Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having kept myself awake much longer than my weary body is used to and having set up the VCR to record the thrilling action....boy was I disappointed.

OK, so this is a personal gripe but nevertheless.... John Drislane provided one of the few exciting moments by almost running over the Speed Channel camera (sorry Jeff!!) and you guys didn't show it!!! Then to add insult to injury... yes we were disqualified but this happened after the event so your leaderboards during the event were wrong, Doug. Beginning to feel that this is a personal vendetta against the Irish.

John's codriver

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
Yes. I was right there when that happened. Talked to that cameraman when we saw him again at the Brewhouse in Maine. He said it was because of insurance reasons that they couldn't show it. As much as I would have liked to see the footage, I can kinda understand why it wasn't shown. John nearly wiped out an entire line of spectators. I still am totally amazed that nobody got hit.

Just before going off the road:
http://www.onalimbracing.com/2002stpr/dscn1476.jpg
The aftermath:
http://www.onalimbracing.com/2002stpr/dscn1481.jpg

Pete

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ronan -

It's not about you. It's not even about the Irish.

It is about the image they want to associate with the sport. There are people that want rally to go away. Showing people in harm's way is the fodder those against rally are looking for.

Heck, we almost drove off a bridge at Maine right in front of a Speedvision camera. Bet ya they don't show that, even though the footage is probably pretty exciting. (And no, I do not think our stupid bridge mistake is worthy enough to be on Speedvision....just using it as an example of the coverage they do not want to show.)

They are selling a package, not event coverage.

Email me if you want to hear me rant....

Daphne

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can understand why they don't show certain footage for the reasons mentioned....but it was pretty boring. I think Tim Winker did a much better job for the 2001 Pro Rally Season than the guy now being used.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But the key question is..... do millions tune into NASCAR to see cars driving around in a big oval all day? No, they tune in for action and that includes... shhssssh don't tell anyone.... CRASHES.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... and it's not that I am suggesting that all they show are "offs" but the coverage makes the sport look like it is a leisurely Saturday afternoon drive..... and to grow the sport we need the next wave, the younger generation to become interested and ultimately to participate.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm on Ronans side on this, action shots are what the show needs, peril to spectators be damned. there were like 8 on camera interveiws during the show, time better spent showing cars. anyone notice that there are never any shots of jumps? they can show competitors flipping over, spectators rolling them over again, but the line is drawn at a SV camera being hit. and if the reason was the image of prorally, mentioning a speeding violation on air was smart, why not just say a rules infraction.
Joshua Tree

·
Registered
452 Posts
hmmmmm.....

WRC coverage FOCUSES on the crash/bang-em-up oopsies...
makes the coverage THAT much more exciting...

example?
my put-put mobile made a local NW news channel...
not that i was thumping on the Open class cars... ;)

i erm... did a 180 spin mid corner... into an ebraked 180
to get going the right direction..
but of course i did it right in front of the TV cameras...
that made the news.... because it's EXCITING!
hehehehe and kinda funny....

point is... if it's exciting, caught on film,
why not show it???
someone from the ratings dept
needs to talk to the guys in the Insurance dept
and get this ironed out! :p

I know you guys (at SPEED) are trying...
but it could be so much better!!!
dont get me wrong.. i love the FACT that
SCCA PRO rally gets coverage....
ahhh but it could be sooo much more!
cheers!
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
Registered
946 Posts
>i erm... did a 180 spin mid corner... into an ebraked 180
>to get going the right direction..
>but of course i did it right in front of the TV cameras...
>that made the news.... because it's EXCITING!
>hehehehe and kinda funny....
>
>point is... if it's exciting, caught on film,
>why not show it???
>someone from the ratings dept
>needs to talk to the guys in the Insurance dept
>and get this ironed out! :p

Roger Hull made Portland Television before Oregon Trail was a National. All he had to do was go upside down in front of the camera. Yes, his car IS 4wd... And we have TV footage to prove it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts