Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that street studs are allowed in Quebec for the 2wd regional classes.

WHO has run these? Opinions?

Are the street studs "better" than say the WR26's or the F720's with tractionizing?

Also, did anyone (not sure if it's legal) take a proper snow or ice tire (WR26 or 720) and put street studs in them?

I'm just pondering these winter events in a 2wd car and looking at tire options.

Brian

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Brian,
We also introduced street studs in Western Regionals and I trhink they were a big success. Unfortunately we also introduced pace notes and recce at the same event so it is hard to judge which had a larger impact on the speeds.
NOBODY ran studded c5s but several people took the best advantage that they could out of the rules and had reasonably aggressive studding.
I was getting used to a new car, and was really driving conservatively, so they probably didn't make a huge difference for me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
a good way to look at it is to compare the regional and national time at Perce neige....for the 2wd car....let say look at J Nichols time....he was on regular tires....and look at the regional winners time...he was on studs....

then....compare the same team on a gravel rally like the BDC were Nichols did a 3e place overall....and every one ad the same tires...

you will see that stud made huge difference...

thats the way i looked at it...i mite be wrong....but...you see a major difference.

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not sure what tires you'd use for street studs, but when I had studs in Newfoundland (lots of freezing rain) I noted that the street studs are only seated in two major lines around the tire. It's certainly not like packing the whole tire with these studs. Do some rally tires accept several (>2) circumferential lines of these street studs? Stopping distance on pavement is crap on even these two lines of studs (not that this is a major issue on winter rallies, save transits).
Craig

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kchamm/rally1.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts