Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group

Is a 1993 Subaru Impreza chassis basically the same through 2000? Can you convert a front wheel drive Impreza to an all-wheel drive one? Basically, is the rear floor pan the same in a fwd and awd and can you give a 1993 a facelift?

Thanks

Andrew Sutherland

·
Registered
452 Posts
>>Is a 1993 Subaru Impreza chassis basically the same through 2000?
it's the same through 2001....
i have a 95 FWD and an 01 AWD...

>>Can you convert a front wheel drive Impreza to an all-wheel drive one?
yep and it's been done...
$$$$ but it can be done... and likely will be done again ;)

>>Basically, is the rear floor pan the same in a fwd and awd and can you give a 1993 a facelift>>

certainly you can.. the rear is a bit different in that the gas tank, etc is located in a different area that the awd.. few things will need to be relocated, but as i said it can and has been done...

and yes... the L's can get a face lift...
look at this car:

http://www.subiegal.com/images/RALLIES/Oregon Trail Pro Rally 2002/CRM1.jpg

this is a 1995 Impreza L with an RS wing, grill and bumper...
you would need a new bumper beam, the bumper, new lights, grill and hood... as well as the wing.... but it can be done
with $$$$ you can do just about anything!!!

cheers!
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
Theoretical question along the same lines:

I would like to build a FWD Impreza to race for a few years in CRS stock class. As experience and funds build, I would like to build a CRS Production GT AWD Impreza. Would it be better to_________???

A. Start with FWD Impreza (cheaper). Build for stock class. In future, swap in (with associated headaches) AWD drivetrain.

B. Start with AWD Impreza (more expensive but all AWD parts will fit). Transplant FWD drivetrain and parts needed to run in stock class. When ready for PGT, re-install AWD drivetrain.

C. Build two completely seperate cars. Interchange what parts I could. (Most expensive - Two cars, two cages, etc.)

Thanks. Any and all advice appreciated!

Justin

·
Registered
452 Posts
>I would like to build a FWD Impreza to race for a few years in CRS >stock class. As experience and funds build, I would like to build a >CRS Production GT AWD Impreza. Would it be better to_________???

i see...

you need to decide exactly what you want to do...

me.... i wanted to build a fwd impreza and run in P class.
i did this for a few reasons...

1 - i wanted to be different. not many fwd imprezas rallying ;)

2 - i wanted to start off slower... make sure i knew how to drive a slow car fast before jumping in a faster car...

3 - i could always convert it to awd if i really wanted to... but i see now i would be better off just buying another awd car...

nothing wrong with starting in an awd car if that's your goal...
get out there... and go for it...
but rather than build one, i would look for one ready-built.
much, much cheaper... and much less headaches...
trust me on this! :D

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
how much power do you think could be squeaked out of a ej18? i think it would be a hell of a g2 car. i amguessing that w/high compression water injection cam and head work you could get close to 200 and i believe the 1.8 is a closed deck engine too. just wondering. btw i love how my fwd legacy handles. so you could do alot worse than starting w/a 2wd impreza.
greg

·
Registered
41 Posts
>you need to decide exactly what you want to do...

I guess I should have been clearer in my question. Currently I want to build a FWD Impreza to run in CRS Stock class for 1 to 2 years. Very similar to your existing car Subie Gal. But I want to plan long term and get the car that would be easiest (and cheapest) to convert to AWD in the future.

Besides a gas tank, what other parts are necessary to convert from FWD to AWD. I've done searches on i-club. Would it be easier to convert an AWD car to FWD for a few years, then convert back when the time is right?

BTW, I have owned a pre-build rally car (entered and finished Rim in 1996 -My only race!!!). A lovely 1978 Plymouth Saporro! The timing is now right to buy/build a rally car.

Thanks for the info
Justin

·
Registered
9 Posts
try going to www.spdusa.com. there is a lot of info on swaps, and a snippet about a very powerful ej18.

http://www.spdusa.com/whatto.htm

"There have been very few non-turbo high performance projects at SUBARU JAPAN in the 1986 to 1996 period. For the record they once did up a 210hp EJ18 with four velocity stacks and a bundle of snakes exhaust. They had considered a flat-12 3 liter F1 engine, but that fell by the way side when they realized that the Rally program had more direct bearing on the business at hand: building road cars of a sublime character. " from that same site.

·
Registered
452 Posts
it's a huge project to go from fwd to awd...

crossmember, front and rear brakes are different, suspension, gas tank, etc. etc. etc.

if you want to be "legal" you'd have to change all of that... not just one or two things...

when and if i convert my put-put 1.8 into awd, it will be permanent!! :)

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts