Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or has there been a sudden silence from out east?

Richard picked up a 9 minute penalty ???

I guess we have becoem spoiled by the normally fantastic service that Rally America has been giving ... but I'd like to see more information out there ...

·
Registered
625 Posts
They messed up on my scores for the 2nd leg of the event... They only have 3 stage times instead of all of them? Who do I talk to?
I was so whipped that I slept right on through the awards this morning........

Larry

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Here's the best one so far...From the Rally America web site:

Sat 05-Jun-04 22:51
Another casualty of STPR is the camera of Morgan Segal. It was reported out on Special Stage 5 and has retired from the event. Unfortunately we will not have any more pictures to post from Morgan tonight. Hopefully he will get the needed parts in time to have it rebuilt for Pikes Peak in three weeks.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, Wazoo Racing Subaru Impreza WRX, Production GT Class
http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Was awake 36 hours before registration, Turns out 15 year old scary vans dont like big hills....

Then I lost my brake caliper on the practice stage, and then, the service van got a flat after picking us up from the practice stage...

AND THEN... we smoked the engine in the watercrossing.. and I WASNT EVENT GOING FAST! :(

Then, the nice people at Harlands Family restaurant towed our service vehicle, after we ate there.

Then on the way home, I lost the rear brakes on our van, the hardline split, that was fun. I crimped it with vice grips and now I am home.. Finally.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>Here's the best one so far...From the Rally America web
>site:
>
>Sat 05-Jun-04 22:51
>Another casualty of STPR is the camera of Morgan Segal. It
>was reported out on Special Stage 5 and has retired from the
>event. Unfortunately we will not have any more pictures to
>post from Morgan tonight. Hopefully he will get the needed
>parts in time to have it rebuilt for Pikes Peak in three
>weeks.
>

Except they didn't post the photos I did give them before the camera died. So now I have a $5k paperweight and nothing to show for it. Rain killed it.
It's a good thing this rally photography pays so well http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>It's a good thing this rally photography pays so well
>http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Oh hell Morgan, we're all diseased! But FWIW, Lorne Trezise took a shot of the Bug at STPR last year and got it published in both Rally World mag and Grassroots Motorsport - which means he made more money on my rally program than I did! :7

Of course, I doubt that windfall would cover much in the way of broken cameras ...

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>
>Oh hell Morgan, we're all diseased!

Ah, the disease, yah I know about dat.
I figured this would happen sooner or later, shooting this stuff beats the crap out of the cameras. Unfortunately for me, it's my daily driver, so I can't afford to have the camera sit in the garage until I get the money to fix it.

But FWIW, Lorne Trezise
>took a shot of the Bug at STPR last year and got it
>published in both Rally World mag and Grassroots Motorsport
>- which means he made more money on my rally program than I
>did! :7

Which means he was able to buy lunch;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
When Pat Moro and I discovered that Otis Dimiters had moved to Group N, we were expected a steady run to take PGT. 'Twas not to be. Pat missed my double caution call 9 miles into SS4 and we went off hard over a crest straight into a tree. Needless to say, the car was very heavily damaged.

We spent 45 minutes waiting for the stage to re-open due to the fire on SS3, and got to know the guys in the hunting cabin at that corner very well. They were ready to cook up some deer steaks for us, until sweep took us to the end of the stage. We waited there for 9 hours for a rollback to come get the car with Barbara and Ed, stage captains from Michigan who were terrific.

The rebuild means Pat misses Pikes Peak and Maine, but we'll be back in the hunt at Ojibwe.

Neil.

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Your PGT story sounds almost exactly like ours. With 4 entries in PGT we expected a class podium finish as long as we kept it on the road (assuming at least one other PGT casualty, sorry guys :) ) but alas it was not meant to be. Flipped the car off the road on SS6 (R5>3). That was the final tragedy in a rough weekend full of setbacks. We were wanting to do Rally Baie-des-Chaleurs in a month but it may not happen now.

I met Barbara and Ed and Paul and the rest of the Primo stage crew guys last year when I worked radio at start of stage 4. Great bunch of workers! If I ever work again I'll be requesting to work with them again.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, Wazoo Racing Subaru Impreza WRX, Production GT Class
http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
183 Posts
I felt bad for you guys when we came upon you in the sweep vehicles. We were hypothesizing that the sight of our car mangled by the side of the road (and the implication of handing the class win to you) distracted you enough to miss the next tricky section. In reality, I'm sure your problems on SS4 were more related to the tricky conditions.

Coming from CA as I do, I was suprised just how much of a car-breaker the smooth PA roads can be.

Neil.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
He was where the competitors were before each leg. He was first one back ahead of the competitors. In between, he did something useful, as opposed to sitting around with his thumb up... well, you know. Sounds to me like he used his time and talent to the maximum benefit of the event and competitors.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Competitor liasion

You are wrong to think that the job descriptions of each position allows one person to be both competitor liasion and course opening (in any performance rally larger than a rallysprint)and belittle the liason's role. Course opening was at least 15 minutes ahead of the first car and has to maintain a schedule ahead of rally itself. Generally, its the newbies, back markers or cars suffering lateness for one reason or another who need contact with the competitor liasion. This person should be available at rally HQ, the green at STPR the entire time any competitors are scheduled to be there and at service areas whenever teams are scheduled to be there. The delays at STPR even put him further ahead of the teams running behind.

·
Registered
240 Posts
RE: Course Opening

For the 3 stages that I spectated ( Asaph and two at Colton Point) the course opening 0 car was never 15 minutes ahead of the first car. More like 30 or more minutes. Somehow 000 and 00 didn't make it to Colton Point.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts