and
>slow speed corners. Maybe if enough people complain they
>will change it. Please e-mail SCCA.x( x(

You can do something about it besides complaining if you choose. Become a volunteer worker. Besides the opportunity to see more, you get a T-shirt, pin, and a couple free meals.

I thought spectating from the right seat in the T2 car was good fun, as was working at tech.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RE: Spectator shuttlebus and incorrect spectator guide

You really want to pay $55 for a ride to spectate?????

(Price point established by those fine folk at RIM)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
>>x( :-( These designated spectating areas at STPR sucked. We
>>need more open spectating. The areas were over crowded,
>>over grown, to far from the road, not enough of them, and
>>slow speed corners. Maybe if enough people complain they
>>will change it. Please e-mail SCCA.x( x(
>
>You can do something about it besides complaining if you
>choose. Become a volunteer worker. Besides the opportunity
>to see more, you get a T-shirt, pin, and a couple free
>meals.
>
>I thought spectating from the right seat in the T2 car was
>good fun, as was working at tech.
I have done all that at different years and volunteer can not change anything unless as a volunteer you let people go were ever they want. You cant grow the sport and make it better by making every on volunteers, you need good spectating!

·
Registered
68 Posts

>And the spectator guide had duplicate instructions and
>incorrect travel times like the 7 minute estimated time to
>get to 2nd stage5 spectator area which was 20-30 miles. Did
>not go to that area but obviously a blantant error.

That's where we headed to after the meal break. We caught up with a few other carfuls of people who had "been around this damn mountain a few times an couldn't find ****." One duplicate instruction, and an incorrect mileage right after it, but we found our way up. The trip back down the mountain gave Nick his first shot at co-driving(well, not really), and we had a row of probably 6-10 cars following us. The spectating was fantastic, as there was a nice long stretch into a tight turn, then another long stretch on the way out. Made for some nice action(including one of the Subies almost taking out the cameraman). The crowd was lively, too. If only the walk up from the car hadn't been almost a mile...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Lawyers and politicians
>changed that. Let's try to keep them both out of rallying.
>
>Gary

We sure do have long memory's in this sport.

Perhaps I should give you a couple of phone numbers to call to see if spectator safety matters or not.

My opinion is that Spectator safety is still going the wrong direction. With time everyone is forgeting the sawmill accident. Spectators better accept the current reality or we'll go back to NO spectating allowed.

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts

> The crowd was lively, too.

I could hear the crowds @ almost every spectating point. Even over my instructions, the gravel, the motor, and the heavy breathing of my hardworking driver. The loudest was @ the chichane and I looked up and got lost in my notes from the distraction of a heck of a lot of happy sounding people.

But you won't hear from them here because they were the regular people who don't even know about forums where malcontents come to nitpick. They go into the woods to have fun and watch cars go fast.

I/we, the crew, had a lot of fun, it was a well run rally and we tried to kick up extra gravel for the people watching.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Bernie
893 Loose Nut Racing Co-driver

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Even though I was driving? }> }> }> ('come on Jim, let me drive...)
W1JIM

PS - Anyone get any pix of us; we had the Silver Audi A4 "T2"?
JB

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts

>You really want to pay $55 for a ride to spectate?????
>
>(Price point established by those fine folk at RIM)

Free at CherokeeTrails.

For $55 you can spectate from a helicopter at Rally of the Tall Pines.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts