Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I actually think Subaru has some of the best brand-wide continuity in its lineup despite the absence of brand managers... what are you willing to bet that changes now x(

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
What does this quote mean? I am slow this morning...

"Finally, its well-received performance car, the high-revving WRX, has been given to Saab by partner General Motors in an attempt to patch up some of the Swedish automaker's U.S. market woes. Saab wins with a new 9-2, maybe, but does Subaru lose? Again, Subaru insiders have shown little faith in a clearly corporate decision. Don't tell the disgruntled, but it's safe to say that it's only a matter of time before Subaru gets a platform from the General Motors whopping chassis family...growing pains indeed."

·
Registered
339 Posts
It means in Detroit terms that Subaru will most likely not be solely developing a new platform when it comes time to replace there current line-up.

They will be "given" a GM platform to baseline everything. Basically the Grand-Am platform. Something like Sigma, Epsilon, etc...whatever GM's platforms are.

As the Saab-whatever, is a reskinned Subaru....the next gen. of Subaru's will be re-skinned GM cars...

That's how it reads to me as I sit here in Detroit.

Brian

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
and importantly no-one is impressed with GMs ability to translate their platforms into brand right vehicles.

wether you like Ford or not at least the have made valiant efforts to keep a Jag a Jag even if the base-line platform is a ford

(I don't think they did as good a job with the first gen Ford-Volvo's but the second gen seem to be better)

In any case, it was painful to me when Subaru first partnered with GM and it could get more painful in the future...

All that said I like the styling of Saab-aru, so maybe there is hope

·
Registered
689 Posts
This may not be all bad , the Holden Manaro (sp) made it to the USA as a Pontiac GTO. Also having worked in America for a Japanese parent company I can tell you genrally the mindset of Japanese execs is such that they don't get the American market. Katayama had problems with the Z car launch and lets face it Soichiro Honda was very un-Japanese in his thought process. So it is no surprise to me that GM would want control of the North American Market. One more fact the Mazda Maita was an American design team project.Long term if rally gets big in USA perhaps GM will pump in dollars as they do with NECK-CAR.

Tom Grossmann

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>
>As the Saab-whatever, is a reskinned Subaru....the next gen.
>of Subaru's will be re-skinned GM cars...

I don't know whether to scream in terror or cry bitter tears.

I was raised on Subies. This really hurts.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Cavalier STi ??!!

Just think of the possibilities....Subaru sharing a GM family platform.

OOh, yeah, I got it....Cavalier STi.

Holey heck, say it ain't so.

Yuck. Blecch. Paa-tooey!

Dave G
bummed

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RE: Cavalier STi ??!!

This is GM we're talking about here. More likely the Subaru Cavalier. It will be introduced with optional "high performance" 80 hp 4 cyl. engine and 4-speed tranny.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

OOh, yeah, I got it....Cavalier STi.

Actually, the Cavalier is badged as a Toyota in Japan

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Subaru Grand Prix

I don't think Subaru would abandon their own lines already established by their use of AWD wagons. If anything I think we'll see more Subaru vehicles being rebadged under GM names and probably a Subaru SUV based off of a GM SUV format. They can't just drop what has gotten them where they are today and if they were to take a Cavalier wagon and put cladding and the word Outback on the back their sales would slump. I think they'll stick to what they know and we'll continue to see vehicles like the Saab 9-2 based on Subaru platforms and see a Subaru full-size SUV based on a GM vehicle. Cheaper than trying to develop one themselves.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

>> or.... A 185HP all wheel drive Geo Metro with meaty fender
>>flares.

I was thinking a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) with a WRX drivetrain...

Adrian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.