Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I cannot see what you think is so great about a team missing a flying finish board and putting control workers in danger!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, you've got me there. I have a low entertainment threshold and poor taste. Rally videos almost always include crash scenes that potentially endanger spectators, competitors and workers. That doesn't make them any less entertaining.

·
Registered
374 Posts
were any people injured in that accident? That could have been a nasty situation...

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>I cannot see what you think is so great about a team missing
>a flying finish board and putting control workers in danger!

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you about the fault on this one Tom. That driver was appropriately off the throttle after he passed the red sign but was caught out by a poorly laid out, blind finish control. After watching that clip several times I'm of the opinion that it would have been dodgy getting stopped safely had they placed the finish where the yellow warning sign was. Drivers expect enough room after the finish line to get stopped without taking drastic measures to do so and with the velocity that car had he needed a LOT more room than that.

As precheck for the 100AW this year I recommended they shorten the first stage a couple of tenths due to the kind of velocities I suspected the top cars would reach near the end of that stage coupled with the fact that there was no line-of-sight to the timing vehicle (and subsequent T-intersection) at the flying finish. Better to sacrifice less than a quarter mile than flirt with a collision. FWIW, Kim nor any of his crew flinched at any suggestion I made - it was a great working relationship.

((edited for spelling))

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
International Rallying Icon
669 Posts
>gosh... that is almost scary to watch.
>
>Philip J. Boer
>grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

You aren't kidding. I always make it a point to tell my driver to "shut it down" when we pass the flying finish. Just an extra litle bit of safety in the event that someone positions a control such as this (i.e. poorly). I also take note of the distance between the flying finish and the finish control as listed in the route book in an effort to maybe catch something such as this.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
looks like he actually stopped with the help of a car to the left, maybe just lightly bumbed it, very poor shut down situation

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Been there. Done that. Cherokee Trails years ago. Had the car sideways past the control table. Crew wasn't at the table though as they had bailed into the brambles in the ditch as I got there. Ended up neatly parallel parked at the tee. But chose to move quickly as there was a very fast car behing me. Proved to be a good decision as the following car went into the ditch where I had been.
Richard

·
Registered
117 Posts
I couldn't help but notice that the yellow warning sign was on the right side of the road while the red finish line sign was on the left.

Will MacDonald
1968 Volvo 144

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow.
Just a little poor form on the Finish Control setup, eh?
I'm sure BOTH the Driver and Co-Driver got out and started swearing up a storm! (I would've)
It appears as though nobody was hurt, thank god...
Of course, if they setup that Control that poorly, I'm sure all the Control Workers went over and asked, "Why'd ya come in so hot for?"
I would love to find out what happened after that....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts