Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.trans-amseries.com/

Steve Johnson currently of Champ Car, formerly of the SCCA, the guy in charge of the demise of SCCA Pro and Club rally has killed another series: Trans-Am.

Steve Says, “We have elected not to renew the licensing agreement with the Trans-Am Series. Any further comment on the matter should come from SCCA Pro Racing.”

SCCA isn't ready to pick up the peices quite yet it seems, so there will be no 2006 season.

Its a shame because Trans Am has been a blast to watch--was disappointed when it wasn't covered anymore on HDNet.

I know Trans Am, and the support races are a big part of why I went to the Champ Car races. Don't think I'd go if it was just Champ car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Apparently he's the racing version of a corporate hatchet man thats put in charge to trim the fat. A motorsport Jack Welch, w/o the return on investment :+

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Scott Molvar #899
'93 Nissan Sentra
(sexy primer grey)

http://rallydirt.com

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Steve Johnson currently of Champ Car, formerly of the SCCA,
>the guy in charge of the demise of SCCA Pro and Club rally has
>killed another series: Trans-Am.

I lay the 'blame' for the fortunate end to SCCA's involvement with stage rallying squarely at the feet of Pete Lyons, SCCA's "risk manager." Of course, you can blame whomever you care to.

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>I lay the 'blame' for the fortunate end to SCCA's involvement
>with stage rallying squarely at the feet of Pete Lyons, SCCA's
>"risk manager." Of course, you can blame whomever you care
>to.

I agree, it would be hard to put sole reponsibility on Johnson, its just quite a coincidence that something very similar is happening at his new job.

I'd say that, true, it probably wasn't his idea, but he doesn't seem to be championing for the sake of the series being cut.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>http://www.trans-amseries.com/
>
>Steve Johnson currently of Champ Car, formerly of the SCCA,
>the guy in charge of the demise of SCCA Pro and Club rally has
>killed another series: Trans-Am.
>
>Steve Says, “We have elected not to renew the licensing
>agreement with the Trans-Am Series. Any further comment on the
>matter should come from SCCA Pro Racing.”

In other words, the principals at Champ Car aren't investing any more of their own money runniung teams to prop up the series, so why should they license it from the SCCA?

>SCCA isn't ready to pick up the peices quite yet it seems, so
>there will be no 2006 season.
>
>Its a shame because Trans Am has been a blast to watch--was
>disappointed when it wasn't covered anymore on HDNet.

I effectively stopped watching it about two years ago. The times I've tuned in to the race broadcasts since then hasn't inspired me to watch to the end (of course, I can say that about Champ Car and IRL/IndyCar too...)

>I know Trans Am, and the support races are a big part of why I
>went to the Champ Car races.

The only reason to go to Champ Car races is the Pace Car team (some of whom are/were rally competitors) ;)

Adrian

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
The marketing rights to TransAm were held by Paul Genolottzi who in turn allied with Champ Car. The decision was Paul's, not Steve's.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: indycars

Adrian,
I think the races are pretty entertaining, both series'.
But I'd like to see Almendinger/Hornish.
At least in rally we have the "Matt Iorio effect".
rz

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>The marketing rights to TransAm were held by Paul Genolottzi
>who in turn allied with Champ Car. The decision was Paul's,
>not Steve's.

Exactly. He also ran 2-3 cars (including one for himself). I believe at least one of the other principals of Champ Car ran a team too.

Adrian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

>Adrian,
>I think the races are pretty entertaining, both series'.
>But I'd like to see Almendinger/Hornish.
>At least in rally we have the "Matt Iorio effect".
>rz

ChampCar lost me with the 'required pit windows', and then the 'push-to-pass'. I find it excessively processional.

IRL hasn't managed to entertain me, and it puts far too many drivers in the hospital. Add the 'every second name is Danica' coverage this year, and I go looking for more entertaining things, like Grand-Am/Grand-Am Cup and Speed World Challenge. Also NASCAR on road courses and the classic ovals (Darlington, anyone?).

Adrian

·
Registered
689 Posts

Geeez we Rally folks sound like bitter ex's , SCCA is no more for us, we now have two girlfriends who pay attention to us named NASA and Rally America.
Trans has been dead for awhile this is no shock , PG and others propped it up with their money. Champ car will likely have ALMS joint events.As much as I like the series, Trans Am's heyday was loooooong gone.

Tom

·
Registered
777 Posts
Don't blame Steve. Blame the fact there were no cars running the last two years or so. There occasionly was a good race for one or two spots, but the fields were aweful. Most races averaged ten or less T/A cars. They only filled the field with old ASA cars that were 6-7 sec a lap slower. I know if I'd had a chance to go to a CART race, I really would of been disappointed with the turnout. Nobody is building cars for T/A anymore.

All the potential racers are going to Grand Am or Speed Challenge. I think the Speed GT is the equiv. of the T/A of old.

Not saying Champ Car couldn't of done some sort of revitalizing to it, but there's already too many avenues for sport car racers to take. No sense in diluting them all out even more.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cars aren't being built for the Trans Am because the promotion is not there. Speed World Challenge is so well promoted compared to Trans Am. You see factory teams there, a good TV package, a competitve environment, lots of fan support. Trans Amk has been ded for a few years, just hasn't had the sense to realize it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Cars aren't being built for the Trans Am....

Yes they are by: Porsche, BMW, GM, Ford, etc. just like they were in the 60's and 70's.

TransAm of late has been a bunch of look-alike Detroit iron crap road racing funny cars. BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rally is following the same idiotic formula.

The corporate paradigm continues to kill all forms of racing.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>>Cars aren't being built for the Trans Am....
>
>Yes they are by: Porsche, BMW, GM, Ford, etc. just like they
>were in the 60's and 70's.
>
>TransAm of late has been a bunch of look-alike Detroit iron
>crap road racing funny cars. BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>Rally is following the same idiotic formula.
>
>The corporate paradigm continues to kill all forms of racing.
>
>
>
Jens,
TransAm has grown when there was corporate sponsorship and shrunk when there wasn't. Same as World Challange today. The trick is to try to make sure no one manufacturer is overly dominate.
Richard

·
Registered
542 Posts
Jeez Jens,

When you came back you were interesting and sometimes relevent. Now you are just bitter. There are many low budget teams in all levels of motorsport that show better than their budget would suggest they should. That tells me and many others, that your ongoing complaints about corporate involvement are nothing more than hot air.

I am not sure if you were banned before, or just chose to leave on your own. Either way, I would not miss your constant whining about everything, if you left again. When was your last positive post?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts