Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know if this was exactly a new flash. It sounds cool to me, I sure like group B cars.

[link:www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/rally/11576/|here is the article]

-Chris

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
He ran 2 years ago as well. Stig is a semi-regular and its a true riot to see him pilot that beast of a car up the hill. Good times, good times.

Promising entries so far this year.

·
3,740 Posts
Keep it on the DL but PPIHC allows fans to actually pick where they watch from, just not where they park (assigned parking, but hike to where ever you want, as long as they don't think you're going to die they will leave you be). Local photog has a photo of a spectator from 2 years ago that wasn't paying 100% attention on the insde of the turn and had to dodge the wing on an open wheel car when he cut the turn too sharp.....

But shhhhh, keep it quiet....

·
Memphis Rally Nerd
462 Posts
Yeah man, its too bad some more 'restained' version of GrpB couldnt come back again. Those cars LOOKED the part too. Not sombre looking japanese sedans.

·
3,740 Posts
shouldn't be a problem, just get there at o'dark 30 sat morning and hang around hte pits till 7 he should be there for a while along with most all of the other teams.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was on the rocks at Devils Playground in 2001 when this same thing happened. A fan was standing on the inside of the corner right at the edge of the road when the driver spun slightly then floored it almost running over the fan who had to dive out of the way. That year they also ran a prototype electric car that they had to put a siren on because it was so quiet they were afraid no one would know it was coming.

Plan to be at the Devils Playground again this year with digital still and video cameras for the fun. Stiq's run in the RS 200 was truly cool in 2001 - and thats before I even knew it was a group B car!

On the plus side the race organizers do have safety teams stationed regularly on the course to try to prevent any injuries from occurring - of course they didn't care about the crazies that liked to stand on the exit from the Devil's Playground hairpin and get hit by gravel from the cars - this was actually thought by some to be a great experience.

·
3,740 Posts
>I was on the rocks at Devils Playground in 2001 when this
>same thing happened. A fan was standing on the inside of
>the corner right at the edge of the road when the driver
>spun slightly then floored it almost running over the fan
>who had to dive out of the way. That year they also ran a
>prototype electric car that they had to put a siren on
>because it was so quiet they were afraid no one would know
>it was coming.
>
>Plan to be at the Devils Playground again this year with
>digital still and video cameras for the fun. Stiq's run in
>the RS 200 was truly cool in 2001 - and thats before I even
>knew it was a group B car!
>
>On the plus side the race organizers do have safety teams
>stationed regularly on the course to try to prevent any
>injuries from occurring - of course they didn't care about
>the crazies that liked to stand on the exit from the Devil's
>Playground hairpin and get hit by gravel from the cars -
>this was actually thought by some to be a great experience.

I think you are talking about 16 mile, not devils playground.....

Anyway thats where the incident I described happened, I beleive it was Jimmy Keeney driving and a guy in a black leather jacket that almost got impaled.

I like getting on the inside of that hairpin, you just have to be super alert and have escape plans to go either direction at all times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts