Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wonder if ?tsn-subaru train program? applies only for eastern Canada drivers.

Jerry

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RE: Subaru "Orient Express" only for easterners

What do you mean?
The arrangement is for shipping of rallycars and service vehicles is from Montreal and Toronto to Alberta and back. If you get your car to Toronto or Montreal, then its for you. If you are already out west, then you tow. Its not like teams from Ontario don't have to tow their cars to Baie Des Chaluers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
RE: Subaru "Orient Express" only for easterners

>you. If you are already out west, then you tow. Its not like
>teams from Ontario don't have to tow their cars to Baie Des
>Chaluers.

...and then there's all us western-based competitors wanting to run eastern events. Either we get reciprocity or we're lookin' to the lower 48! :p

But seriously, what a timely and generous offer from one of rallying's biggest boosters in Canada - Subaru of Canada!

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Subaru "Orient Express" only for easterners?

I had on my mind situation where 6 teams from the west would like participate in October Charlevoix.
Yes, Bill is right. Subaru is very generous but? please help me find out if this generous offer apply only for Edson and Rocky Mountain?

Jerry

·
Registered
426 Posts

As far as I could tell from the press releases, this is only for the Bighorn and Rocky. It is ferrying the eastern cars here and back, so you could probably stick your car on the train for the return trip out east, but then you would be without a car for a few months, not to mention finding a place to store it out east..... Maybe if this one time affair proves successful, it will become a more regular occurence and be available for teams wishing to compete at either ends of the country.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you to all.

Now I got it. Hopefully one day Subaru generosity will expend to Western Canada. There is no question that many western teams would like to try one of the eastern events. I think hard work of organizers and rally enthusiast in the west one day will be equally reworded. So far our team must take some other steps in order to move our car to the east (on time!).

http://www.aafce.ca/goingeast.htm

See you all in Alberta!

Jerry

If you folks from the east need some help here, let me know.

:)

·
Registered
803 Posts

get brave and tow it

you can do van -> mtl in a weekend if you want to - I've done it too many times to count by now

fri afternoon, arrive mtl mon morning. If you really want to, it is possible. the eastern guys will help you out with storing, they helped me on my first few trips too

the eastern guys have supported the western events FAR MORE than the western guys supporting the east... since I started only Smith, Komorowski, Olson, Duct tape and myself have ventured esat for more than one or 2 events, never ever at the same time.

·
Registered
409 Posts

Looking through the list of Eastern-based competitors who've come out West it strikes me that anyone seriously bidding for their respective class championship has made the effort (especially those with factory support).

You could say the same thing about those Western-based competitors who've headed East during the same time span: Smith, Richard, Koszegi, Olsen, Komorowski.

Beyond that, there's no half way.

(Forgive me, but this list is mostly from memory.)

Easterners Who Headed West
--------------------------
Big Horn 1999: Latreille, Sprongl, Alcaraz, McGeer, Vincent, Paynter, Tremblay

Rocky 1999: Latreille, Sprongl, Alcaraz, McGeer, Vincent, Paynter, Tremblay

Big Horn 2000: Latreille, Sprongl, Alcaraz, McGeer, Vincent, Tremblay, Scott, Racine, Walkington, Krawcyyk

Rocky 2000: Latreille, Sprongl, Alcaraz, Buffum(!), Vincent, Tremblay, Scott, Racine, Walkington, Krawcyyk

Big Horn 2001: Latreille, McGeer, Paynter, Scott, Walkington, Besner, Erickson, Anderson, Miller, Reilly, McNeil

Rocky 2001: Latreille, McGeer, Paynter, Scott, Walkington, Besner, Erickson, Anderson, Miller, Reilly, McNeil

Interesting to see the list growing in the past two years. I bet this year sets a new record!

Bill

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

And I bet you. More records will be set!!!

A story from my childhood. One of the biggest Polish Rally events was going through my little mountain village in Poland. Every year priest at local church was the first to tell us that ?they are coming? and... they were not angels. They have had a nice cars and? parents. It was fun to watch sons and daughters of members of Communist Party Politburo Members.

There is no question that Rally in North America is getting more and more popular every year. Pat brought us a memory of the past but he also underlines the importance of collaborating and helping each other?s. By doing that we all (East and West) have a chance to bring the WRC event to Canada (and I don?t care to which part of Canada). My sons and me would like to see the angels. Also it would be ?rally? nice to see major sponsor putting a few rally cars in autumn on train to Quebec. I may have an idea and anybody interesting please contact us
[email protected]

Jerry

·
Premium Member
803 Posts

Jerry, (and other westerners)

I suggest you send an email to Terry Epp at CARS with your request (not a complaint about being fair but a *nice* request!). If we had several teams willing to go they may try and do it.

So .... send Terry an email request. And talk to him when he is here in May.

Shawn

Rocky Mountain Rally
http://www.rockymountainrally.com
Calgary, Alberta
May 24-25, 2002

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks Shawn,

I am looking forward to meet Terry and I started working on ?rally? nice letter. I can not complain about anything because I am totally new to this community. So far I have a lt?s of fun. It means that you don?t have to be driver or navigator and still feel a part of the fastest growing sport in North America. If, I would loose the topic or misunderstood something please let me openly know.

Jerry

;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.