Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUBARU SHIFTS FOCUS OF 2004 US MOTOR SPORTS PROGRAM

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Jan. 14, 2004 -- Subaru of America, Inc., the only car company that features Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive as standard equipment on every vehicle in its product line, today announced it will shift the focus of its motor sports program in the United States for 2004. Subaru will withdraw its factory team from competition this year in the SCCA ProRally Championship Series, and focus support on the efforts of Subaru privateers through increased contingency funds and on-site parts support under the new Subaru Rally Support Program. The company will also contribute to the SCCA Partnership Bonus Program this year.

"We came to this decision based primarily on the lack of manufacturer competition within the Open Class category for 2004," said Tim Bennett, director of marketing programs, Subaru of America, Inc. "Subaru will remain the largest official contingency sponsor of the 2004 SCCA ProRally Championship and contribute to the SCCA Partnership Bonus Program, exhibiting our commitment to facilitating the growth of rallying in the US."

Under the new Subaru Rally Support Program, the company will maintain the highest total contingency payout through the Subaru Championship Cup program and offer contingency funds to Subaru entrants in the Production GT Class and at selected ClubRally events. Subaru will provide a Subaru Rally Parts Support Truck on-site at most ProRally events to offer competitors access to Genuine Subaru Parts.

The SCCA Partnership Bonus Program offers event organizers financial and operational assistance for continued development of their individual events. This initiative is designed to improve such things as operational consistency throughout the championship, marketing and public relations efforts. For more information visit www.scca.com.

In addition, Subaru will continue to be the primary broadcast sponsor of the World Rally Championship programming on Speed Channel for 2004.

About Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered near Philadelphia, the company markets and distributes all-wheel drive Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of nearly 600 dealers across the United States. Subaru is the only car company that offers symmetrical all-wheel drive as standard equipment on every vehicle in its product line. For additional information please visit www.media.subaru.com.

(link to article: http://vocuspr.vocus.com/VocusPR30/...9&XSL=PressRelease&Title=Releases&Cache=False)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
On site parts truck. Great move. I think this is the scale that makes sense in this country. Support. Cash. Parts. For the drivers of their cars. I'm glad they still see the value of the series to do this. In the end, it opens the door for other manufacturers and companies to get involved at levels that make sense for their investments. It is a formula for growth...In my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So are they actually going to give good prices on parts? Assuming they are willing to spend even a fraction of what they spent last year they would be giving them away to any Subaru that got damaged in the race :7

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i will miss the blue monsters. however, i agree w/Lurch that the support stuff is cool and a proprtionate move to promote themselves and the sport. im sure any subaru competitor could get parts both club and pro.
i know jb niday would have rather bought the drivers windshield wiper arm from SOA rather than vermont sportscar in '02 @ LSPR.

greg

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hmmm . . . does this mean Subaru might actually pay contingency money for Open class at ProRallies in 2004? Last year it was so silly that they paid out for other classes, but not open.
Dave
Car # 207

·
Registered
240 Posts
>Hmmm . . . does this mean Subaru might actually pay
>contingency money for Open class at ProRallies in 2004?
>Last year it was so silly that they paid out for other
>classes, but not open.
>Dave
>Car # 207

No, I don't think they will. I think they realize that the big $$ of Open is what killed the sport by not allowing other manufacturers in.

·
Registered
533 Posts
This kind of thing also makes sense for that likes of myself, driving a subaru as a course opening car. No, things shouldn't break.. But if they do, I now know that I can rely on parts being there if I need them.

JBLewis

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And you have to ask how useful would standard Subaru parts be to an open class car?

At least with a Grp N or PGT car, it is more likely the standard parts are being used on the car in many places.

2004 hopefully will see some close battles in the production classes.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>This kind of thing also makes sense for that likes of
>myself, driving a subaru as a course opening car. No,
>things shouldn't break.. But if they do, I now know that I
>can rely on parts being there if I need them.
>
>JBLewis

Right on JB

Since Sisu Silas works at a Subie dealer he has already been exploring ways to increase the "flexibility of repair" factor for the ol' Sentra. A neato hybrid needs only a bit of momentum to materialize, momentum like an on-site supply of parts.

Now if we only had an on-site mojakka van...

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>And you have to ask how useful would standard Subaru parts
>be to an open class car?

I have co-driven a couple open class WRXs that were only in open because of a small number of things (like the wrong gear ratios) and could use standard Subaru parts.

When I was riding with Steve Gingras at LSPR we borrowed a rear brake caliper from a standard road car WRX for the second day.

alan

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
HA! I was just awful darn glad VT Sportscar HAD a wiper arm to sell me... of course it stopped raining at that point and didn't matter any more... How far is the nearest Subaru parts dept to Copper Harbor?

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You are definitely correct, and I disagree with Glen. There's enough of us out there that are in Open because of small things that would prevent us from being legal for PGT (or group N or don't want to make the investment or BS for N) that run alot of stock parts. We're out there to have fun and know we won't win. Even if you're running an alloy A arm and have an issue, you can swap out for a stamped one and finish the event, for example. If we're running a Subaru with the Subaru stickers, we're promoting the marque and Subaru should be doing SOMETHING for us, current body style or not.

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
Good move on Subaru's part, it would have been just silly for them to keep their cars in for this year.

I'm happy for the parts truck, but I'd love to see a list of what they'll have before Sno*Drift. If we know what they'll have on them we can pack lighter! I also wonder if they'll have specialized tools we can rent or "borrow."

Alex

·
Registered
46 Posts
Big Ups to SUBARU!!!!
This is a very good direction for the sport.
Now I hope misubishi, VW, Dodge, Mazda ect... keep adding/increasing assistance to the competitors needs.
Use the privaters in there marketing and reward good results with mid level support programs.
How about a dodge srt-4 one make class?

Subaru should make shop manual info, part #'s and performance tech bulletins available to racers.
Mazda comp. support was awsome while we rallied the 323GTX.

Thanks Subaru! :7

Eric Eaton

http://franticfour.com/

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
> Mazda comp. support was awsome while we rallied the 323GTX.
>
It still is. Call Mazda Comp. Parts on Thurs. night from Atlanta, MI and have a new gas tank sent to the WinSands hotel by Friday noon and win class on Saturday!

·
Registered
46 Posts
>> Mazda comp. support was awsome while we rallied the 323GTX.
>>
>It still is. Call Mazda Comp. Parts on Thurs. night from
>Atlanta, MI and have a new gas tank sent to the WinSands
>hotel by Friday noon and win class on Saturday!

That's what I'm talkin about, Helping racers make the race.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're out to have fun and don't care if you win, then why not run N or PGT? Probably cheaper, and if you don't care about winning then just run the risk of getting protested out of N.

I have no idea why SOA chose to structure the contingency program that way. Maybe Sue or Garrett at SCCA could provide more color.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've ordered parts from my cell on transits and had them delivered to hotels, usually the biggest hotel in town...whether we were staying there or not. :)

...there was that radiator in Maine...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts