Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Am in market for relatively new used car. Looking very seriously at Subaru Outbacker/Foresters as the second coming of The Ultimate Rally Worker's Vehicle. Anyone have any tips about suspension mods/wheels/tires? Occasional stage use in traveling to spectator points, but mostly city/highway use (and the rare Ohio snowstorm).

2. Anyone heard anything about the new Sube model to be introduced this fall? The pic in the latest issue of Consumer Reports says it's a 4dr Legacy with the trunk area converted to a short pickup box and a removable window between passenger box and bed.

Hmmmm...truck class legal for '03???

·
Registered
115 Posts
>2. Anyone heard anything about the new Sube model to be
>introduced this fall? The pic in the latest issue of
>Consumer Reports says it's a 4dr Legacy with the trunk area
>converted to a short pickup box and a removable window
>between passenger box and bed.

I haven't heard anything worthing mentioning about that Subaru Brat wannabe thinggy. However, I have heard rumors about a Turbo Forester making it's way over here. That would be pretty cool! If Sube Gal doesn't pipe up and educate us soon, you may want to search around on i-club.

Matt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
you are referring to the BAJA...
see this site -
http://www.subarubaja.com/index.html
be interesting to see if and how well it sells! :)

as far as mods for the subaru...
there are too many to list..
sway bars, strut bars, strut spring combos,
coil over kits, skid plates... blah.. blah.. :D

get specific w/your questions and i can get you some links!

the Legacy has and will always be
my favorite of the Subaru's available...
it's very much more car than the Impreza line..
many added comfort and cargo features -

and yes... turbo Forester is rumored this year..
while the Turbo Legacy is a distant 2005 or 6 rumor...

please feel free to email me if you have any questions...
i know a "little" bit about these cars ;)
cheers!
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>as far as mods for the subaru...
>there are too many to list..
>sway bars, strut bars, strut spring combos,
>coil over kits, skid plates... blah.. blah.. :D
>
>get specific w/your questions and i can get you some links!
>

Vehicle: Outbacker/Forester, used, less than 6 years old

Use: 99% paved, occasional dirt (gotta get to them spectator points, y'know)

Basic suggested mods of shocks/springs/wheels/tires for above applications. Not interested in neck-wrecker tire/wheel combos; maybe a tad wider wheel/tire combo, shock/spring rates, etc, for some improvement in pavement handling. No intention of going fast enough on dirt to do any mischief (famous last words).
Just a little something to make her a tad more responsive when dodging the occasional drunk down in the Oregon district.
Yes, cost is a factor here. The cheaper the better. I'm interested in function, not pretty. If I want to pretty her up, there's always spray paint.

Charlie KA8QOF

·
Registered
35 Posts
Charlie, why dodge the drunk? Put a pushbar on the front. And if you're looking for cheep/not pretty, you can pick up a Sube Justy for only a few hundred dollars. So here it is, Charlies new ride. A 1984 Subaru Justy (AWD of course) LIME GREEN cause it needs to be prettied up a little, with a pushbar on front so as not to dodge the drunkies. Remember the ones that are allready passed out are only worth 5 points, if their still moving it's a good 20.
:+ <------ Look for this!!!

Lee

P.S. It's NOT ok to play this game at STPR or ANY! rally for that matter because there wouldn't be any more competitors left!!! Although you would have a metric BUTT TON of points.

"Suck Squish Bang Blow, the central equation of life"

·
Registered
452 Posts
suggested mods of shocks/springs/wheels/tires for above applications

KYB/AGX struts. valving adjustability (8r/4f)
www.p-s-t.com $390 for the set

use with any subaru spring out there...
i suggest the P1 sprints, SPT (www.subaru.com), or Whiteline springs - springs typically run $300 or so - if this doesnt sound do-able, you can swap in some Outback Sport springs from a Subar OBS... they are taller, firmer and will hold the load of the aftermarket struts quite well.

Tires...
i use and will stand by the Dunlop sp5000's
they are an "all season" tire and can be had for about $90 each
www.tirerack.com
they are great in the wet, good in the snow (up to about 8") and decent enough in the dry! They are durable, take a pounding (eerrrm... i plead the 5th on this one) and last until around 40k miles..

i hope this helps...
let me know if you need more links, or have more questions.
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
The Stigs fat American cousin
51 Posts
>KYB/AGX struts. valving adjustability (8r/4f)
>www.p-s-t.com $390 for the set

Run, don't walk, from these. the AGX was the only availble adjustable strut on the subies for a while, they are NOT good. espically if you are going with a higher rate then stock spring.

spend a little extra and get a good strut now, or you will need to later.

Jeff

·
Registered
452 Posts
i ran the KYB/AGX's with H&R springs on my Legacy GT

Never did i have a problem or issue until i rallycrossed on em ;)
and i "did" blow a strut and KYB "did" replace it for free.

i know many others (literally 100's) running these with aftermarket springs and no problems what so ever.

other options?

see:
www.spdusa.com (P1 suspension and others...)
www.subaru.com (spt struts)
www.isrperformance.com

have fun
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
Registered
240 Posts
For springs, I have friends who love the leeda springs for street use, but I don't have a clue wear they were purchased from.

For some Justy fun...
I would love to see possibly a WRX or turbo XT motor in one featuring 22b widened fenders all the way aroundwith widened wheel stance to match. Hella headlight conversion to the dual round setup, carbon fiber carbon fiber and more! And you thought that little japanese car in Cannonball Run was fast!

I may need to do some renderings of this monster to "DEMON"-strate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...mmmmm...open class...

Wonder what it'd take to get that rear wheel back in line?

I'd scare the crap out of everyone if I showed up at LSPR in that thing...hmmmm... :7

·
51 Posts
the koni inserts are nice, the P1 bilsteins are nice, and the V5's are nice with the correct springs. otherwise you need to go full coil over, my buddy has been working on grafting Koni Double adjustable struts into the subie, but that is a little overkill unless your racing. plain and simple the KYB's stand for "Keep Ya Bouncing" and are regarded amongst all Serious racers as a joke.

Jeff

·
51 Posts
all the brats were built with the EA81 (CAM in block) engine, even when all the other cars had been changed to the EA82 (overhead cam) engine the brats retained the older engine because the OHC required the frame rails be moved out and the brat was not enough of a seller for subaru to redesign it. you MIGHT fit a OHC engine in a brat with SERIOUS modifications like building a front tube frame and subframe from scratch, or similar mods. It'd be extremely cool but so darn expensive. I've owned a couple older subies, (pick them up for $100-$200 all day long. and they are tough.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
but you see charlie isnt looking to build a race car but a rallyworker/street car. the kyb are great for that. i have a 95 legacy L awd wagon w/204,000 mi. and nearly 35,000 of them are on a set of agx/s set at the middle setting w/(horror of horrors) stock springs. my wife loves the ride quality. ran it at medium pace on my flat and twisty rallyx track on our farm and was also pleased w/the ride but the accelration and braking sucked alot. charlie, the best upgrades that can be done are metal master brake pads and hightemp brake fluid and swapping to amsoil synthetic gearlube or atf depending on your tranny choice. legacy brakes are notoriuosly mushy and the pads and brake fluid will totally alter the feeling of the brakes for the better. and the amsoil makes the shifts so much smoother and will help prolong the life of the auto trans. viscous clutch pack that is notorious for binding slightly if you dont change the fluid evry 35,000 miles (speaking from personal experience on thess one) the biggest reason to go w/agx struts is bang for the buck. oem replacement struts are more expensive. i dont want to lower my car that is why i didnt change springs but putting legacy GT spring on it w/agx's would be a good strut spring combo. as far as tires i have heard good things about the yokohama avid h4's. just my opinion. i hope you get one and enjoy it. i love my wagon on stage roads in MN.
greg donovan

my wife and i visited w/you at the LSPR awards party sat. night and we hope to see you again and talk subarus. in case you havent noticed us subaru junkies are like a cult.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts