Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Where can I see Quebec and Calgary 2wd series stud & tire rules?

- I'm going to Rally Finland next week and all top Finnish tire designers and makers are there. They may have something that fits; Reasonable prised, fast and durable studded rally tires for Canadians!

PS. I like what you're doing - studded tires are way to go! It ain't racing w/o traction....

·
Registered
730 Posts
The RSQ rule is DOT snow tires, studded as per the manufacturer's specification. Initially, they had a spec tire (Hakka 1's), but that has been opened up. Glueing or modifying the studs is prohibited.

The rule for western canada is:

2.1.3.6 Tire Studs
Studded tires may be used on Rally West events with the following limitations:
a) Studs are only allowed on events outside of Manitoba that take place from Oct 1 to Apr 30th of the following year
b) Studs are only allowed on stand-alone regional events, not on National / Regional combined events.
c) Studs must protrude no more than 3.5mm from the tread face.
d) The visible portion of each stud must be no more than 5mm in diameter, and any cross-section of the visible stud (as originally installed) must be perfectly round in shape, and must be of solid construction, not hollow.
e) The studs must be commercially and commonly available, and of conventional design, from tire dealers in the Rally West or BC regions (i.e., no homemade or specially imported studs).
f) There must be a maximum of 130 studs per tire, regardless of tire size
g) Studs must be run on all four corners the car
h) Studs cannot be replaced in, or added to any tire for the duration of the event once the tires have passed scrutineering.
i) All studded tires must be presented to the scrutineer before they can be used on an event
j) Studs are permitted in all Regional classes.

·
Registered
803 Posts
you can specially import them as long as you make them generally available :)

the only "real" problem is the 130 stud limit, that makes even decently studding c5s fairly hard... that limit stems from some highway regs

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- Thanks!

PS. I don't agree nor understand why you can't use Lock-Tite ??? It makes studs to last 100x longer....

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>- Thanks!
>
>PS. I don't agree nor understand why you can't use Lock-Tite
>??? It makes studs to last 100x longer....

I think the, Idea was to try and standardise the tires and to take away any 'trick' advantages. the reality of our scrutineering is that we probably couldn't tell if the studs were glued in or not!

In some ways this can be seen as 'baby steps' to better things, although the size and numbers are lowest common denomonators from provincial traffic acts.

I know that norm's studding at Cochrane was much more aggresive than my studding was ... but I didn't max out the rules.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I looked at Norm/Joes tires and I dont think they are maxed out within the rules in any case.

The issue is the number of studs. If you max out the stud length, stud size, stud shape, tire compound, tread block (all so that you get the most out of the stud), the raw fact is that it cant take that kind of abuse since there is a low overall number. So they rip out. So essentially, the compromise is to use a 'extremely agressive street stud' as opposed to 'rally stud'.

Of worth to note, is that a 'swedish recce studded tire i.e. C5' would fit within the rules, if limited in total number of studs. The 'recce' tires are a lot less aggro than the 'stage' tires. The 'c5' falls into the recce tire category. They last longer too because the studs are less agrressive. If we didn't have a silly government reg in the way concerning roads we rarely use, we could buy these VERY COMMON tires right off of the Scandinavian shelves and use them here in our events. For a delivered price similar to or slightly less than gravel tires (I know I brought in some michelins last year). But I think that is still more than what we are paying for what we are using now, so where we are is probably a good balance for now. I didn't check Norms and Joes tires for how worn they got.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Out West,

What tires have you guys studded?

It sounds like nobody has studded the C5's....but I could be confused.

I'm just wondering what people have used. Hakkas, Yokes, C5's, etc. etc......

Brian

·
4,813 Posts
Pat,
Peter and I measured norm's studs, and they were at the max for size and exposure ... although a few KM on pavement woudl have changed that (slightly, I would think) - mine were no where near out far enough.

Brian,
I was running Semprit Ice Grips, the same tire I used on my RX7 in the fall without studs, and they were fine. Given the choice and budget it'd be hakka 2s no question.

·
4,813 Posts
My studs are in storage at my co-drivers place, adn beleive it or not - I don't generally take pix when I'm competing - too much of a distraction.

I'll see what I can dig up for you!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks!

I'm just really curious and intrigued all at the same time.

This whole studded tire idea could make me dust off the cob webs and run another winter event.

I had less than zero interest in running another ice rally.....but studs changes that thought process.

Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts