Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick list of things seen or overheard at the event that weren't posted anywhere else:

***Seamus Burke was running in Peter Workum's Gr. N WRX as Seamus had blown the engine of his TAD Evo 6.5 on Thursday's practice stage. I'd heard that Workum was not able to attend due to last minute work commitments so the ride was open. Seamus did a shake-down run for David Higgins in the AV Sport Open-class WRX last fall at a west coast ClubRally event. Talk about lucky paybacks!

***Rhys Millen and Mark Nelson were both VERY airborn at the infamous Chad's yump (named after Chad DiMarco who mangled his front suspension there back in 1990)and both retired shortly thereafter. According to Steve Neilsen, who saw Millen's accident, he lost control of the car after losing the rear strut at the yump in his Evo 7 and just after the 90 left after the spectator area drove into a culvert which nosed the car over. Rhys will be in the Evo 6.5 at Wild west as repairs sound extensive. Charles Bradley said that the fan went into the radiator just after the yump ending Mark Nelson's run.
Mark had the biggest air at the yump by far.

***Pablo Sanfrancisco put his Gr. 2 GTI on its driver's side door on SS4 at the 90 right after the double-yumps. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to my normal photo spot and he was a little bummed out that no one was there to roll him over while he was still stapped in. He and co-driver Dave Shindle lost about three minutes righting the car. Damage was not apparent. His times were on par with both O'Sullivan and Neilsen this time out and looked quick.

***Bob Olsen drove into the ditch at the spectator point on SS4 and lost a big chuck of his rear bumper. He was flying at the event!!! It sure doesn't look like the old Dennis Chizma Prod car, but it is. Just alot of newer bodywork according to Doug Davenport who did the car prep.

***I was shooting at SS6 at the start when the rain was still a light sprinkle. After shooting pics of Lovell, Miggins, and Diggins I walked back to the start to take a few launch shots. About 30 seconds before Ramana left the line the coutdown clock froze from getting soaked and he left the line on his own. A spare clock was acquired fortunately before Doug Havir (the next car in line) took off. The skies absolutely opened up about then with monsoon force. I bailed and went home. Jeff Becker told me that Thumper lost alot of time on that stage. Lon Peterson told me that he could only see just in front of the hood during that stage and that his wipers quit on the next. His tires were old and cupped as well and lost a bunch of time sliding around. ((See www.subaru.net for info on his teammates woes.)) He and navigator Ben Bradley were able to navigate the stage by looking at passing shrubs out of the windows. On the drive back to the hotel the skies looked like the beginning of a Jerry Bruckheimer film... heavy lightning in the clouds with lightning stikes all over in the distance. Freakin' cool!!!

***Jason Rivas put his WRX into a ditch just after the finish of stage 1 on Saturday. The car looked okay on the trailer on my way home today.

***Ramana Lagemann was driving like a man possessed on day 2! Alex "Rally Brat" Kihurani and myself got shots of him doing an incredible ditch-hook on SS2 Saturday. Note: I'll hopefully have my shots up on Wednesday if not sooner. Alex got a load of good video clips as well.

***The crossroads yump was spectacular for the local crowd. The big names took it easy as the pace-notes apparently didn't jive with what was there according to a competitor that has done that intersection many times. Folks from Cental Div. were the big yumpers. Havir, Gingras (who broke at the end of that stage), Utecht, and Martin were the best of the national competitors. The biggest yump came from 17 year old Tyler Dill driving his dad's car in his first rally. The ex-Mike Hurst RX-7 was high enough for everyone to get a good view of the skidplate. Amazingly the car sustained no damage after a solid landind and made it to the finish of the Club rally.

***Jon Hamilton and Shane Mitchell retired both retired about 1/4 after the yump and walked back to the spectator area. Jon hit a BIG rock that went between a front wheel and skidplate snapping an axle. Shane Mitchell told me what the problem was with his car as I drove him back to service but I can't recall what it was (I'm thinking it was a diff). Again he was putting in one hell of a run after winning
first overall in the Friday night ClubRally.

***The ranch was brutal but the photos will be excellent!!! Paul Ecklund broke during the second running and Randy Zimmer showed me his in-car video of his avoidance of the dead-car and his big yump that followed. He DNF'ed also just after that as his diff came apart in a big way from the jump.

All in all a fun event as always. Thanks a bunch to Bruce and Beryl Ann for all your hard work as chairpersons over the many years. If you need free promo shots for next years event you know where to find me.

Jerry Winker
ComicOzzie Rallysport Photography

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops.... forgot to mention that Carl Redner was back in action in his well-aged Mitsubishi Eclipse. The car was originally built and campaigned in IMSA Firestone Firehawk in 1990 prior to it being purchased by Carl Merrill and being rallied for two years successfully. Henry Joy purchased the car in 1993 and rallied it for 2-1/2 years and logged even more wins. Redner purchased the car in 1995 and the car was destroyed heavily at Magnum Opus ClubRally in 1996. Two years ago the car was resurrected as course opening car at Sno*Drift, but had not officially competed in a Pro Rally since 1995. The car finished Ojibwe this year in fine form.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa")> Thanks for the update mate, but you are allowed to mention that the Club rally was in fact Treeline, which is taking place on 20/21 Sep.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Also...a couple corrections from the Ojibwe press notes:

It stated that the MAZDASPEED Protege struck a rock that destroyed a wheel and axle. In actuality, we struck nothing. We were the victim of defective Raceline RL-7 wheels. The wheel just broke at a spoke and eventually worked its way around the rim. We have since discovered stress fractures in all the spokes of more of the wheels and will be scrambling to get new ones machined (not Racelines) before Wild West.

The wheel came apart 200 yds from the finish of 1. Of course, at that distance, we tried to continue, but a hundred feet later the driveaxle snapped. Such is rallying.

The press notes also indicated that we lost all mathematical chances for a year end podium. I thought a podium position was a top three position. We will still take second in the Group 2 and likely in 2wd overall (Woodner Cup).

Lurch
MAZDASPEED Rally Team/Burmeister Rallysport

·
Registered
868 Posts
So even though we had 3 minutes of road penalties we still get the Mazda money. Lurch, that's not the way we wanted to win it!
See you at Wild West.
Dave

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Congrats on the Mazda money! You earned it.

BTW, since we weren't running on sat., we saw you running at the spectator area and ranch. That RX7 looks like it hauls!

Lurch

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Hey!!!

I thought you liked the StudBug's crossroads air. I haven't lifted for that one yet thanks to EM's description of it as the original RAS RallyeTruck approached in 1999! This year was more of the same except I had a little better velocity coming out of the twisty bits thanks to the stage notes.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
924 Posts
RE: Hey!!!

I can personaly atest that that car with DMS flys and lands sweet, our "launch" at Cherokee in '01 was proof enough for me.
JTree
Mad Mike navvie #12 (i think)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Actually regarding Randy Zimmer and I, until he takes it apart, I think
all that initially happened is that we cracked the transmission casing.

We were losing fluid like mad just after the 2nd SS and elected
to try and limp through the last 30 miles. We made it about 7 of the
10 on the transit and the gearbox locked up and exploded.

Ed

·
Registered
222 Posts
Testing wheels

"We have since discovered stress fractures in all the spokes of more of the wheels"

How do you check them? Visually? X-ray?

I'm starting to wonder if ANY of the British wheel companies have quality control anymore... :(

·
3,979 Posts
>Actually regarding Randy Zimmer and I, until he takes it
>apart, I think all that initially happened is that we cracked the
>transmission casing.
>
>We were losing fluid like mad just after the 2nd SS and
>elected to try and limp through the last 30 miles. We made it about
>7 of the 10 on the transit and the gearbox locked up and exploded.
>
>Ed

Hmmm. In another post he said the CowPatty SSS broke his car.

Hmmm.

Halley ...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
D'OH! I left my video camera in the RallySport van, so the videos won't be up for a while, but Lagemann and Choiniere were FLYING. I enjoy annoying Lagemann with my video at every service area, but I think he actually liked this one ;) Choiniere was totally psyched with his clip, but he was the whole time at the banquet. I can sincerely say I've never seen someone that happy in my life. Very cool...

Rivas said he came into the last corner, a 3L- off camber and forgot about the off-camber and went 10 feet into a ditch before bumping a tree. Anyway, Ole is here, say something! heh..

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
RE: Testing wheels

Just (carefully) visually inspected them all today. Out of the eight I bought, 1 is broken, 6 more have visual cracks in the spokes and the last one has a damaged lip thanks to a rock at Maine. I have a nice pile of scrap aluminum here. Because of the special offset and centerbore, it is unlikely I will get new ones machined from any company before Wild West. May be using stock rims from one car or another...or may not be going.

I'll keep you posted.

Lurch
Burmeister Rallysport

·
Registered
163 Posts
RE: Testing wheels

Eric, contact Tom at Revolution. Less than three weeks is not much time but he does have the ability to get wheels unbelievably fast sometimes and the wheels seem to be very nicely built and reasonably priced. I run them but have limited experiance on them so far.

Bradney A. Boli
Over Exposure Racing
Honda Accord #311

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jeeezus Alex will you get your act together?!

Seriously though, I can't wait to see the clips as you always capture some great moments...

Ramana

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
the stage numbering at OFPR is a little confusing with day one and then day two starting at one again THEN the results going in stage order over the two days.
Ed meant sss2 (cow patty2) and was technically correct if you know what he thought he said.
[got that?]
rz

·
3,979 Posts
>the stage numbering at OFPR is a little confusing with day
>one and then day two starting at one again THEN the results
>going in stage order over the two days.
>Ed meant sss2 (cow patty2) and was technically correct if
>you know what he thought he said.
>[got that?]
>rz

OMG!!! "technically correct if you know what he thought he said."

Man, I don't even want to try to figure that one out! :7

Halley ...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Alex's video camera

RallySport kidnapped Alex's camera, the camera and its content (great video coverage) is available to the highest bidder.

- Sumit (driver of the RallySport van) Panjabi

1 - 20 of 25 Posts