Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in one of our off road excursions last weekend (the one with right side panel damage), all the side glass on my side shattered (the windscreen was just fine). Glass flew everywhere (even found some in my underwear when I got back to the motel). My footwell and seat were REALLY crunchy. Some of the glass bounced off my glasses and put enough deep gouges in them that I went and ordered new lenses this morning. I wear a full face helmet (no balaclava this weekend). Now, in 30 years, I have had a LOT of, um, incidents (even rolled on the first stage of my first rally) but this is the first time that I have never trashed my glasses.

So, the questions:
- anyone had this before?
- why did my glasses get hammered, but I had no cuts on my face?
- aside from plastic windows (and/or having a face shield on my helmet and having it down), is there any prevent for next time.

Observation:
- Probably a good thing that I wear glasses (although I may have had my eyes closed when the glass was flying - parts of that are fuzzy, and NO, I did not hit my head).

Thoughts, comments anyone?

press on (we certainly did),

·
Registered
415 Posts
Jimmy-

My only true fear as a co-driver is to have a solid chunk of Lexon glass pushed out of the door frame and into me. The idea of glass that shatters is way more comforting thought to me then taking one big peice of plastic to the face/body. There ain't much room in there, so anything that can shatter and find little places to go is good by me.

Personally, what you went through this weekend was the better way to go.

As to full face helmets vs. open, well that is like having the 2 layer vs. 3 layer suit discussion.

My simple solution, get a sunglass sponsor... :)

Jeff Burmeister
SpecialStage.com
The North American Rally Resource
http://www.SpecialStage.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had a similar experience. On my first DNF, we slid hard into a tree on the drivers side (MY side...that's not right!), and glass flew everywhere. Unlike you, we did break the windsheild (and the tree).

I noticed that I had a relatively small gouge on my glasses from the window glass; not enough to purchase new glasses for.

Seemed kind of strange at the time, but watching the in-car video and how fast things happened, I realized that (a) the glass was moving insanely fast relative to the car/me, and (b) even though they call it "safety glass", it still has plenty of sharp edges. Unlike you, I did end up with a cut on my face, the blood of which I'm sure frieghtened the next car along, despite me holding the 'OK' sign while waving them on.

After that I solved the problem by only crashing on the co-drivers side. I realize this is a bit out of the question for you, as you are a co-driver, but it worked for me.

Jon

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Now do you see why I have the front windows tinted in my cars ???

What happened to you is rather unusual, look at it as a freak accident, try not to develop glassophobia and stop blaming yourself, it was not your fault.:p :p :p

Cheers
M.samli

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had the same kind of thing happen with Chris and I with a little bit different outcome. We rolled at the flying finish of SS 13, Chris ditched hooked the and caught a stump which rolled my side down first. Side windows blew out right away and when all was over we landed on all fours pointed the other direction with me losing the notes out the window while bumping my funny bone on the door panel when landing. Seeing the finish sign next to the left front corner of the car I shouted to start it up and lets go!!

Two questions came to my mind after the fact:

-It was the first time I had been in a roll since I started wearing glasses, how did they stay on even with an open face Peltor?
No cuts by the way

-With us rolling and twisting in the air at the finish, when does the light get tripped, did we get a slower finish because we landed in the plane of the beam??

After getting the route book and time card back we continued back to regroup where we installed a window net lent to us and then went on to finish the Rally. We managed to get to service in time but were shuffeleed back in the order and had to deal with major dust issues and the fact we had no right side windows. A couple of teams let us forward at the start and we did pass one car on stage, yet stage 15 we were caught behind a much slower RX7 who couldn't see us because of the dust and we lost almost 2 minutes and nearly had to stop several time because we couldn't see.

This was only the 5th Rally Chris has entered and his first entry into ProRALLY ranks, after everything was over we lost out on a 3rd place finish by only 28 seconds to a much more experianced driver. I would say that after eating dirt, rolling, a spin, etc, the weekend was a success.

David Hackett
Reno, NV
:7 :7 :7

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
We blew most of the glass out of the car when we rolled. I had my eyes open, and none got in. There was lots on the driving suit, and I think Kim had a small cut on his hand. Afterwards it wasn't the broken glass that concerned my but the possibility of something coming in or going out the broken window. I habitually pull my arms in when it all goes to hell, but Kim's side of the car has sharpie all over it where his arms flailed a bit. We subsequently had an interesting discussion with Doug Robinson regarding window nets.

When it's all said and done I think broken glass is the least of your worries. If you've done something to break the glass, you probably have bigger issues. If you are still worried about glass, wear eye glasses or put protective anti-shatter film on the windows.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
When Ross and I rolled the car at Ramada in 2002, we busted out most of the glass. My A-pillar (but not the cage) collapsed a bit and deformed my door window frame and the glass shattered as did my rear side window. Without even thinking about it, I dropped my left hand (the only holding the spine of the notes book) down to my lap. My right was apparently flailing around with no control.

After the roll, I had a bunch of little cuts from broken glass all over both hands. No injuries to my face. (For the record, I wear glasses, full-face helmet with balaclava. The balaclava face opening is down at my chin or up over my nose, depending on the dust level.)

My worst injury was to the palm of my hand. In its flailing, it got sliced on the lower window net bracket on the door.

alan

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Perhaps this might help?
>
>FIA rules
>http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/rallyregs.html
>open article 253 Safety Equipment (Rallies, Off-Road)
>
>Windows/nets section
>If silvered or tinted films are not used or if the side
>windows are not made from laminated glass, the use of
>transparent and colorless anti-shatter films on the side
>windows is mandatory.

I like that.

alan

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi Jimmy,

I read a lot of comments on no one ever having glass in the eyes, and have to observe that it's just good luck..... so far, so good. The films and Lexan are the only solutions I know of; seems like the films are best put on the inside, to keep the glass slivers and bits outside.

I can't imagine NOT wanting Lexan for this reason. But the exit concern is real.

Glad you're OK! Interesting observations.

Mark Bowers

·
The Scorpion King
679 Posts
I am definately going to get some anti-shatter film for the windows in my car. When I rolled the car at Prescott, I was wearing a full face helmet and glasses, but still managed to get a piece of something (either dirt or glass) in my eye. I did look into laminated glass for my car, but M-Sport's prices are a little out of my range.:(

--
John

·
Registered
51 Posts
-It was the first time I had been in a roll since I started wearing glasses, how did they stay on even with an open face Peltor?
No cuts by the way

Glad you didn't have any cuts. As for the glasses staying on your face, I've noticed in the 7 years I've been wearing glasses that they stay on my head, typically without moving, even when I'm doing handstands -- which isn't that often, but I digress. The rubber nose pads help keep my pair from sliding anywhere, and slightly grip my nose (not uncomfortably so). Further, when wearing a helmet, I noticed that the helmet sort of squeezes the glasses between the side of my head and the padding of the helmet, which I'm sure helps. I have a full-face helmet, but my former co-driver (Kevin Poirier) has an open face helmet, and wears glasses. As far as I remember he's never lost his glasses, and I've really tried to make 'em fall off, too.

-With us rolling and twisting in the air at the finish, when does the light get tripped, did we get a slower finish because we landed in the plane of the beam??

My understanding of the lights is that once the beam is broken (something comes between the sending side and the receiving side) the clock is triggered, and that's your time. The beam is typically relatively narrow, so it's possible that you could fly over it during your automotive aerobatics, but most likely you didn't fly that high. Thus, whenever you broke the beam is when your time was recorded. You say you landed in the plane of the beam, so I'm guessing that when you landed the clock was triggered, and that became your stage time.

Way to finish a stage, by the way. Had to be entertaining to watch, but only because you guys made it through okay, and continued on your way.

Jon

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow.
I worked finish controls at LSPR the last two years and never saw anything cool like that!

I'm thinking after reading this that tint might be a good safety/comfort feature. Do they make really light tint for the front windows, I don't like the feeling of darkness on my left/right when I'm driving.

Jay
92 Eclipse G5

1 - 16 of 16 Posts