Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that it's currently around 0F here in Michigan the lakes/ponds are freezing nicely......

Hopefully there will be some Auto-X style ice racing this year.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has a source for studded tires. These won't be driven on the street at all (trailered to location, unloaded, raced, reloaded) so let me know if anyone has any contacts.

I know ice racing seems big in Quebec.

My biggest concern is a tire that doesn't rub the fender wells and DOESN'T kick out studs.....so I'm not interested in just screwing in some sheet metal screws and "hoping" that the studs stay in place.

The course's will be wide and fast so we'll be stressing the studs and there retention method pretty good.

Brian

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
Hakkas!: RE: Studded Ice Tires?

Nokian Hakka 2s come studded from the factory; Hakka 1s can be studded.

Pat Greer in WI or board member Andy Smith (MaximumAttack) should be able to get them.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Well, there are a whole bunch of guys down east in Maine using the waaaay nice Finnish Black Rocket Rally snow tires. i set this up for those guys cause I had several guys doing the stud/screw tire classes and thought we could try the tires and delivery out. So far in the last two seasons around 160 tires have been brought over and as of end of last season I was told there has been 1 or 2 tires die but the guys do make contact sometimes and counld very well be crash related.

It is reported that even with high hp 2wd cars the studs, which are approx 8-10mm stickout, and chisel shaped, have stayed in place with just a couple total being spat out. Not surprising sing the studs are glued in anf then the tires go back into the oven for some more vulcanising.

All popular sizes available, and since I have gotten a inquirey from a fellow in Colorado also, if you want to talk or want a photo of the types and sizes write me at [email protected] .

This is the time we should be ordering if we don't want to airfreight them in.

And should also be talking about NEXT seasons summer tires.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
RE: Hakkas!: RE: Studded Ice Tires?

Are Hakka 2s available in North America? Nokian North America claims that they are not.

Anyway, I second the recommendation to contact Andrew Smith (maximumattack).

Most of the tire dealers down here in the US sell Hakka 1s with studs and they are available at many of the big tire dealers here in the Seattle area (Les Schwab, Discount). I could not get tires through the dealers listed on the Nokian North America web site.

alan

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't rush in buying tires from Seattle area businesses.
Keep in mind that Yokohama is behind the Rally in Canada.
Let support these who keep the rally in Canada.

Jerry

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Yokohamas

>Don't rush in buying tires from Seattle area businesses.
>Keep in mind that Yokohama is behind the Rally in Canada.
>Let support these who keep the rally in Canada.

I buy Yokos for my street cars just for that very reason.
Canadian rallyteams which deal Yokohama tire dealers and will ship or deliver and mount at events are
Jon Nichols Motorsport ([email protected] or 514-895-3484)
and
Lachute Subaru contact Julien Pilon 1-877-568-3121 www.lachutesubaru.com
and
Four Star Motorsport

·
Registered
789 Posts
John Menard (the IRL team owner and chain store owner) sells real Ice racing tires out of his store's headquarters in Wisconsin (I believe).

These are expensive, but are the tire of choice of Ice Racers.

He has been selling them for years in two styles.

They work!!

(Did I say they were expensive?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at a store this week on the South Shore of the Montreal area that sells Hakka 1, Hakka 2 studded and Hakka Q. They can also have the Hakka 1 studded by Nokian.

It's called FCP, tel: (450)632-9100 or (514)861-2051.

Vince

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you buy the tires you need the wheels. I found that many guys is buying Compomotive. I found the OZ and Speedline 40% cheaper than Compomotive.

jerry

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>John Menard (the IRL team owner and chain store owner) sells
>real Ice racing tires out of his store's headquarters in
>Wisconsin (I believe).
>
>These are expensive, but are the tire of choice of Ice
>Racers.
>
>He has been selling them for years in two styles.
>
>They work!!
>
>(Did I say they were expensive?)
Joe G, it was in fact the lousy lifespan and high cost of Menards (too soft, and studs not glued in and they spit out, poor size choices) which led the guys in Maine top ask me to help them out and get these REAL tires.
I didn't think I should mention that because I didn't think it would be nice to rag on a specific brand, and the guy did ask for ice racing tires, and these Rally studded tires has met their needs in every respect perfectly.

As for buying street tires with studs do what you wish, supporty whoever you like.

Jerzy or Jerry what's your problem? If the guy wants to discuss real rally tires with real studs for less money than any other real tires, do you think he can make the decision with YOU saying something "don't
rush in buying tires from Seattle area busineses."
Importing things is a pain in the assss and I wouldn't do it if there was not a need for better products at better prices, prices any club level person can afford.

You have a problem with me call me at 206 431 9696 and tell me what the problem is.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
296 Posts
John,

As you see in other posts the problem are tires and studs. We are trying to find out more where we can get them or if we ALL should be allowed to compete having them.
I have NO problem with you John or Jon. Give me a call if you have a question

Petersburg 111777-555-382 ;-)

Jerry, Jerzy or Jurek whatever you like.

p.s.

Keep in mind that we are 10 hours ahead:p

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have some info on the Black Rocket tires posted at:
http://www.11tenths.com/products.HTML

I have talked to several people who have used the Black Rocket winter tires for ice racing and have only gotten good feed back. The same holds true for the gravel rally tires.

Any way I have some gravel tires here now and I will be trying them out to see if they are as good as all the drivers in Finland I have talked to say. I hope the photos are helpful.

Derek

1 - 12 of 12 Posts