Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in the market for some 15" studded ice racing tires this fall. Not street studs, but something like Menards. I understand that Menards are no longer made. Is there anything similar available? Or will I have to make my own with rally tires, bolts, stover nuts, and a snowmobile stud sharpener like Jeremy did?

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will be in the market for some 15" studded ice racing tires this fall. Not street studs, but something like Menards. I understand that Menards are no longer made. Is there anything similar available? Or will I have to make my own with rally tires, bolts, stover nuts, and a snowmobile stud sharpener like Jeremy did?

Thanks for any information.
Hey Eric,

Mark Tabor told me that he could special order the Silverstone tires in!

I have some 16" Pirelli studded tires mounted on Gen3 RX7 5 bolt space saver wheels. The 16" ice tire are the same height as 15" gravel tires.

I have also ran hand studded 15" C5's on 2nd Gen. RX7 4 bolt space saver wheels on my street GTX.

Bob C.

·
Cheddarwagen Pilot
1,805 Posts
Can't help on sourcing store-bought tires, but from what I've seen in WI the last two years, homemade studs provide quite a bit more traction over Menards or winter rally tires.

Bolts are best for snowy conditions, drywall screws kick butt on smooth, clean ice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Eric - Try searching on Challenge Sur Glace... it is an ice race in Sherbrooke that was handing out Ice tires for the mini-spares on subies as part of the entry fee. I know a few folks - LDR and Zimmer - went up for a few years. Emilo sold his tires last year so I can't get him to look at them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ice challenge tires are in 16 inch,,, how manny tire you need and in what shape you nedd it,, i got many of those( ice contact ,conti)

·
www.G-Rally.com
332 Posts
We took 4 doughnuts 16 inch spare tires, drilled holes and put bolts with nuts thu them.

Worked amazing on STI until we started to loose bolts. Even with 1/2 washers it was ripping them out. Also got flats due to washers pinching the tube.

Traction was very good. This was a lot of work but FUN.

Here's my vid -----> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6546275500239323684&hl=en

TIP: use nylon nuts
Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for kicking up an 8 year old thread, but my google-fu can't seem to find anyone else that turned a spare dougnut tire into an ice tire. Still have the video of the build? I'm just looking to have some fun in my suby for the SVR SCCA ice runs next year.

·
Cheddarwagen Pilot
1,805 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I already hit over 80MPH in my Subaru (100+ according to the speedo! :cool: ), so hydroplaning on the snow is of concern. This is why I was specifically thinking of the doughnut spare, being that it's so narrow, it's less likely to hydroplane.

I found a lot of info on doing this on motorcycle and mountain bike tires. Sidewall stiffness of the spare is my main concern, of course, which is why I was hoping Greg555 had some more insight on how that went with the doughnut spare specifically.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts