Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
www.christianedstrom.com
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru Announces Participation in Rally America National Championship Series

CHERRY HILL, N.J., January 11, 2005 - Subaru of America, Inc. announced today that it will participate in the 2005 Rally America National Championship series and renew its commitment to the Subaru Rally Support Program for the year. Under the 2005 program, Subaru will continue to focus its support on the efforts of Subaru privateers through increased contingency funds and on-site parts support. Subaru has chosen Vermont Sports Car as its technical partner to manage the administration of all 2005 Subaru Rally Contingency Programs.

"Rally is a cornerstone of the Subaru brand," said Tim Bennett, director of marketing programs, Subaru of America, Inc. "After the transition of the series from the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) to Rally America at the end of 2004, we looked for the best way to not only continue our commitment to the growth of rally in the US, but also enhance our already successful Subaru Rally Support Program."

Within the Subaru Rally Support Program, the company will continue to support Subaru rally entrants by making the Subaru Rally Parts Truck available at each of the eight Rally America National Championship events in 2005. Subaru will also maintain its funding of the club events run in conjunction with Rally America National Championship events. The winner of the 2005 Subaru Championship Cup will earn a cash prize and a VIP trip for two to the Mexico round of the 2006 World Rally Championship.

Additionally in 2005, Subaru will increase program funding for Production GT class by more than 35 percent from last year and offer an expanded line of select genuine Subaru parts for registered Subaru privateers.

Rally enthusiasts will also be pleased that after making his debut into the SCCA ProRally series last year in a Subaru Impreza WRX, Travis Pastrana will enter and compete in seven Rally America National Championship events in a Subaru Impreza WRX prepared and run by Vermont Sports Car and co-supported by Subaru of America, Inc.

About Subaru of America, Inc.
Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes all-wheel drive Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of nearly 600 dealers across the United States. Subaru is the only car company that features Symmetrical All-Wheel drive as standard equipment on every vehicle in its product line. For additional information visit www.subaru.com
Thanks Subaru!

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Full details of the program are up on Vermont SportsCar's website:

WWW.VTCAR.COM

You'll find details on how to register, payouts, and the parts truck.

Main changes for 2005:

- Higher year-end payouts for Group N
> Subaru Group N winner nets $12k plus VIP trip to Mexico WRC for 2!

- Higher per event payouts for PGT

- Event payouts will be given out at the conclusion of the event!

- Revised parts inventory for the Parts Support Truck
> Complete inventory list available shortly to registered competitors only

There will be additional information about the program updated to www.rally.subaru.com shortly.

Questions, comments, feedback? Please call or email Vermont SportsCar.

[email protected]
802-655-3533
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
I think it's great that Subaru has a contingency program. On behalf of the competitors in the PGT and GN classes, thank you Subaru. Is open class forgotten?
Dave
'02 WRX - Open class
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,258 Posts
And STILL no support for LOYAL Subaru entrants that have no choice other than running Open class. It's disappointing. I knew when I got in this game that it was a big money pit and didn't expect much in return. But if the Group N and PGT guys can get something, WHY can't the Open guys atleast get a LITTLE SOMETHING. Yes, I'm getting pissed.

edit for spelling/typo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Subaru wants to support those that run production based classes (yes, that includes GpN). That is their prerogative, and in my opinion, the smart way to spend their money. The program is not new this year, and so should be no surprise.

You could sell your Subie to someone who wants to run PGT, buy a Mitsu, and really enjoy factory support. The person who buys your car can get cheap parts at the support truck and maybe collect a little cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,812 Posts
>And STILL no support for LOYAL Subaru entrants that have no
>choice other than running Open class. It's disappointing. I
>knew when I got in this game that it was a big money pit and
>didn't expect much in return. But if the Group N and PGT guys
>can get something, WHY can't the Open guys atleast get a
>LITTLE SOMETHING. Yes, I'm getting pissed.


You can! Bend over, write a check for $100 grand to buy a fancy car, yell "yippee, Subaru is supporting me with a few parts and a few dollars".... Then you get a little something.

I don't expect the youngsters to understand what real sponsorship is, but you're old enough to remember what real sponsorship was.

Loyalty? You're kidding, right? Values have changed. Loyalty now equals a being a sucker. I didn't change the rules; our corporate society has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
>
>You can! Bend over, write a check for $100 grand to buy a
>fancy car, yell "yippee, Subaru is supporting me with a few
>parts and a few dollars".... Then you get a little
>something.
>
>I don't expect the youngsters to understand what real
>sponsorship is, but you're old enough to remember what real
>sponsorship was.
>
>Loyalty? You're kidding, right? Values have changed.
>Loyalty now equals a being a sucker. I didn't change the
>rules; our corporate society has.
>


You do have a point ..... Corporate america only dishes out big dollars in other forms of motorsport.... Rally sadly gets none of it :( You pay about 60-90k for a group N car ... cost about 6k-15k to run it per event.... and you can win 12k? Subaru of America could easily put out more money... Just think about how much they are spending on their drag racing program...

The problem is supply and demand..... You could buy almost any of the top us rally teams for 5k per event "as a primary sponsor" .... which is not alot of money compared to other forms of motorsport...

I am still glad that subaru is stepping up to the plate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
>
>You do have a point ..... Corporate america only dishes out
>big dollars in other forms of motorsport.... Rally sadly gets
>none of it :( You pay about 60-90k for a group N car ...
>cost about 6k-15k to run it per event.... and you can win 12k?
>Subaru of America could easily put out more money... Just
>think about how much they are spending on their drag racing
>program...

I didn't want to get started on the Drag Racing debacle, but you made me. S.O.A and SPT have dumped $2,500,000 into that 3 ring circus called Easy Street. I had the misfortune of having to do some car shows with ESX last year and I couldn't believe what a piece of S*^% that car and team was. I have to hand it to Ali, he has marketed that team to Subaru with smoke and mirrors and is now getting all the money. The trick is to haul your junk from dealership to dealership in a large semi and have some Asian guy mixing Rap music for a bunch of teen-age street racers and maybe you can get S.O.A to take you seriously as a racer and marketing gold mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
>I didn't want to get started on the Drag Racing debacle, but
>you made me. S.O.A and SPT have dumped $2,500,000 into that 3
>ring circus called Easy Street. I had the misfortune of
>having to do some car shows with ESX last year and I couldn't
>believe what a piece of S*^% that car and team was. I have to
>hand it to Ali, he has marketed that team to Subaru with smoke
>and mirrors and is now getting all the money. The trick is to
>haul your junk from dealership to dealership in a large semi
>and have some Asian guy mixing Rap music for a bunch of
>teen-age street racers and maybe you can get S.O.A to take you
>seriously as a racer and marketing gold mine.

Bitter are we?

Well it seems he puts the effort and time into it, traveling to many events ( I saw the car at Rim, Pikes Peak, SEMA, and the Detroit Auto show), it must be a full time job. Subaru certainly gets the media attention (the car is always in magazines) and marketing value it wants from it, so he deserves the money.
If you want the sponsorship money you have to be willing to put in the effort and play the game.

BTW I have heard that the ESX truck was involved in an accident last month, it skidded on some ice and the truck and the race car were destroyed and the driver of the truck was killed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,757 Posts
>....... Subaru
>certainly gets the media attention (the car is always in
>magazines) and marketing value it wants from it, so he
>deserves the money.
>If you want the sponsorship money you have to be willing to
>put in the effort and play the game.
>

Morgan has it right; sponsoship is all about advertising, sales and exposure. If you give the sponsor their money's worth in sales and exposure, you've done your job. Very, very, very few of us in US rally understand how to do that. I don't care to, but have to hand it to those who do.

Mark B.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Sticking with the topic of rally exposure, the fact is that Group N doesn't help Subaru of America sell cars any better than Open class would. Group N simply does not do anything special from a marketing perspective for Subaru of America. Somebody fooled SOA into thinking that Group N provides superior exposure (relative to Open class) but it does not. My undergrad was in marketing and my masters was in finance and I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I only have 17 years of business experience.
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
>Sticking with the topic of rally exposure, the fact is that
>Group N doesn't help Subaru of America sell cars any better
>than Open class would. Group N simply does not do anything
>special from a marketing perspective for Subaru of America.
>Somebody fooled SOA into thinking that Group N provides
>superior exposure (relative to Open class) but it does not.
>My undergrad was in marketing and my masters was in finance
>and I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I only have 17
>years of business experience.
>Dave


I believe it is because when they started the contingency it was when they were running factory cars and it did not make sense to offer money to people to beat their own cars.
Additionally, it is my understanding that there may be some sort of liability to provide support to products that are outside there product range, that is why the parts truck only has US homologated parts that fit into Group N.
And perhaps Mark and Rogers accident had something to do with it as well
I may be wrong though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
>
>I am sure the teams travel costs to all those events were paid
>by the sponsor...The drag team will not spend 2million just on
>building and racing the car ... probally a good portion is
>spent on going to events and marketing the program...


Of course, but it still involves a lot of work and time to prepare the equipment and do the traveling. for the amount of events ESX has been in the past year, I imagine there is not much time for a day job (though isn't Ali an actor or something?)


>I dont think wrx424 is bitter...Just mad about subarus marketing
>decisions...

It sounds to me like he does not like drag racing and he is jealous, no harm in that, me too :)


Subaru USA is horrible at marketing its
>performance models "I worked for subaru in sales&marketing for
>2 years" They never use Rally in any of their marketing
>campaigns "even wrc" ....

really? How did they ever sell all those WRX's? When the WRX came out there was two different TV commercials that had rally, one with the WRC and one with the footage of Tom McGeer. the current commercial shows a little rally car. When ever there is a rally on TV there is Subaru ad after Subaru ad ( BTW I saw a year in review WRC show while in Japan and it was Subaru ad after Subaru ad too LOL)
And every time I go to a dealer there is big banners/ fabric posters, etc. with WRC cars.

Drag racing is the wrong demographic
>for subaru ... You dont want to attract a bunch of kids that
>cant afford the car "video games already market to them"....
>or people killing trannys drag racing"which subaru will eat
>under warranty"


I agree, but you spend time on NASIOC, you should know, half the people on there are most concerned with how fast their WRX will do a 1/4 mile. I never understood that, the car is so not for drag racing

Perhaps it is because Drag racing is easy to get into, you don't even need to prep the car


...It has lack of tv coverage just like
>rally...

ESX is marketing for Subaru through car show, internet and magazine exposure, and that is why they are providing a good value without TV
I believe that as it stands now for US rally your marketing potential is higher outside the rally than during the rally. There is more impressions on your team during your tow across the country than at the rally (if you don't get on TV) that is why you have to make the effort to have the fancy rig and go to all the shows, etc which is an even bigger time suck than the rallies, so you have to really want it bad. Remember what your mom told you: It is not whether you win or lose but how you play the game :p

I dont understand why Subaru US wont fund a bigger
>purse in US rally

Because it is not worth much more than that yet, and I'd bet they'd prefer to have another factory team where they can control the marketing and the image of the team


or advertise it. Thats not the job of the
>teams not being funded by subaru....

they do advertise it, there is a subaru rally website that is linked from the Subaru home page.
Actually, the advertising would be the job of the event/series promoter (RA/M360 in this case) to advertise the rallies

If they can spend
>2,500,000 dollars on a drag program they can at least put more
>then 12k for a prize fund...

Well they did when they had their team, they put more than 2.5 mil. and again, ESX is working hard to get the exposure to deserve the money
 

·
Media Dude
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
>>Sticking with the topic of rally exposure, the fact is that
>>Group N doesn't help Subaru of America sell cars any better
>>than Open class would. Group N simply does not do anything
>>special from a marketing perspective for Subaru of America.
>>Somebody fooled SOA into thinking that Group N provides
>>superior exposure (relative to Open class) but it does not.
>>My undergrad was in marketing and my masters was in finance
>>and I just don't get it. Maybe it's because I only have 17
>>years of business experience.
>>Dave
>
>
>I believe it is because when they started the contingency it
>was when they were running factory cars and it did not make
>sense to offer money to people to beat their own cars.
>Additionally, it is my understanding that there may be some
>sort of liability to provide support to products that are
>outside there product range, that is why the parts truck only
>has US homologated parts that fit into Group N.
>And perhaps Mark and Rogers accident had something to do with
>it as well
>I may be wrong though

i have no opinion on any of this and the plans for 2005, but i always though the reason Gr.N gets more support, along with production, is the fact that, the cars are usually "closer" to the cars the average person could pick up in the showroom, and therefore are a better showcase of what the car is like if you were to go pick one up from your local dealer, rather than some 500hp monster machine that would be alot harder to match from a stock car. maybe i am off on this, but i thought that was sorta the reason for the support behind the more production based vehichles.

if i am wrong, please do correct me, as i am still pretty new to this, but that is just what i thought was sorta the idea behind it :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
>
>ESX is marketing for Subaru through car show, internet and
>magazine exposure, and that is why they are providing a good
>value without TV
>I believe that as it stands now for US rally your marketing
>potential is higher outside the rally than during the rally.
>There is more impressions on your team during your tow across
>the country than at the rally (if you don't get on TV) that is
>why you have to make the effort to have the fancy rig and go
>to all the shows, etc which is an even bigger time suck than
>the rallies, so you have to really want it bad. Remember what
>your mom told you: It is not whether you win or lose but how
>you play the game :p

Thats all common practice with most motorsports teams with high budgets....I would think that sponsoring a subaru cup - with a purse of 400k .... tow fund for all new GN cars.. Making the teams go to autoshows ...With each team having subaru all over would be a better way to advertise ... basically a better bang for the buck. They do it in nascar and it works

Morgan you going to rally mexico? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
          


>stoping my debate .... dont want to ruffle any feathers>

Meh, your no fun :p

>Thats all common practice with most motorsports teams with
>high budgets....I would think that sponsoring a subaru cup -
>with a purse of 400k .... tow fund for all new GN cars..
>Making the teams go to autoshows ...With each team having
>subaru all over would be a better way to advertise ...
>basically a better bang for the buck. They do it in nascar and
>it works

in NASCAR it is all full time professional teams that accept the time responsibilities to the sport
Here, most people can't take the time off from work to do the autoshows. Especially for the possibility, not guarantee, of winning that money.

Note that Subaru is also sponsoring Travis Pastrana this year

>Morgan you going to rally mexico? :D

I hope so, don't know yet for sure
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top